User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
zippitydooda OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Speedometer needle stuck on wrong side of pin

So I took my gage cluster off awhile back and the speedometer indicator needle has rotated all the way around and stuck under the 0mph holder pin. I took the face off and rotated the needle back to the correct side of 0mph and rode slowly around. It moved quickly to 20mph then i stopped and it stayed at 20. As i crept away the needle slowly rotated all the way around to the wrong side of the pin, and get stuck. 09 KLR. Whats the procedure?

Also I pulled the needle over the pin a few times thinking that would help.

zippitydooda screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 06:54 PM Reason: added info
zippitydooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
muddywater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Sounds like your spedo has bit the dirt. Most are hard to get open and seperate parts not available. I'd be watching Fleabay ...I have an 08 and have heard of odometer problems, but not the speedometer.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,309
If it's mechanical, it sounds like the return spring broke or came loose from its mooring. It'll probably look like a clock spring and should be easy enough to check, assuming you can see the inside of the instrument.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,012
PM Wirespokes. He is the guru of all things speedometer/odometer. Might be able to help you out.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,354
The '01 KLR speedometer is very easy to open -- far easier than the various Honda speedometers I've worked on.

The speedometer works by magnets spinning in a steel "bowl". There's no solid connection between the cable and the needle.

The trouble that I had with my KLR speedometer was the inner speedometer cable pushing up inside the threaded connector and causing contact between the spinning parts. This will cause the needle to move but not return. After looking at the trouble, I closed up the speedometer and put 2 small washers over the square cable where it comes out of the housing. This effectively lengthens the cable housing and prevents the inner speedometer cable from pushing up on the speedometer's internal parts.

That was with the cable that came on the bike. I've since replaced the cable but left the two washers in place because the extra distance doesn't hurt, but contact DOES hurt.

It sounds to me like your return spring is intact. The rest of the speedometer doesn't scare me, but DON'T TOUCH THE SPRING. it's extremely delicate.

On Hondas the bearing for the needle can wear and allow the magnets and bowl to rub against each other. I'm sure it can happen to Kaw too.

EDIT: On re-reading your description, I'd say dirt in the bearings. These are plain bearings i.e. a thin steel rod spinning in a close fitting brass hole. I use electrical contact cleaner -- the type with lubricant -- from Radio Snack. It blasts and dissolves various kinds of contaminants and leaves a very light mineral oil after it evaporates.

Grinnin screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 11:02 AM
Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,354
It's handy to have a short speedometer cable available to spin with a drill.

Next time you replace a speedometer cable that's not totally trashed, cut the housing to about 8 or 10" and cut the inner cable to 10 or 12". You can then put the extra 2" in a drill chuck and test the speedometer and odometer while seated on a chair instead of seated on a moving bike.

It's far easier that way to see what's binding or rubbing or not acting right.

EDIT: REVERSE! Use a reversible drill. Most speedometers sweep clockwise and that's the reverse of drilling a hole. Start gently in any case.

Grinnin screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 03:53 AM
Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
It's handy to have a short speedometer cable available to spin with a drill.

Next time you replace a speedometer cable that's not totally trashed, cut the housing to about 8 or 10" and cut the inner cable to 10 or 12". You can then put the extra 2" in a drill chuck and test the speedometer and odometer while seated on a chair instead of seated on a moving bike.

It's far easier that way to see what's binding or rubbing or not acting right.
I think it takes a couple days of that to bring a speedometer back to 0 miles. Shut....