Quiet Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I've had this one for two years:

It has held up great!

Jim
A couple of thoughts...
My dad always said "Locks are there to keep honest people honest." My experience has been that most people are honest.

If you hang one of those chrome helmet extender thingies (you know those T shaped things that go through the D-rings/) from them, people behind you will notice you. The light flashing off of them, even in daylight, makes anyone behind you wonder what the heck it is. I followed a Gold WIng rider from St.Louis to Sturgis one year...he had them hanging under his trunk...very eye catching.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #17
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,561
I have been using the Helmet Guardian as well, first on an R1200GS and now on a Triumph Tiger (also had one on my Scrambler when I had it). Works great, holds up well, very convenient place to lock your helmet to if it won't fit in your luggage or your luggage is full.

Cons: it does hang the helmet upside down, so if it rains the inside of your helmet is gonna get wet. If it's raining, I usually just bring the helmet in with me or if I'm somewhere I can keep an eye on the bike, I put it right-side-up on the mirror.

As mentioned, someone could just slice your chin strap and take the helmet but then people can do similar things with most helmet locks.

Depending on how robust the tail section/license plate mount is on your bike, someone could probably just grab the helmet, give the whole thing a good yank, and break off the plastic that the helmet guardian is bolted to. Have not yet heard of that happening though.

Also, don't lose the little security allen key that comes with it or you will never be able to take your license plate off again
Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
AngryScot OP

Oddometer: 18,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder
Gotta order one of theses.....
Mine has been on for a while and I really like it.
One side has helmet and the other has a cable going through my dry bag as a quick snatch and grab avoidance thing.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #19
Iaone
And there I was!

Oddometer: 99
I use one similar to marchyman. Only mine has a combination lock like they used to use in schools. I can lock a jacket and helmet or 2 together.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
FWIW, I mounted the Cyclebitz double to a rear platform so things hang off the back of the bike. I've gotten in the habit of hanging jacket and helmet there because its handy. I also took the lock unit to a locksmith and had them key it to my ignition key; so one key works it all. Cheers.
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #21
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
Has anybody tried this one from Aerostitch?
http://www.aerostich.com/jet-age-loc...et-holder.html
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #22
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot
Has anybody tried this one from Aerostitch?
http://www.aerostich.com/jet-age-loc...et-holder.html
Looks like an awesome way to take a simple idea and make it complex. Also I would assume the little suction cups and rod that goes into the helmet would pick up a bunch of road grime making the cups not stick and the inside of your helmet dirty.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #23
drecian
token asian guy

Oddometer: 106
I used to lock my helmet in my panniers; but after some thinking; I got a $2 padlock and now just sit my helmet on the mirror and padlock the D-rings to the mirror stalk. The lock is small enough that I just stuff it into a pocket when I'm not using it and with the visor shut; helmet stays relatively dry.

Yeah, I'm cheap...

Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #24
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,406
this is why I keep my top case empty.

Try this. Get a car cover cable from an autoparts store. They're about $5. One end is looped, the other end has a steel fisheye on it. That fisheye is just the right size for most helmet lock pins on your OEM helmet lock on your bike. This way you don't need an extra lock or key to carry around with you.

Run the cable through your stuff, loop the fisheye into the loop, and connect the fisheye to your helmet lock. Done. Cheap and easy.

Here's a pick of one on Amazon, $6 with free shipping (on orders over $25)

Scot, if you like that first lock you can make your own. I have basically the same exact thing, only mine is made out a piece of thick aluminum and uses the OEM helmet locks (which are useless when the bags are in place).

Hit home depot, get a piece of 10 or 12" by 2" flat stock, drill the neccessary holes for the license plate bolts, and remove your OEM helmet locks and mount them to the outside of the bars. Just remember to use security bolts for your licence plate, otherwise the whole thing is pointless. http://www.ldrider.ca/techpages/helmetlocks.htm

A really cheapskate solution I did with one of my bike was to remove one of the OEM bolts that hold the centerstand lift handle and replace it with a slightly longer one, now I just unlock the seat, slip a D ring onto the bolt and slam the seat back down. http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/helmetlock.htm

An even cheaper solution (free) is to plop the strap with the D-ring into your Jesse pannier or top box and lock it. The strap is thin enough to stay put and the D-ring is thick enough not to be able to be easily pulled out. Plus your helmet remains right side up in case it starts to rain and if you make sure there isn't enough slack it won't turn on its side from a gust of wind.

Oh Drecian, there are those who know that you can unscrew a mirror, thus making your technique moot to a rider who wants your helmet.

HaChayalBoded screwed with this post 09-22-2009 at 11:10 PM
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I bought the KURYAKYN single lock but looking at the design it doesn't actually have to be on the plate. I may take the lock portion and move it to another spot that's more handy and may let me keep the helmet up right.

It sure would be cool if givi came up with a lock that used their key system.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #26
Wired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I've had the Ztechnik one for a few months now. Overall, I'm happy, though mounting it was a PITA. I flipped mine over so the locks are on top. This helps keep my helmet from hitting and rubbing on the tire. My helmet does not hang upside down, so it doesn't fill with anything. It hangs to the side. If it looks like it's going to rain though I'll just bring it with me.

Second. I wanted to use larger hardware in-case I had two helmets hanging from it. To do this I had to expand the factory holes. This was the PITA part. Then I had to expand the holes on the vstrom plate holder, then I had to expand the holes in my license plate. I also used some allen head screws so someone with a leatherman can't simply unscrew the whole thing. I also have nylon lock nuts on the back.
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
CTDakota
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
Looks like an awesome way to take a simple idea and make it complex. Also I would assume the little suction cups and rod that goes into the helmet would pick up a bunch of road grime making the cups not stick and the inside of your helmet dirty.
But if you see that it's holding a Nolan helmet that doesn't have "D" rings like most other helmets have.
CTDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #28
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 298

Does anyone know if any of these locks will allow you to remove the key with the lock open? I relocated my DL's lock to the plate, but I still find myself tossing my helmet over the mirror (not good for either mirror or helmet) when I run into a store so I don't need to screw around with locking it up (the bail is kind of small and it's finicky to get both D rings through, hold them helmet up, lock the lock, etc.

Maybe I should put a little screw hook on the other side of the plate?
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #29
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer View Post

Does anyone know if any of these locks will allow you to remove the key with the lock open? I relocated my DL's lock to the plate, but I still find myself tossing my helmet over the mirror (not good for either mirror or helmet) when I run into a store so I don't need to screw around with locking it up (the bail is kind of small and it's finicky to get both D rings through, hold them helmet up, lock the lock, etc.

Maybe I should put a little screw hook on the other side of the plate?
The Helmet Guardian allows you to remove the key when its open. I don't have a helmet lock on my bike, and lock my helmet on his when we're together. He'll undo mine, pull out the key so I can put my helmet on as he opens his.

New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
I use the helmet guardian, & there is a small feature that I really appreciate. When I get off the bike & remove my helmet, I have the D rings in my left hand & dig out the key with my right. The helmet lock is spring loaded, so I can insert & turn the key with the right hand & the bail of the lock pops out, open end up. I put the D rings over the bail with the left & close it with the right, then remove the key. I never have to set the helmet on the seat or elsewhere, & risk a drop. It never leaves my hand until it is hung on the bail of the lock. This becomes routine by the 3rd. or 4th time you do it, & takes about 5 sec. total. It's a small thing, but it shows that someone was thinking back in the locks' planning stage, & over a few seasons I'm sure it has saved me a few dings & scratches on the old lid.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote