ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #31
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
I know this is an old thread, but anybody have any updated title experience?

Buddy is thinking about picking up a used 05 KTM EXC that has a plate, but the tags are expired (by 1 year). You think just doing a title transfer and renew registration will allow him to keep the plate? That year is not street legal from the factory, but the original owner got it done somehow. Currently doesn't have all the street legal equip (Turn signals, mirror and horn missing).
If he doesn't have to change states, see whether the seller is willing to renew the plate before the sale. If that is successful, your buddy can make the purchase and transfer the title with the plate issue already resolved.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #32
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
I bought a bike plated in WA and walked out of the Oregon DMV with a plate. No problems until I got a letter yesterday saying bring the plate back for a refund. Have to call them next week and see if I have any options. Never had a problem before bringing plated bikes to Oregon so they may have changed something.
That's really bad news.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #33
nw scout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
I bought a bike plated in WA and walked out of the Oregon DMV with a plate. No problems until I got a letter yesterday saying bring the plate back for a refund. Have to call them next week and see if I have any options. Never had a problem before bringing plated bikes to Oregon so they may have changed something.
Shit Ken, that sucks!!!

I posted in another thread (good bill gone bad) wondering if anyone new if this would happen?
I almost bought a plated 2011 WR450 from Wa but couldn't get a for sure answer from anyone if I could keep the plate in OR so I passed it up.
10 calls to oregon DMV and 10 different answers Gotta love the government
Old 12-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #34
Almost There
Up, up, and away

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw scout View Post
Shit Ken, that sucks!!!

I posted in another thread (good bill gone bad) wondering if anyone new if this would happen?
I almost bought a plated 2011 WR450 from Wa but couldn't get a for sure answer from anyone if I could keep the plate in OR so I passed it up.
10 calls to oregon DMV and 10 different answers Gotta love the government
It does suck. I just got it 100% street legal and took it for a spin then the letter showed up that afternoon. Plan B I guess which should have been plan A to begin with. Cheaper and don't have to deal with the Oregon BS. If Oregon doesn't want my money I know somebody that does. I've never had a problem with a bike that was already plated until this one.

Kind of funny/sad that I can't ride a 40+ mpg bike on the road but they are fine with about anything else.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #35
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Can I ask how old the bike was?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #36
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
It does suck. If Oregon doesn't want my money I know somebody that does.
I hear you 'bro. I have about had it with OR. Time to move on...
http://www.americas-mailbox.com/
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #37
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien View Post
Whatever you do, don't use Earth Class Mail! Go with one of these small services...
Old 12-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #38
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien View Post

A family member did this as they were living out of their RV and traveling. Off course, when he came back home to Oregon to fish and hunt as he has done his whole life, he now had to pay the huge costs of out of state license and tag fees. Found himself not being able to really afford to hunt or fish any longer

Just be sure you're not giving up anything you really love to save a few bucks.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #39
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
I know you can get away with it at "certain" DMV locations, but it's a crap shoot.

I have successfully plated several dirt bikes without any inspection by simply going to either Redmond or La Pine DMV without the bike and just telling the clerk that it has lights, mirror, horn and turn signals. It never worked in Bend though. Probably things have changed but I bought a WA plated XR650R that will need a title transfer and Oregon plate next month. We'll see what happens.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
RackBack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Plated EXC 200

As long as the title has the letters "MC" in the body style box, it's my understanding that DMV will plate the bike. I purchased an 02 EXC KTM with the one detail, it must have those letters in that box. No questions asked at DMV. I have renewed the plated three times and I will do the same on Jan 2013.
RackBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #41
Almost There
Up, up, and away

Oddometer: 311
Quote:

Thought I should update this with the final outcome. After a few letters from the DMV requesting more info and a few calls to them my plate is going back for a refund. They are also refunding the title fee and sending back the Washington title I received when I bought the bike.

The short version is that if the bike is coming from WASHINGTON it will receive extra attention. If it was not street legal from the factory you will need a letter from the manufacturer stating it meets emissions and safety standards. You can probably guess the chances of getting that from a manufacturer for a bike that wasn't meant to be street legal in the US. This is supposedly a recent change and probably a reaction to the new Washington plating laws.

If it comes from any other state Oregon will plate it assuming it already has a plate. Makes perfect sense right?

I spoke to two DMV employees and their supervisor and was told that is the final answer. No getting around it because that is what their manual says.

Almost There screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 12:47 PM
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #42
bensgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I would almost bet if you were to keep the plate and tags you would get a renewal notice in two years.
So what if you convert the title, then plate it a few months down the road?
bensgone is offline   Reply With Quote