Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
tattoogunman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
So here is the next question with regards to Sno Seal - there seem to be a variety of companies that sell "sno seal". I guess Sno Seal is the original company and the rest just sell a similar product? I found Penguin Sno Seal and Tectronic Sno Seal (sold locally at REI) - I'm guessing they are the same thing? They all say beeswax treatment....
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #17
jnw010
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Nikwax Aqueous is what I use, and have used for 20 years. On a new pair of boots I apply it every day for a week to really get it into the leather and the stitching. After that just usual reapplication when cleaning them up an it's always worked well for me.
jnw010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
tattoogunman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnw010 View Post
Nikwax Aqueous is what I use, and have used for 20 years. On a new pair of boots I apply it every day for a week to really get it into the leather and the stitching. After that just usual reapplication when cleaning them up an it's always worked well for me.
That's just a liquid/cream right?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
So here is the next question with regards to Sno Seal - there seem to be a variety of companies that sell "sno seal". I guess Sno Seal is the original company and the rest just sell a similar product? I found Penguin Sno Seal and Tectronic Sno Seal (sold locally at REI) - I'm guessing they are the same thing? They all say beeswax treatment....

I suppose a product must have a good reputation when others are trying to use the name brand. This is the product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sno-Seal-Wat...-/390272806594

Use on leather - gloves, boots, jackets - all black of course. I expect it may work well on chaps and leather pants as well. Lexol is another good leather protector I use in light colored car interiors, but prefer Sno Seal for boots and such that get wet outdoors. A 7 oz can of Sno Seal goes a long way.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
How long do they last?!?

I've been treating my boots with Aquaseal for over 14 years. I just got them resoled and shined up and when my g/f saw them she exclaimed "wow! They look like new!"
Depends on the boot, the leather and the use.
My day to day workboots (Catapiller 2nd shift) last about a year of daily use but they get beat up.
My Combat Touring boots are 15 years old my Sidi Interstates are 20 years old
My current Docs about 10 years compared to the pair they replaced which was about 5 years, those were oild often and cracked at the flex point, the new ones never oiled and no cracks.

As for sno seal I like the stuff that came in the blue and white can with the snowflake on it better then the orange and blue with the bird. But neither came close to the nikwax stuff.

squish screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 12:26 AM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 173
SnoSeal

http://www.amazon.ca/Atsko-Sno-Seal/dp/B0002M87UG
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
tattoogunman OP
Studly Adventurer

OK, I ended up going with Sno Seal and here were my results:

Before & after side by side

Profile before and after

Both boots after treatment

No clue how well it will work (if at all), I'll let y'all know the next time my feet get wet
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #23
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak bike View Post
Been using snow seal for about 50 some years with pretty good results . Generally use a hair drier to warm up the boots and let the Sno seal soak in. I m sure there's lots of stuff that works. I've just had good luck with what I'm using.
+1 for snow seal.
Also been using it for 40 years, since before it came in a plastic can, it used to come in a metal paint can,
and it's worked for me.
I sware it makes the boot last longer since it keeps the leather softer
I put it on cold and hold the boot over the stove untill it melts and soaks in better but I bet the hair dryer would work just fine.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
tattoogunman OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, I just used a hair dryer last night. Once it melted, I rubbed it in one more time and then let it dry. I'm probably going to put a light coat of polish over it just to clean it up a bit.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
I'm also a sno seal fan. Besides warming the boot up before and after waxing. I'd suggest working the wax into the seams really well especially where the sole is sewed on to the boot. An old toothbrush works well for this.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 247
The problem I have had with my Sidi Discoveries is getting the seam where the sole meets the boot to stop letting water in. I have tried several times to seal the seams with "Obenauf's Heavy Duty" I was given as a gift, it is similar but probably not exact as the Sno-Seal I used to put on my hiking boots. The leather is fine it is always the sole seams. Obviously I need a solution, or new boots.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 183
Toothbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards View Post
The problem I have had with my Sidi Discoveries is getting the seam where the sole meets the boot to stop letting water in. I have tried several times to seal the seams with "Obenauf's Heavy Duty" I was given as a gift, it is similar but probably not exact as the Sno-Seal I used to put on my hiking boots. The leather is fine it is always the sole seams. Obviously I need a solution, or new boots.
Using a soft toothbrush for the seams and all stitching really works the wax/paste/gel/liquid in. Used one for years. Learned from my grandpa who was a logger and a farmer all his life.
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #28
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
Going out on a limb here - I need to waterproof some boots. There seem to be any number of products on the market that all seem to do the same thing (more or less). They range from rub in pastes/waxes/oils to straight beeswax to aerosol sprays that you simply spray on (seems to be the easiest), etc.

Anyone have any real world experience with any of these? There is Nikwax, Aquaseal, Snoseal, All Dri, Kiwi products, Chelsea, etc. and I really can't find anything that indicates one is any better than the other.

This would be in conjunction with rain covers, I'm just looking for something that will add a layer of protection in light to moderate rain until I can get covers on.

Thanks!
SNO-SEAL....at times you can find it at Walmart....it's at other stores also.It a bees wax base stuff....put it on the garment,use a hair dryer and the wax melts...it goes into nooks and crannies...wipe off excess....done.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 568V8 View Post
SnoSeal is a great product. Be sure your boots are bone dry and use a hairdryer to get as much wax soaked in as possible.
Avoid mink oil because it will rot some stitching; it does softens leather well but isn't for expensive boots.
++1 snowseal, especially if you have boots with stiched welts
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #30
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 958
Is dubbin the same as sno seal? I've always used dubbin on my leather boots with great results