User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
o0synge0o OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Rolling the Dice, Day Trippin' from Vegas

I recently bought a new Tiger XC, after being bikeless since 2007 and so I figured I'd post up here to chronicle its use!

To start, I had my mind set on a Scrambler initially. I just think that they are really neat bikes and it has something that really appeals to me... BUT my friend Noelin invited me on a ride with a small group to Goldpoint, NV for Goldpoint's annual "Day after Thanksgiving dinner". I have been talking about getting a bike again for the last couple of years, and so I finally decided to rent a F800GS to go on this ride. Needless to say, I really didn't like the BMW. Now, I know it was a rental bike, and I have no doubt that they will do everything I want to do, better than I am capable of, but it wasn't the bike for me and the 400mi ride we did was a good way for me to decide that I definitely didn't want to plunk down any money on one. The steering was loose and twitchy, the honk-to-cancel turn signals annoyed the hell out of me, the headlight was pointless and I had to use the high-beam to see anything, the seat was a taint-splitter and I was in pain starting at about the 100mi mark, and the bike was a paintshaker, SUPER VIBEY.

At this point I was still intent on picking up a Scrambler, but I did like the ergonomics of the F800, so I figured I would swing by my local Triumph dealer and take the Tiger XC for a test ride the next day to compare... All the sudden I REALLY wanted a Tiger XC and my face hurt from smiling when I took my helmet off and gave the keys to the demo bike back.

I went back to the dealer again that Thursday to take the Scrambler for a test-ride, and while I still think it's a really neat, fun bike to ride, I think I'll look for one later on, at that point I was already hopelessly hooked and put a deposit down on a Tiger that night. I really wanted a white one, but I was able to save some bucks on the last 2012 they had in stock, so...

o0synge0o screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 01:55 AM
o0synge0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
o0synge0o OP
Adventurer

After a little bit of around the town two quick shakedown rides just up to Red Rock National Conservation Area(our local 13mi "scenic loop"/tight twisties) to get a feel for the bike...

I met up with Noelin(KTM SMT), Matt(Yamaha FZ8), and Jameson(Triumph Street Triple R) early one morning and we headed to a great Cafe in Boulder City, NV called "The Cup" for a killer breakfast before taking a spin out around Lake Mead, to Valley of Fire, and then back into town so I could get some break-in miles on her.

The 193mi Route:

The suspects:

The final destination in the back of the Valley of Fire:

Matt and Jameson took off the quick way, straight from Valley of Fire to I15 and into North Las Vegas, which shaves 50 miles or so off the trip back home. I wanted to keep adding on some more break-in miles and use the gears in some corners instead of droning on the highway, so Noelin and I went back through the lake and came back in the East side of Las Vegas. We were going to go on up to Red Rock for a whirl through the loop but we were both starving at that point having not eaten since breakfast and cut the trip short at the Red Rock Resort & Spa at the edge of town to have a bite and wrap up the day.

Next up, first mods and the last ride of 2012.

o0synge0o screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 01:59 AM
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Nice Valley of Fire photo. Your new ride is lookin' good.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
o0synge0o OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Nice Valley of Fire photo. Your new ride is lookin' good.
Thanks Red Rock Rider! I've added your thread to my reading list, we have a house in New Harmony, UT and a couple cabins up in Swains Creek so I do spend some time in your neck of the woods occasionally!