Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #5161
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Oddometer: 488
I have the H B side racks and rebuilding the rear fender once the tank is fit. I destroyed the wires, turn signals and license plate bracket when the rear fender broke off on a low side. Hoping that there will not be a clearance issue once I am done putting it back together.
Going to the steel yard tomorrow at lunch to pick out some material. Will post up some pics one it is put together.
I will keep my eye out for the pictures of the fuel line connection.

[QUOTE=tbarstow;20382606]Use steel for your first one.

I just used the included clear fuel line and looped it up under the bodywork and into the main tank vent. I'll get some pics tonight.
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #5162
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlevet View Post
I have the H B side racks and rebuilding the rear fender once the tank is fit. I destroyed the wires, turn signals and license plate bracket when the rear fender broke off on a low side. Hoping that there will not be a clearance issue once I am done putting it back together.
Going to the steel yard tomorrow at lunch to pick out some material. Will post up some pics one it is put together.
I will keep my eye out for the pictures of the fuel line connection.
Pics added to previous post.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #5163
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Easy enough on the fuel line hook up! Thanks for the pictures!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Pics added to previous post.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #5164
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Is anyone using dirtbagz on their xc? I just picked up a xchallenge and I'd like to figure out the luggage. The price is right, but how do they hold up?
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #5165
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
Is anyone using dirtbagz on their xc? I just picked up a xchallenge and I'd like to figure out the luggage. The price is right, but how do they hold up?
There's a thread mentioning them (luggage setups on a xchallenge?) where someone seems to be happy with them... you may want to PM him to find more. I'm endorsing Walter's Magadan bags, but their are larger and much more expensive.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #5166
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Dirt Bagz

I'm a fan. I've used them on several bikes now. They are rugged, simple and sturdy. You can see my setup in a ride report here. They are not waterproof so I use these for my clothes and roll-top waterproof bags for tools and other stuff. My shoes and jacket liner go in a waterproof bag on top. The design places the weight over the seat with some transfer to the frame via the Dirt Bagz rack. On the trip described in the linked ride report I encountered some heat issues from the muffler on the first day - a sharp tug on the rack moved the whole deal out enough to create some air space and there were no other problems on this trip.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #5167
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
The magadan bags are nice, but I just can't stomach the price...hence my interest n the dirtbagz. Giant Loop also has some new some soft panniers, to the tune of $650. Yowsa! Just getting higher now. Glad to hear that the dirtbagz are still working for you ph. I emailed their company a week ago, but still haven't heard back.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...

gastone screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 02:28 AM
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #5168
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
I had them, but wasn't convinced with mounting in just 2 points - too fragile

So sold on and swapped to HB racks

Never lookend back

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #5169
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
The Dirt Bags are a cheap way to put some Luggage on the XChallenge. Saying that I would not spend the money on them if you are going to travel with them.
Not Waterproof
Racks are not up to the task
Zippers clog with dirt and can be very frustrating.

IMO get something waterproof with roll tops.
I like the Madigans , Andy Straps, and the Wolfman Luggage.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #5170
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 729
Thumb Wolfman Luggage...

I use the Wolfman dry luggage and in western WA they are the best choice I could have made. After the rain I am so glad I have them I don't think I would ever get something that isn't waterproof or doesn't at least have its own inner water proof liner.

Just my 2 cents... good luck.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #5171
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Baja 1.1 gallon tank added to XC with Hepco Becker Racks

Thanks to Butter and tbarstow posts of their Baja tank addition I have completed my tank set up. Purchased at http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=572 This included brackets that mount to the top of tank and at the front tip. Included aluminum spacer not used. Replaced with rubber stopper drilled through the center.
With the physical help of grinding drilling and cutting 1/4 stock steel from Mouthfulloflake I present you picutres.

We did cut into the cross bar bracket to provide for addition 1/2 inch of room to play. Did not seem to compromise the stability of the bar at all.

Stock signals should mount just fine. Plenty of room.

Instead of using the supplied aluminum spacer we used a rubber stopper. This set up will allow for the tank to run with out the side racks installed.

About 1 inch clearance from the tank to the sidewall of tire.

Test run beginning of next week
Edit: The tank did great! No issues with clearance and it drained into the main tank just fine.

Earlevet screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 08:43 AM Reason: updated infomration
Old 01-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #5172
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305

I considered cutting out that same part of the rack. I agree with you and don't think that extra material has any effect on the strength of the rack. I'm still kicking myself for not doing this sooner as the tank had been sitting around my garage for at least a year and the extra range is nice if only to avoid frequent gas stops.

Props to Oggi for posting about this tank back in the day, wherever he may be.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #5173
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 181
Your Seat height?

What is your seat height with a stock seat?

I want to lower the bike 2 inches to swing my stubby legs over. I'm going to need a shock too.

I'm sending my new Shivers / forks from a Husky out for re-building and shorting. I like the seat height to peg spacing no knee issues, so I prefer to not cut out the
seat foam. I am be looking for a stock seat to rebuild. I don't want to destroy this one. I will post my seat needs
in the flea market.

Sorry I can't flip the photos. The look great on my computer, but come out sideways when I post them.

I have my forks lowered to the second mark from the top.
[IMG][/IMG]

I have an aftermarket seat.

The seat height is 37 1/4 in / 946mm at the level and 40.5 in / 1029 mm at the stick

06 FJR1300 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights - 2013 BMW F800GT 03 GasGas 280 Pro
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #5174
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
I'm a fan. I've used them on several bikes now. They are rugged, simple and sturdy. You can see my setup in a ride report here. They are not waterproof so I use these for my clothes and roll-top waterproof bags for tools and other stuff. My shoes and jacket liner go in a waterproof bag on top. The design places the weight over the seat with some transfer to the frame via the Dirt Bagz rack. On the trip described in the linked ride report I encountered some heat issues from the muffler on the first day - a sharp tug on the rack moved the whole deal out enough to create some air space and there were no other problems on this trip.
I've put about 5 or 6 thousand miles on my XC with the Dirtbagz now. No issues at all. I actually found a used set with racks, so I got the whole set up pretty cheap. I have torn the connecting strap off the right one, but that was in a pretty hard get off. (Broke my fibula and ankle) I added a heat shield from Giant Loop to help with cooking the bag that's against the exhaust. I've been lucky with rain, so I can't tell you how bad the waterproof problem is.
I did just add a GL Coyote bag. (They were on sale, and can be mounted over the Dirtbagz racks.)
I'd buy the Dirtbagz again though. Best bang for the $$..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #5175
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 648
+1 for Wolfman

Wolman gets my vote. I built the racks and the dry bags are super!

vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote