Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #31
moto rrad
ADV n00b

Oddometer: 93
Here's my shiny xf650 purchased about 6 months ago.

This winter she'll receive some upgrades. Looking for a bit more oomphh! Where would I find a full exhaust system for the bike? A dr650 spec header will fit?

Will also be making it a bit more offroad worthy. She will yet become the adventurer she was destined to be!

stu - in germany
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #32
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto rrad View Post
Here's my shiny xf650 purchased about 6 months ago.

This winter she'll receive some upgrades. Looking for a bit more oomphh! Where would I find a full exhaust system for the bike? A dr650 spec header will fit?

Will also be making it a bit more offroad worthy. She will yet become the adventurer she was destined to be!

stu - in germany
Get yourself a FMF 'bigbore',there's a huge weld restricting the exhaust at the head there!
Any silencer,and get someone like Fuel Exhausts in Kendal (nice cans there too!) to make
you a mid.pipe.With 'race can' and currently standard header,#125 main jets(115 std),lift the needles
2 knotches,the bottom ones,and it runs perfect.......just done 1000miles,all heats and elevations
great,spot on! Might be a while before my bike is back home,so the FMF purchase will have to wait,
there is a smaller bore pipe on eBay.de for Freewind in stainless,but know nothing about them!

Single mirror on the left for Spain/Morocco........so i dont forget which way the traffic flows! :)
Renthal 'Fatbars' are a worth while conversion,though you need some machining of longer mounting
bolts(M12) and around 20mm spacers to clear the fuel tank!(will show later!).
Pipe has cost me 70GBP to date,using a FMF can off a WR450 Yamaha that was free,but squashed,
a mid link pipe,a sleeve and band from Fuel Exhausts.
MRA screen........S W Motech stand.......braided line i made myself.......few other little bits,and as said
earlier,i wanted more of a 'trail bike' look by getting shot of that horrible sump guard(one from the USA to
come) and that rear wheel shield thingy.There's a caliper protector going where the mounts are later! Seat's
to go to France once home to get re-shaped......flat,unlike 2 stage at present!
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #33
ferritt
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I've recently bought one as a non runner, it had been stood for 2 years or so. I got it running easily enough but on my first ride discovered a nasty 3rd gear whine. I've read all the relevant posts on here and to be honest i'm unsure whether its safe to just ignore the whine and ride it. So far i've fitted heated grips and am just in the process of doing the gsxr 1000 exhaust swap. The new one for sale in yorkshire, uk, is near me and i had a look at it a couple of weeks ago, its a 2003 bike but unused.
ferritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #34
moto rrad
ADV n00b

Oddometer: 93
Hey somebody does read this thread!

I've took a look into some exhaust options.. and options are limited. I assume there is a slight gain to be made by opening up airbox / jetting / full exhaust. Haven't found any hard info as to if this is actually worth it or not. Also is the power/ fuel economy trade off worth it? I plan on doing longer rides with the bike and do not want to sacrifice any economy.

Anywho after a re-think I'll start with some other things first:

-Wirth (or Wilbers) Progressive fork springs. The front end at the moment is very stiff and harsh over sharp bumps. Believe the previous owner over filled the fork oil.

-Heavier spring on the rear shock (I think Wilbers makes one). I'm not a heavy guy (about 175 pounds in gear) but the rear, in contrast with the front end, is wayyy to soft. Even with the preload and compression dampening cranked up.

- steel braided front brake line. The single front disk is adequate, but lacking feel. Some braided lines should help with braking feel. Also need to replace the pads, because when the front brake get hot it turns into more of an on/off device.. hard to modulate.

- Seat.. is fairly comfy but I want to sit a bit higher up. There are a few replacement seat options I've seen on the web.. but none I like the look of. Will probably take the seat to an custom seat maker and get it modified for the same price or less than that of a replacement seat. I want it a little higher (ease the knee bend angle) and also to make it easier to move around. I hate the stuck in the rut seating position. Also change the material.. i find I stick to the stock seat, difficult to slide a cheek off when going into a corner.

- Handlebars - either get some new bars and /or some risers on there. Want the bars higher and more forward. Also throw some hand guards of some sort on there!

I think that's it! I want to make the bike into a comfy adventure bike. I don't commute on it, and most of the roads in the close vicinity of where I live are congested and boring. Will be mostly using it for overnight weekend trips and extended travel at every chance. This is my first dual-sporty bike and I've never really ridden off road before with the exception of a few gravel roads. There is definitively better sport touring options out there.. but I realllllly want the possibility to do light off road exploring. So that is what made me go for the freewind. The on road manners I find quite good. Obviously not a bike for motorway droning, but who wants to do that anyway. A few more ponies would really light my fire. We'll see what we can do!

Last thing, a question for you guys. The bike WILL NOT idle when it's cold. I have to run with choke on for about 15 minutes because otherwise every time I come to a stop the rpm's drop and it kills it's self. After 15 - 20 min of riding, the bike will be fully warmed up, and there is no further problems.. idles perfectly. What do ya think.. dirty carbs? Pilot jet? I do all my own maintenance .. but have never torn into a carb. That is where my knowledge ends.
I have run a few cans of fuel system cleaner through it, with no affect!

thanks for reading my novel,
cheers, stu
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 AM   #35
Hechicero
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by XF650 View Post
Fitted a DR650 front wheel for the "knarlier" rides. Biggest hassle was finding a front fender / mud guard. High mount options seem to interfer with the oil cooler so ended up fitting one off TF125 Mud Bug (farm bike), direct to the raised fork brace. Doesn't look pretty but it works.
What different do you feel when you use thiss front wheel?
How FW is driving in city and in "mood"?
Thank for your future answer! :)
Hechicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #36
furylow
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hello everybody!
New to the xf650 family, looking for some mods. I need a taller seat, and a taller screen also. Can anybodody help me?

furylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #37
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
God damn it that pisses me off we didn't get that bike in the US

I wonder if the frames the same as a DR, and a guy can buy the seat/bodywork on ebay and make one?
i'd say you can easily modify a dr650 to get the same effect with a mini screen and larger tank plus a rear rack, but yes the US gets shafted on alot of useful bikes that exist in other markets. the freewind is very much in the same category as the original BMW 650 funduro. bmw of course evolved that bike of the years and suzuki has done nothing.

anyone know? was the DR650 available in places the Freewind was sold or was it just the Freewind?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 01:59 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #38
furylow
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Yes, at least in Spain they were sold the dr650 and the xf650 at the same time.

Xf650 was the response to aprilia pegaso and bmw f650 lightweight, all rounder bikes
furylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #39
grki
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hello
With my XF650 in Italy Toscana in 2010

Greetings from Slovenia

grki screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 06:52 AM
grki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #40
pcfpatrol
pcfpatrol

Oddometer: 68

Have recently purchased a 1997 Freewind for my youngest daughter.
She went on her first ride a couple of weeks ago.

I hope the picture worls as I haven't posted one on here fro a while.

pcfpatrol screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 04:31 AM Reason: insert photo
pcfpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #41
pcfpatrol
pcfpatrol

So the stable now consists of a my bike, 2008 Honda Transalp XL700V, my eldest daughters bike 2007 Kawasaki KLE500 and the youngest doaughters bike 1997 Suzuki XF650 Freewind. Plans are well underway for a trip through outback NSW to Cameron Corner and then home through the Flinders Ranges. Intend to do this in July 2013. 6 bikes so far. Now to tell the girls mother
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #42
pcfpatrol
pcfpatrol

Givi pannier rack fro Suzuki XF650

Hello fellow Freewinders.
Being located in Australia, the only option I have fro pannier racks for my 1997 Freewind is the Hepco and Becker ones.
That said, my other bikes use the Givi boxes/panniers so I would love to get a Givi set.
Do any of you know how to get a hold of a set that can then be shipped to Australia?
Thanks for your efforts team.
Regards Peter.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #43
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I find Ebay Germany or Ebay Austria has a lot of Freewind parts, this seller will ship worlwide

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2211866100...075%26_rdc%3D1

Karl
K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 AM   #44
pcfpatrol
pcfpatrol

Thank you Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by K44rll View Post
I find Ebay Germany or Ebay Austria has a lot of Freewind parts, this seller will ship worlwide

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2211866100...075%26_rdc%3D1

Karl
Thanks Karl for your help. I contacted them and they will post for 39 Euro. The end price to me in Australia being 139 Euro is way better than the H&B racks I can get here.
I appreciate your input. CAll me when in Australia and I will buy you a beer.
Regards Peter
Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #45
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Glad to hear you got something sorted Peter

Karl
K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote