ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Harley Beemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
gps

Trailtech Voyager.

But too early to tell if I love it yet.

Need to load some maps on it.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
VT-OregonTransplant OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Dismount

[QUOTE=... and then you drop the glove and can't reach it, so then you're off of the bike.[/QUOTE]

bahhh i havnt done that yet. Yes that would be obnoxious.

Harley Beemer i was looking at that one too. really seems like the best price and still seems capable from what i have read. Please let me know how you like it...
VT-OregonTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
This one is only $22.95 and no batteries required........

You will need that for sure. Plus one for each surrounding state... And then a second copy so you can tear the pages out and bring them with you.

I have a Garmin 60csx. I like it a lot. They are old now and probably only available used. If you can find one, you can probably pick it up for much less than a newer unit. Most of the functions it lacks that the newer ones have are really not necessary. Stuff like wireless transfer of tracks and routes to other Garmin units with that capability. The screen is probably better on the newer ones too but the 60csx has a pretty good one (especially if the backlight is on).

If I budget was not a concern, then I would get a Montana.

To be honest, the hardest part of using a GPS is figuring out the software so you can get what you want downloaded into the unit. Also maps are expensive from Garmin. There are some really good free ones available online if you search around a bit.

MasterMarine screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 12:56 PM Reason: speelingg
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,248
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisp...sprune=-1&f=75
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrix View Post
The Garmin 530hxc is a nice handheld unit. The screen is small, but it is great for riding with buddies since it doubles as a 2 way radio. When there are 2 or more they send the GPS signal when you 2 way, showing your friends where you are if you get separated. Here are the specs. You may need a degree to figure out how to use all the features, but once you do this little thing rocks!

7 radio NOAA weather channels with a weather alert function
7 FRS (Family Radio Service) channels, 0.5 watts of power
15 GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) + 8 GMRS that operate on Repeaters (GMRS channels require FCC license to operate on, $80).
Up to 5 watts of power for longer range transmissions on GMRS, up to 14 miles (Canada is limited to 2 watts and no repeater)
56MB memory for downloadable maps and customized way-points
It’s waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
It monitors barometric pressure and plots it on a graph
Operating temperature from minus 4 to 140 degrees F
Menus that can be customized
Up to 16 hours of battery life.
Dozens of satellites for accurate geo-locations
Auto waypoint tracking
Compass
Ambient temperature reading
2.2 inch color TFT display
Weight is 10.3 oz
Unit dimensions: 7.5”H x 2.3”W x 1.8”D
Allows sending and receiving the locations of your and other Rino units.
I have one of these and find it useless for adv riding, screens two small to see while moving, and difficult to get a real feel of where you are. I do like the buddy location part of it. It works great for snowbiking.
It might just be me.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #21
killowatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
OK
I'm going to throw in my 2 cents
I have used a Garmin Oregon 550 for about three years now and it has treated me perfect. I've beat the crap out of it on the bars on my bike for almost 10,000 miles now. its been dropped, wrecked, crashed, rained on, ect. the only issue i have ever had is a poor connection when using shore power. the loose connection on the mini usb plug would cause the unit to turn on and off and would eventually "lock up" until it was powered down for a few minutes. not using the external power has not been a problem though, I usually get a full days use from a pair of rechargeable AA batteries.

the oregon's screen is a bit small and i would love to jump up to the montana series but that requires more money and they have had some durability issues with some of the internals. I think an earlier post in this thread mentioned a bad connection at the battery and Hodakaguy did a bit about a broken antenna lead. like i said before the oregon is a tough unit. due to the small screen i don't usually try to navigate with this unit in the field. (thats what the map is for) I generally preload a route from base camp and just follow the line on the screen or set a way point and use the "go to" feature.

you can get it preloaded with a topo map. I chose to purchase the 24K micro card topo map rather than the preloaded 100K map. the 24K detail is amazing. it holds an amazing amount of tracks and points. I have all the OBDR routes programmed in with room for more. Before you buy a new unit be sure to compare the track log capacity. My buddy has a 60CX thats a dam nice unit but not enough storage to hold the OBDR tracks

i can use the touch screen with my riding gloves as it seems to be pressure sensitive instead of thermal sensitive like the phones.

oh yea, the camera. true its not a high resolution fancy camera but it does take pretty good pictures. I have to say that i almost didnt spend the extra 50 bucks to get the camera but im glad i did. while my nice camera is always in a pocket or tank bag, the Oregon is always right there when you want to grab a quick shot

anyone thinking they can use there smart phone apps have it all wrong. true i love that i can get google earth or road maps on my phone but most of the places i like to ride are Sans Cell Service. then all you have is a flashing pin on a blank screen. thats not to say I travel without it, i do but its safely stowed in my pack.

the trail tech unit looks cool but seems like it has limited applications. as i understand it, the tracks have to come from a proprietary supplier. The Oregon is small enough to carry when hiking or use in the car. plus the price has come down on these quite a bit. my guess is that Garmin is phasing out the oregon series in favor of the montana

like i said, just my 2 cents.

here is the unit in a Ram mount. It has yet to get knocked out. I only have good things to say about the ram mount stuff!

here are some pictures taken with the units 3.2 megapixel camera. Not too shabby...

checking out an old homestead in dry valley

regards,
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
VT-OregonTransplant OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
OK
I'm going to throw in my 2 cents
I have used a Garmin Oregon 550 for about three years now and it has treated me perfect. I've beat the crap out of it on the bars on my bike for almost 10,000 miles now. its been dropped, wrecked, crashed, rained on, ect. the only issue i have ever had is a poor connection when using shore power. the loose connection on the mini usb plug would cause the unit to turn on and off and would eventually "lock up" until it was powered down for a few minutes. not using the external power has not been a problem though, I usually get a full days use from a pair of rechargeable AA batteries.
All great info. I am so torn between like 3 or 4 different models.

the Garmins, Oregon, CS (models), and the dream Montana

and then the Voyager.

I have come to realize that being a new rider I just need to find some riding buddies and chances are they will have one. Not to toot my own horn but i am a mountaineer and pretty damn good with a compass and map.
I am going to go get a Oregon Rec trails map.

Any Idea where i could find one in Bend?

Thanks for everyones help.
VT-OregonTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #23
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-OregonTransplant View Post
All great info. I am so torn between like 3 or 4 different models.

the Garmins, Oregon, CS (models), and the dream Montana

and then the Voyager.

I have come to realize that being a new rider I just need to find some riding buddies and chances are they will have one. Not to toot my own horn but i am a mountaineer and pretty damn good with a compass and map.
I am going to go get a Oregon Rec trails map.

Any Idea where i could find one in Bend?

Thanks for everyones help.
I am pretty partial to maps as well, but when you are traveling hundreds of miles it is pretty tough to keep all of the 24k maps you need right in front of you. I have the Oregon 550t but if I had a choice now I would get the Oregon 450. The camera is OK as long as you don't zoom at all, so to take decent photos you need another camera with you and the topo maps can all be sourced for free.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
If you decide to buy maps for your Garmin, you are better off buying them on a CD or DVD than on the card. If you buy them on the DVD, then you can put the ones you need on your computer and into your unit and use the storage on the card for other things. If you buy the card, you loose the extra storage. Plus, you cannot see the maps you paid for on Basecamp unless you have the card in your GPS and it is plugged into your computer.

Here is a link to where I have found some useful free maps. The US Planimetric NW and SW are both very handy. NW Trails and Topos are also very good for around here. If you spend enough time on that site, you can learn how to make your own maps.

Have fun out there!
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
norwstrider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
GPS's ??? There are so many

I currently have a Garmin Zumo 550, and a CX60. The Zumo is easer for me to use, but I find the CX60 to be more versatile for back road use. So I use the CX60 for Duel Sport, and the Zumo in my van. I have had both Garmin III, and Garmin IVs. The color screen is much easier to read than the black and white screen.
Happy Ridden
norwstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
dukegnarley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
OK

anyone thinking they can use there smart phone apps have it all wrong. true i love that i can get google earth or road maps on my phone but most of the places i like to ride are Sans Cell Service.
That is simply not true. I've been using a 7" galaxy tablet, and it doesn't have a cell connection at all. There are several apps which allow you to preload your maps, so you do not need cell service. Crafty Coder's Dual Sport Maps App is one of them. For routing roads, I just switch apps to Navigon.

The gloves not working on the touch screen is really the major drawback, but for the price, it's tough to beat.
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Another Montana user here. That thing is priceless. I have an 8GB SD card load with all the western states 24k maps and city navigator on the internal memory. I have the powered mount on both my bike and my tacoma and I use it for hiking. I like I can throw it in the river and know its going to fine when I pull it out. Or when its raining hard and water is slashing all over it, its not going to fail me. Its very visible in the sunlight without back lighting to burn power up. I can carry spare batteries for it that I can get at any store. Since it runs on both AA's or lith-ion. Garmin is always updating and adding features. Plus there are tons of support on this sight and others for it.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I just bought an Oregon 450. It is my first gps. I did a lot of online research before I decided what to get. For what I want and for the price I was looking to pay, I think it will work out just fine. I got it from GPSCity for $199. After some thought I decided to get CityNavigator Lower 49 as a download for a micro sd card. I have also put some maps on it from GPSFileDepot. I have been playing with it for about a week and so far I am happy with my choice. I have downloaded a bunch of tracks and routes from dualsportmaps.com. I am really looking forward to nicer weather so I can try it out on my bike (it was only 15 degrees yesterday).
Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
Hi'ya VT-Oregon trans.. Lot's of interesting information here; you started a great discussion. I am probably late to the party and I am sure you have since selected the desired toy, or umm I mean Santa has delivered something to your liking. That said I'll just throw my Nichol in.

I have been dabbling with GPS's since right after Desert Storm when Uncle Sam started issuing a POS called a PLUGGER. Fast Forward............ I now have 4 GPS's 3 0f 4 Garmin's. I use my Zumo 450 the most for highway travel. it works great for getting through large metropolises but I am not overly fond of it off roading. I have a Garmin M60 that has taken a hell of a beating in the last 6 years so the 60csx or any 60 series you can't go wrong. I have some friends who swear by their beloved 76's and convent them!

Well, to be a turn coat of sorts I purchased a Magellan Triton 1500 back at the end of 09 because 1) it was only a $168 new 2) it supports National Geographic Topographic mapping software 3 to replace my aging M60.

I have been using Nat-Geo Topo for around 10 years now and so what a great augmentation. I have just never really warmed up to Mapsource mainly because I was already using NGT before being introduced to it. None the less As trailrider showed you nothing like having a good map along and BenchMark is awesome. it always good to validate and or reroute via "manual paper manipulation" I have one with me all the time.

So here's my Triton

Topo allows me to load maps directly into my GPS in 7.5 USGS

See the mapping

another

Just open the software

Open the desired route (one earlier created)

load route select map section and load it too.... takes a few minutes to render it.

and there it is

I know Garmin owns or is the ruling king of the GPS world but there are cheaper alternatives that will get you from point to point.

What ever you get have fun with it and save travels.

OH, and one more thing. Radioman had a brand new 660 when we enter into Mexico and about halfway through it quit working and we had to get it replaced which Garmin was good for under warranty and logistically a bit of a challenge as we were outside the US.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #30
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
If you are looking at different models then you need to verify the units capability. You will want at a minimum:
  1. To be able to load maps
  2. To be able to load 3rd party maps
  3. To be able to load predefined routes with multiple waypoints
  4. Auto-routing capability (The maps and the GPS need to support this)
  5. Track navigation (follow a predefined track or at a minimum display a track)

Nice features are:
  1. Route creation/editing
  2. Display multiple tracks
  3. Waypoint download, creation & edit
  4. Navigate tracks with large amount of points (more than 500)
  5. Navigate routes with large amount of waypoints
  6. A large selection of downloadable maps (free is nice if the maps are good)

The other features you can get don't hurt but I find the above the most useful

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote