User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Cush Drive Hubs

The cush drive rear hub on my DR 650 is getting a bit loose where the bearings fit the hub so I am looking at alternatives.Either aftermarket or from another bike that may fit and are more durable. Before we went to ride the TAT I replaced the bearings in the rear hub, one side had obviously been loose before as the PO had put some peen marks in the hub (I locktighted that side in for good measure ) When I went to fit a new bearing to the cush drive it slid straight in so I replaced the cush drive. Near the end of the TAT I replaced the bearings again as they were showing signs of wear and the other side of the hub needed peening to hold the bearing in place. The stock hubs must be quite soft.
Procycle sell RAD hubs for the DR but they use the stock cush drive which is a POS. They are not a good design and are prone to flogging out the bearing'.

Anyone with experience of aftermarket ones or a good alternative ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,116
http://www.radmfg.com/Cush-Series-RE...radh-eq-1r.htm

Rad makes aftermarket cush hubs, a bit pricey but are quite strong.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Are the rubber inserts worn? They should be tight enough to hold the 2 parts together. Worn rubbers can cause all sorts of trouble.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Are the rubber inserts worn? They should be tight enough to hold the 2 parts together. Worn rubbers can cause all sorts of trouble.
Rubbers have been replaced. The design of it is no good as it relies on the rubbers to keep it aligned and the pull of the chain is trying to swist it out of line, side loading the bearing. As I ride 2 up most of the time there is probably more load on the drive train than if solo.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Rubbers have been replaced. The design of it is no good as it relies on the rubbers to keep it aligned and the pull of the chain is trying to swist it out of line, side loading the bearing. As I ride 2 up most of the time there is probably more load on the drive train than if solo.
I have the same problem. The only solution I've found is to replace the rubbers and carrier bearing frequently. A wider bearing would probably help.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Sounds like the same problem that plagues the V Strom 1000. The solution for that bike was to machine new spacers to tighten up the tolerances and prevent side loading. I dunno if it would work in your application, but it might be worth looking into. You might be able to duplicate that with spacers/shims (IE: washers). Just a suggestion.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,624
The hubs are aluminum,same as any hub on the market. Once a bearing gets worn and wobbles out in the hub the hub is ruined,same as any hub made. Or an owner drives a bearing out crooked and wrecks it. Or installs a bearing crooked and shaves aluminum off. Its not a Suzuki only problem.
Its the human using it,peening a hub to hold a bearing is a stop gap measure to sell a bike.

Replace with fresh parts maybe off ebay and dont screw the new hub up and there are no problems,my DR has 26000 hard miles on it with no sign of problems.