Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #1861
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Found this in another thread, looks like it's regarding the 1 1/8 bars but most likely a similar outcome to the 1 3/8 as well (If not, more so):

Easton makes tons of different handlebars like OE and Renthal.

This is from Eastons site. http://www.eastonexp.com/faq/

Q: Why 35mm?
A: Our testing and development over the last two decades has determined that it’s the ideal size for a motorcycle bar made from aluminum. 7/8 is just too small for performance or durability, and must be supported by a crossbar. 1 1/8 works well in many conditions, but is not as durable as the sport now demands. Other bars with blended 1 1/8" and 7/8" (Renthal® Twinwall) sizes are inconsistent in feel due to relative stiffness and weakness depending on direction of force - they’re also not nearly as durable.

Q: Will I be able to cut an Easton EXP bar down for woods work?
A: Many of the new off road bikes now pack hydraulic controls and some are even street legal with horns, starters and switchgear, so we’ve provided 200mm of flat on each end of our seven mx/sx/ax bends. Initially we also will offer a woods bend with 210mm of flat on each end that can be trimmed very aggressively if needed yet still carry all controls. The ends of the bar have precision markings to assist with even cuts.

Here a pic of the CR highs and the KTM/Suzuki bends I bought. My Freestyle /Woods high bars should be here anytime.

MentalGuru screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 11:58 AM
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #1862
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Chain lube

Most recently my bikes have been street, way different animal as far a chain lube goes. Hoping to be a high percentage of dirt/street (right now it's 0/0 due to weather). Any opinions? This one shouldn't be as bad as, "How should I break in my bike". Used to use 80 weight gear oil on my O-ring street, probably just going to attract dirt like a magnet on a DS.
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #1863
Dirtchuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Trainman
I just ordered one so I can't tell you how it is but I'm pretty sure Ramz has one on his bike check his site for the write uphttp://www.rickramsey.net
Dirtchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #1864
topping
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
CRF250L roblem

I have just been informed that my fuel injection system has failed and the dealer is going to be repairing it under the Honda care guarantee.

I will post pics of my set-up when I get it back from the dealer in a week or so. It consists of a ad-tekproducts skid plate, Protaper fat bars and Highway Dirtbikes hand guards using the fatbar adaptor. I will also be fitting some nice clutch and brake leavers and heated grips.

:-)
topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #1865
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=topping;20387650]I have just been informed that my fuel injection system has failed and the dealer is going to be repairing it under the Honda care guarantee.

I will post pics of my set-up when I get it back from the dealer in a week or so. It consists of a ad-tekproducts skid plate, Protaper fat bars and Highway Dirtbikes hand guards using the fatbar adaptor. I will also be fitting some nice clutch and brake leavers and heated grips.

:-)[/QUOTE

Wow, under what conditions did it fail? Were you able to "limp home"? Mileage at failure? I was thinking the LRP was bullet proof...............
Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #1866
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
[QUOTE=MentalGuru;20387055]Easton makes tons of different handlebars like OE and Renthal.

This is from Eastons site. http://www.eastonexp.com/faq/

Q: Why 35mm?
A: Our testing and development over the last two decades has determined that it’s the ideal size for a motorcycle bar made from aluminum. 7/8 is just too small for performance or durability, and must be supported by a crossbar. 1 1/8 works well in many conditions, but is not as durable as the sport now demands. Other bars with blended 1 1/8" and 7/8" (Renthal® Twinwall) sizes are inconsistent in feel due to relative stiffness and weakness depending on direction of force - they’re also not nearly as durable.

Q: Will I be able to cut an Easton EXP bar down for woods work?
A: Many of the new off road bikes now pack hydraulic controls and some are even street legal with horns, starters and switchgear, so we’ve provided 200mm of flat on each end of our seven mx/sx/ax bends. Initially we also will offer a woods bend with 210mm of flat on each end that can be trimmed very aggressively if needed yet still carry all controls. The ends of the bar have precision markings to assist with even cuts.

Nice...and good info as well...I assume the woods/freestyle are most likely similar to the bottom most bars in your pic. Are those flats really only 210mm long? (Pic's can be deceiving) 210mm is more then adequate for the controls,250mm would be ideal for the (7/8) single arm mount type guards. Just trying to get a good visual on these bars and mounting points for future handguards.-.. Also, if you go into the Easton site, the Woods and Freestyle are listed separately. Are these a combo of both? and the overall width of the bars seem a lil funky- 775mm and 200mm? Did I read this right?
Thx

BTW @ bungie4- Still getting the international error when trying to order. I hope this sale doesn't end too soon
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #1867
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
dirtchuck, just talked (e-mail) with Best Dual Sport Bikes and he is out of stock, but said they should be in today, so he will let me know. I did look at the Ramsey's website and the ones he reviewed are not this one, one is from the UK and the other I forgot where.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #1868
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

SAPB, that skidplate from ad-tekproducts is the best looking one yet, now I just have to figure what f89.00 is in US dollars and what the postage will be to the US. If that (f) is for UK Pounds, I guess it's around $134.00 US.

John
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #1869
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
SAPB, that skidplate from ad-tekproducts is the best looking one yet, now I just have to figure what f89.00 is in US dollars and what the postage will be to the US. If that (f) is for UK Pounds, I guess it's around $134.00 US.

John
Already have a Ricochet, seems pretty stout, more and more product for the LRP becoming available even as we speak. I guess the "bean counters" have decided this one is going to be selling pretty well. Don't try to take mine away from me, you wouldn't survive it.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #1870
topping
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:

Wow, under what conditions did it fail? Were you able to "limp home"? Mileage at failure? I was thinking the LRP was bullet proof...............
I was lucky because it was in my garden when it failed and not out on a track or road.

They don't know what has caused the problem but I will update this space when they do.

The mileage at failure was 616 miles just ready for its service.
topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #1871
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

I wouldn't take any one's accessories away from them, I just want to be next in line. Your safe, I'm not going to put on a skidplate for a month or two and who know which one when it comes to buying one.

John
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #1872
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Nice...and good info as well...I assume the woods/freestyle are most likely similar to the bottom most bars in your pic. Are those flats really only 210mm long? (Pic's can be deceiving) 210mm is more then adequate for the controls,250mm would be ideal for the (7/8) single arm mount type guards. Just trying to get a good visual on these bars and mounting points for future handguards.-.. Also, if you go into the Easton site, the Woods and Freestyle are listed separately. Are these a combo of both? and the overall width of the bars seem a lil funky- 775mm and 200mm? Did I read this right?
Thx

BTW @ bungie4- Still getting the international error when trying to order. I hope this sale doesn't end too soon
My controls use about 180mm of the bar. That is with the lever moved as far away as possible. My 7/8" bars have 220mm of grip/control area.

200mm is about 8" and 800mm is 31.5"

The bar they are listing is the freestyle bar or called woods high bend according to motosport(800mm wide).

The woods bend is slightly lower and 775mm wide.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #1873
foxbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by callison View Post
I'm at the point where I need to check valve clearance, I called to order the service manual but Helm is out of stock. I've read through LostRider's post and did the research online, the process seems fairly straight forward. Those of you doing this service yourself, is there anything that the manual covers that you haven't seen posted?

Here's a decently instructive vid on youtube, it's for a CRF250R, but I would imagine it's fairly similar to the the 250L.
Code:
thanks!

Cory
I got a service manual on order from crfonly....don't have it yet but they have them in stock

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #1874
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I wouldn't take any one's accessories away from them, I just want to be next in line. Your safe, I'm not going to put on a skidplate for a month or two and who know which one when it comes to buying one.

John
No, not the skidplate, my bike! Waited two and a half months to get one, now the weather is not so great for riding around here. Last couple of winters here have been mild, but who knows? Lots of regions know it's either going to be mild, or put the bike away for 3-4 months, I'll ride if there's no ice, as long as it's above freezing.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #1875
Dirtchuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Trainman sorry I realized that right after the post. At least it now looks like 3 possible options for a folding shift lever now. As soon as I get mine I will put up some pics and opinions.
Dirtchuck is offline   Reply With Quote