Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Johnny Locks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
R100GS Drive Shaft

Hi all,
I've been lurking and reading this site a lot. I've read every thread relevant to my bike, and 100's that were tangentially related, and 100's more just for fun. Anyway, I acquired a '92 R100GS back in April. At the time it had 88K miles on it. It was clearly not fawned over, but also seemed like reasonable care had been taken of it and everything worked. It came with some service history, but a lot was missing, so I really don't know everything that's been done to it. There was something from a BMW dealer in the history that just said "warranty drive shaft." So I guess it's likely that the shaft was replaced at about 23,000 miles. I had read about the drive shaft issues and transmission cir clip dealio, and hoped everything would hold out for me for the riding season and that I would look at the drive shaft in the winter.

I put 7,000 miles on it over the summer, it's now at 95K and I'm holding the driveshaft in my hands. Having no experience with what the u-joints should feel like, it's a little hard to judge the condition, but one axis of the upper joint feels real tight. Feels to me like it isn't right. Certainly feels different than the one on the other end, that one seems real good. What say you? Should I just have it rebuilt? Anyone near Minneapolis that could give it a look?
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote