User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
StG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Riding Gear Advice

Between the following gear, I'm looking for opinions on what offers better protection for road riding/offroad riding/mixed riding.

Cordura jacket with soft d3o padding (like firstgear rainier jacket) OR pressure suit with nylon rain shell on top.

Also, do you think the nylon rain shell would provide any road rash protection for road riding?

Thanks!
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
A pressure suit will generally stay better in place so safer in that respect (and there are d3o and similar pressure suits out there, very good stuff if not to cold). And you've got chest protection.

But going down om tarmac at speed, neither rain shell or pressure suit is best for abrasion.

Best solution: Pressure suit with cordura jacket (with protectors removed) on top.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 210
I've owned the Rainier jacket and regularly use a pressure suit/shell combo. For myself it would come down to what bike I was riding and where I was riding it, for anything that starts to feel like dirt bike riding I much prefer the pressure suit plan.

I suspect there is probably documentation somewhere that says falling on asphalt in a pressure suit is worse than the same fall in a jacket with armor, I own a collection of textile and leather jackets that is difficult to justify and I use them for local trips to the city or day rides. All of my multidays involve enough dirt that I layer with the pressure suit and I don't feel anymore vulnerable during the pavement portions.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
StG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Hey, thanks for the feedback guys!

For some reason, I feel way more comfy wearing a pressure suit both on & off road. But since I paid $ for the cordura jacket, I guess I should start wearing it for on road riding. Next time, I'll definitely get a jacket roomy enough to also wear armor underneath!
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
bro.. very important to get some abrasion protection over any armor you wear. I would say that any crappy nylon rain jacket type thing would melt into your skin on impact and cause more harm then good. I'm not sure the climate where you ride but anything from a mesh kevlar shirt from draggin' jeans to cordura to leather.
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by StG View Post
For some reason, I feel way more comfy wearing a pressure suit both on & off road. But since I paid $ for the cordura jacket, I guess I should start wearing it for on road riding. Next time, I'll definitely get a jacket roomy enough to also wear armor underneath!
Sure it won't fit over your pressure suit if you remove the integrated armour (and if neccessary thermal liner) and loosen any adjustment straps. You might be surprised that it works, worth a try anyway.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Just got a BMG (Belstaff) Mercury jacket. It is made out of Cordura and is very warm. Has Knoxx CE armor. Not adventure style, but has a very long rear coat-tail, which I like.
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote