Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #76
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You obviously don't know BMWs very well.

I just purchased a 2005 R1200GS with 120K miles on it and no accessories for $4500.

It runs perfectly. 55K miles is not a lot of miles, and that year was not prone to issues.

Jim
I don't know them well at all. I base my opinions on my experience with yamaha, kawasaki, and honda. All I know about BMW's is what I read online from current and past owners.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #77
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,192
The very high percentage of us who have ZERO problems rarely post until the noise gets so loud that we try to inject some sanity into the conversation. Quite honestly, if your concerned by the problems you read about you might never be comfortable. Best of luck to you.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #78
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
re: 1995 1100 GS in fm $4,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
An18 year old bike with 55k on the clock for 4k...its all yours...

A bike that old is a restoration in progress. Not something for someone who likes to keep the wrenching to a minimum.
That's generally true but... In spite of the common perception regarding age, the 1100 resale value keeps rising for a reason and it has nothing to do with vintage appeal. Shortly after the intro of the 1150 a four year old could be had for $3,500. Then for a long while the 1100 remained an insider secret until the word got out about the reliability backed up by ride reports.

It is quite possible to find an 1100 or early 1150 that has been extremely well maintained and has more life left in her than a younger gal. Generalizations based on age alone are not valid. Utility value depends entirely on actual condition. Therein lies the challenge because it takes time and experience to perform a thorough inspection.

Each iteration of the GS has its strengths and weaknesses. Every one one of them is unique even within a given model year. Since you are value driven you may wish to place a little less emphasis on vintage and odometer.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #79
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
My GS is pretty high maintenance. Every 300 miles or so it wants yet ANOTHER $30+ tank full of gas, sometimes 2 or even three times a day, and then every 10,000 miles or so it wants yet ANOTHER $300 set of tires... I could save a lot of money by trading it in on a Hardly Ableson, then I could just get a $2 can of chrome polish every month.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #80
madleemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
ive never thought my bmw bikes were expensive to run, maybe ive been lucky, apart from tyres/pads/oil etc, in the last 10 years on three bikes, the spare parts that have been needed are very few, my R1200c had a new rear light, a battery, and a flasher unit in 50,000miles, it was 5years old when i bought it. the R1150gsa has been a fun bike to ride, but i did have to put a new battery on it. i know if the abs pump or final drive fails it can cost a lot to fix using new parts and having a dealer do the work, but there so easy to work on and theres lots of second hand parts about, it makes sense to fix it yourself. good maintainance helps, again so easy to do.even the tyres seem to last a fair few miles.
madleemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #81
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post
We do not have a BMW at this cost for ego, nothing handles like a GS.

Terry
So true. And having accidentally gotten my suspension dialed in perfectly, I can never sell the bike,
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #82
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
The very high percentage of us who have ZERO problems rarely post until the noise gets so loud that we try to inject some sanity into the conversation. Quite honestly, if your concerned by the problems you read about you might never be comfortable. Best of luck to you.

and people like me side with you...we rationalize that it can't really be as bad as the hundreds of reports on the internet and buy one anyways. It's barely broken in at 52,000 miles, marty sounds sane, what could possibly go wrong I say to myself...

Then within 1500 miles I'm sitting in the snow awaiting rescue. It was $1,000 in parts, luckily I found the transmission shaft used.

I still haven't come to terms with a company that builds drive shafts out of phase, who does that?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #83
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,964
I' 've heard alot about the phase thing...and always found it interesting..

On the older models, do you find they vibrate uncontrollably as you ride? No? Then the phase is correct. If the upper AND lower joints are the same (within a degree or two), then, you put joints in phase, if all your angle is in one end (like a BMW motorcycle...or an off road rig with the axles turned, you phase the joints 45 degrees out...u also do this when building shafts with CV joints.

VEGASGSA screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 10:50 AM
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #84
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Bmw gsa

Hey GS Gurus Current Vstrom owner and I've been really happy with the bike overall. Great on the road and low maintenance, but off road it has been dismal. Alwaysd wanted a big BMW adventure bike and I think I'm finally gonna bite the bullet. No stranger to wrenching and have some good friends with GS's that can help guide me through any tricky fix. Got a bead on a 2008 GSA, mint condition 9k miles, stock, new tires, no luggage, PO has already done all the servicing. What would be a fair amount to offer on this? I appreciate any feedback. See ya in the dirt!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #85
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Hey GS Gurus Current Vstrom owner and I've been really happy with the bike overall. Great on the road and low maintenance, but off road it has been dismal. Alwaysd wanted a big BMW adventure bike and I think I'm finally gonna bite the bullet. No stranger to wrenching and have some good friends with GS's that can help guide me through any tricky fix. Got a bead on a 2008 GSA, mint condition 9k miles, stock, new tires, no luggage, PO has already done all the servicing. What would be a fair amount to offer on this? I appreciate any feedback. See ya in the dirt!

What ballpark would you like your payments to be?

we will have ya out bustin bugs soon
1Paul 2:15
For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #86
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
What ballpark would you like your payments to be?

we will have ya out bustin bugs soon
Haha, I was in the car business, I know that trick. No payments!! lol Guy has it listed for 13.5k, but i was thinking more like 12k? Its a non ESA model, which I like better but I wont tell him that
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #87
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Quote:
Haha, I was in the car business, I know that trick. No payments!! lol Guy has it listed for 13.5k, but i was thinking more like 12k? Its a non ESA model, which I like better but I wont tell him that

Since you were in the game, you know the drill...

touch it, make him an offer, No is the worse he can say.

Good luck in your deal
For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .
Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #88
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
Since you were in the game, you know the drill...

touch it, make him an offer, No is the worse he can say.

Good luck in your deal
Thanks, I'm officially BMW smitten.

Just looked at your sig link. Man, I want some Rellas!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #89
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Quote:
Thanks, I'm officially BMW smitten.

Just looked at your sig link. Man, I want some Rellas!!!

Come on up in April...I will buy ya a whole pie,

Sounds like you will be GS'd and looking for some Appalachia roads

Laurel Fork Campout, Look for it in carpet baggers regional forum.

Well that isn't correct... go here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839434

gsweave screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 05:17 PM
Old 01-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #90
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
On the older models, do you find they vibrate uncontrollably as you ride?

Yes, it drives me nuts. It's pretty much the last thing that needs to be rebuilt on my bike.

Prospective buyers:

Price a set of shocks front/rear, the stockers tend to blow out by 30,000 miles and they're far from cheap to replace.