User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Riding with the kiddo, looking at a WR250F

So heres the thing, I've been out of dirtbikes almost 6 years now. Prior to that, I wasnt great, but I could pull my weight off road. I was never a motocross guy but I loved the trees and cross country action. Had mostly KX's, a couple of CR's and even a GasGas at the end.

Stopped riding off road and about 5-6 years ago but still ride the street semi-regularly. Now jump ahead and I'm dating an amazing woman for the last 6 months with an even cooler 11 year old son who has a 2001 Yamaha TTR125. And he loves it. Rides every day around the little 2 acre place they live at, in cirlces, as much as he can. (When we started dating he had an XR70 he was too big for, but that wasn't stopping him. I found him this TTR and we sold the XR.)

Now he's on me to start riding again, and I'm kind of excited about it. I would like to get him out on some of the OHV public areas and trails and away from just his front yard. He's never ridden anywhere but there. I need another bike. And another trailer. I'm looking at the Yamaha WR250's. I dont need a full blown motocross bike and I dont really think I need the 450. I've found a pretty clean and lightly modded 2004 WR250 for $2500 locally I'm considering. (and trying to sell my Celebrity boat I never use to buy it.) I like the idea of going 4 stroke this time but I REALLY like the idea of the e-start too.

What say you? 5 foot 11 inches. 180 lbs. Been away from the off road for a while. Chasing an 11 year old around the trails. The WR250 seems like a pretty perfect candidate for what Im needing. Anyone think otherwise? Or own one and have some advice?

chambersc screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 10:35 AM
chambersc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
Your considering the wr is good.....the lad continues to grow into more riding, it will also fit his size & the nail down that 450 you really want, later.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Went and looked at the WR again this morning while picking up ANOTHER front tube for the kiddos TTR. (If you ever need someone to find all of the thorns and nails in your yard, he is the king at it.)

The shop owner that has the WR may be interested in my boat, so this could end up an easier deal than originally suspected.

Turns out its an '03 and not an '04 like I thought. Any differences in those I should be worried about? First year of e-start I know. Not sure if there were issues with that. I haven't read anything thus far.

Its got new tires on it, new chain and sprockets, and a fairly new FMF Q4 muffler. I asked about the stock muffler because I'm a big fan of quiet and he was going to talk to the guy he bought it off of and see if he still had it. The Q4 appears to have the quiet core in it, but I'm sure its still plenty louder than stock. I just dont want to be the guy annoying land owners over a noisy can and I dont want to teach the young 'un that its ok either.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Seems you may be more excited about this than the 11 year old.... so am I. I did race in my younger years, got out of riding for many years for many reasons but now I am riding again, pushing boundaries and eating adrenaline. I could never compare my reaction time, strength PSI, or balls I had when I was young..... Kids amaze me. It's cool you have a common connection but never underestimate the power of the "young and fearless"!
Ride what ever is comfortable to you. I grew up with 2 strokes my whole life and am just now getting used to a 4 stroke thumper. For mostly trail/single track pleasure with a kid whose gonna be able to (or already can) kick my ass in short order the WR is a great choice, it is easier to pick your ass up.....lol

All in fun....
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm currently preparing myself for the "I'm not as good as I once was" concept. I know its coming. Not looking forward to my first fall. I didn't even think about them before. Now I am before the bike is even in the garage! Signs of getting old.

Time to find a new helmet too. Still have all of my gear, but I donated the old race helmet to the 11 year old when he got the TTR. (The boy has a BIG noggin!) Now I need to helmet shop this week. But its kind of cool to see the old custom silver helmet in use with a new generation. It was brand new when I stopped riding and got stored in the house so it is (or was) in pristine shape. Always back in the bag, etc. Now I find it lying on the garage floor all the time. I queitly pick it up and go on about my way and cry a bit each time I see a new scratch.

I told him tonight I had a deal in the works and he was lit up like Christmas morning. Now I just hope I can hold up his expectations for me. Instead of working like I needed to be today, i spent the afternoon mapping out the areas I wanted to take him to in order to ride in order of difficulty as I remembered it.

So yea, i may be more excited than he is. We're sticking the boat in the water after work with the new owner tomorrow to ensure its going to fire up and cooperate and he's going to service the WR tomorrow. All goes according to plan, we will make the swap tomorrow evening and I will be the proud new owner of a WR250.

Luck needed that I remember what the hell I'm doing on these things! It's been a while.

chambersc screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 02:58 PM
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, the deal is done and its home. Starts and seems to run like a champ. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but its a quick starting and quiet motor. Completely un-modded other than the Q4 muffler as far as I can tell. The snorkle is still in the airbox, the grey wire is still intact, and the throttle stop is stock. May putt around on it for a bit like that, then make the mods so I can appreciate the difference. The Q4 is still a little throaty for my tastes, but I think I can live with it. Now I'm ready to get out and ride...

chambersc screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 03:00 PM
Old 07-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I'm like a little kid with a new toy. Bars were slightly tweaked so I picked up some new CRHigh bars for it. I've got a new front tire for it as well. (the rear is brand new but the front was pretty wasted.) Ordered a factory YZ throttle stop online last night. Need to get some more tinkering done and get all of it installed.

I'm really resisting the urge to do all of the "free mods" like grey wire, throttle stop, airbox, etc until I get to ride it a few times first. Shear curiosity makes me want to know how much difference I can really feel.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got to tinker a bit last night on the new WR. It HAS been jetted and the throttle stop shortened. Running a 185 main jet with a 42 pilot with that FMF Q4 exhaust. I figured it had to have been. Its starts and runs WAY too easy to be stock (when they were notoriously lean from the factory) with that aftermarket exhaust. The air box snorkel was still in it so I pulled it out last night. New front tire installed to match the new back one.

Still haven't messed with the Grey Wire modification. I think I'm going to leave it for now and ride it some more to decide if I need to. Got a day of blasting around trails on Sunday with the boy planned. I think I'm more excited than he is. I brought it up last night and he shrugged and said "Cool." Really? I've been all giddy all week and I got a shrug and cool out of you? The excitement of pre-teens, I guess.

Heading to Taylor Park, CO with an old riding buddy of mine the week of the 6th of August. Nothing like a little Baptism by fire to get back into the riding game. Out of practice for 6 years? No problem, head straight for Colorado to beat yourself up a bit! That should take care of you...

Hoping to get the next couple of weekends in riding and get my dirt legs back under me a bit before the mountains.

And oh yeah, why did we wait so long to introduce electric start to the dirt world? Best invention since... well, EVER!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First real ride

Got out for a little over 3 hours today with the boy. Cattle trails, washouts, shale pits, a little singletrack, etc at a buddies place just north of town before the opressive 100+ heat hits this afternoon (It was 97 degrees already when we left there at 11am).

The kiddo did outstanding. Getting to teach him how to stand up while riding through obstacles, watching him pick up on line selection without me saying anything, coaching him over a small jump that he hit over and over again while stretching out a bit mor distance each time. Great day. We both had a great time and he is a napping fool right now. Totally wiped out.

AND, the WR ran flawless. Jetting is spot on, runs like a champ, and as much power as I need right now. Good purchase.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,295
Just make sure you agree on how long he waits before he comes back and pulls that thing off of you when on singletrack!

You will have just as much fun as him, but he will shortly be faster than you...forever.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I can see it coming already.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So... Half a dozen rides later

The boy is getting some skill built up and starting to look damned good on two wheels. Not sure how long before we outgrow the TTR125 and have to move up. Had him out 6 or 7 times for the day and he's picking it up quick.

AND, the old guy gets stuck.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally made a ride report on the Taylor Park trip. Details are a little sketchy now but the photos are decent.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852876