Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #361
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
The foil covered bubble-wrap insulation should be readily available at almost any hardware store, building supply store, etc. I happened to have some left over from a home insulation job.

(Sorry . . . tried to paste a photo, but I don't have any URL based place to save my images)

V-Stormer screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 12:33 PM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #362
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
— I just found 17 additional pockets! And 1 secret pocket!!! Really, there are almost too many pockets on this jacket. The rear pocket (“rabbit pouch”) is huge. You could probably keep three or four good-sized rabbits in there, no problem. Or two fat ground hogs. Or a small capybara. Probably you’ll want to keep some rabbits in there. Or maps. Whatever. Your choice
I don't understand. Why do all you DS guys carry rabbits? Wouldn't be easier just to carry a couple of MRE's? I mean you gotta clean and cook the thing?!?!?

All kidding aside, how would you compare the stiffness to a Darien or Roadcrafter?

I have been giving this jacket a serious consideration. I just wish there was a dealer down here that stocked them.
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #363
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper246 View Post
I don't understand. Why do all you DS guys carry rabbits? Wouldn't be easier just to carry a couple of MRE's? I mean you gotta clean and cook the thing?!?!?

All kidding aside, how would you compare the stiffness to a Darien or Roadcrafter?

I have been giving this jacket a serious consideration. I just wish there was a dealer down here that stocked them.
I'd say — and this is just my opinion, mind you — that the Badlands is stiffer than the Aerostich jackets, overall. The outer material (the Gore-tex shell) is probably the same stiffness, but when you add all the reflective panels, logos, seams, pockets, and zippers to the Badlands, it adds a certain stiffness to the jacket. I think my Badlands has something like nine zippers on the front of the jacket, each with a water-resistant gasket, which are not very flexible. All the pockets reduce flexibility, too. All the logos and reflective panels and double-stitching reduces flexibility. All that "stuff" adds up to a stiff jacket. Does that make sense? Let me know if it doesn't — I'm often useless at describing things — and I'll try to be more descriptive.

Also, I don't carry MREs because there's always a Starbucks in the next town where I can get a latte and a bagel. The rabbits are so I can check to see if my girlfriend is pregnant.

If you're interested in the Badlands, check out the Revzilla video; it's pretty informative. I believe there are also a couple of videos on Youtube. I found them helpful, and I did a ridiculous amount of research on this jacket.

Also, if you decide to buy one, contact Mike at Tellico Moto in Tellico Plains, Tennessee. He will give you a good price. Trust me.

Let me know if you have any other questions. This is a pricey jacket, I know. I'll be glad to help if I can. I personally made the right choice with the Badlands, but I'd hate if someone spent some serious coin on a jacket and didn't like it and was stuck with it.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #364
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
I would say that I agree that the material does feel more substantial than the Darien... But it is more comfortable once you put it on due to a better cut, the kidney belt and the much better armour. having had both jackets, I would say that the Darien and Badlands are not in the same league - if your budget will stretch to the Badlands, then I can see no reason to go for the Darien

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #365
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I would say that I agree that the material does feel more substantial than the Darien... But it is more comfortable once you put it on due to a better cut, the kidney belt and the much better armour. having had both jackets, I would say that the Darien and Badlands are not in the same league - if your budget will stretch to the Badlands, then I can see no reason to go for the Darien
I would agree, also, The armor in the Badlands is far superior to the armor in the Darien, which I believe (and I could be wrong) does not come with a back protector. The Badlands is pretty comfortable once you're sitting on the bike. Off the bike, it feels like chainmail armor, but I've only had mine for a month and I would think it's still breaking in.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #366
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Thanks Mav and Gone,

I actually have a Darien suit now that I bought from one if the inmates years ago. The problem is is that it is way too big for me. The jacket is a 3XL and the pants are longs.

With the liner in the jacket is just too bulky. And because the pants are so long they drag and the knee armor is always in the wrong place.

The thing I do like about the Darien is the amount of ventilation it has with all the vents open. If I leave the sleeves open it is like having air conditioning when the bike is moving.

The storm cuffs (or gauntlets as we call them in the fire service) will eliminate this feature.
13 Tiger 800
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #367
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Thanks Mav and Gone,

I actually have a Darien suit now that I bought from one if the inmates years ago. The problem is is that it is way too big for me. The jacket is a 3XL and the pants are longs.

With the liner in the jacket is just too bulky. And because the pants are so long they drag and the knee armor is always in the wrong place.

The thing I do like about the Darien is the amount of ventilation it has with all the vents open. If I leave the sleeves open it is like having air conditioning when the bike is moving.

The storm cuffs (or gauntlets as we call them in the fire service) will eliminate this feature.
Ride to Tellico Plains. It's near the Tail of the Dragon, so, you know... you have another excuse to ride the Dragon. Mike at Tellico Moto usually has a very good selection of Klim jackets you can try on.

The Badlands has pretty good venting. I believe the vent scheme is actually similar to that of the Darien, and maybe derived from the Darien. Not sure. But it flows air very well. In 105* temps, it's going to roast you, but most jackets will.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #368
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post

Ditto. Years ago both my wife an I tried the 'Stich. We sent them back. They were bulky and cut for a stick figure not a human. Tubes for arms and legs, not articulated, armor that was simply velco stripped in and never in the right place, etc. Felt like a the Tin Man walking around and that it was more of a safety hazard than the safety they provided. Got Dainese suits and never looked back. Been riding with a Klim Badlands suit for a few months now and love it. Very well designed and constructed plus all top quality materials. A modern product.

Fall ride on a 1935 motorsickle
MeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #369
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeRide View Post
Ditto. Years ago both my wife an I tried the 'Stich. We sent them back. They were bulky and cut for a stick figure not a human. Tubes for arms and legs, not articulated, armor that was simply velco stripped in and never in the right place, etc. Felt like a the Tin Man walking around and that it was more of a safety hazard than the safety they provided. Got Dainese suits and never looked back. Been riding with a Klim Badlands suit for a few months now and love it. Very well designed and constructed plus all top quality materials. A modern product.
You make a really good point here. It seems like the Darien and Roadcrafter products have remained the same throughout the years. I honestly don't think I would have a problem with a Darien set that fit right but I like all of the updated features that the Badlands has to offer. Not to mention newer materials and armor.
13 Tiger 800
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #370
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
You make a really good point here. It seems like the Darien and Roadcrafter products have remained the same throughout the years. I honestly don't think I would have a problem with a Darien set that fit right but I like all of the updated features that the Badlands has to offer. Not to mention newer materials and armor.
If I remember correctly, the Klim Badlands also has "newer" Gore-tex than the Aerostich jackets. I know the d3o armor in the Badlands is superior to that found in the Darien / Roadcrafter.

I will say, though, that A LOT of guys swear by their Aerostich jackets and wouldn't change if you offered them the keys to the vault, so to speak. Their argument being: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And their jackets work, and work well.

That being said, I chose the Klim Badlands for the same two reasons you pointed out: newer materials and better armor. I also liked the aesthetics of it. Klim also seems serious about the Gore-tex "Guaranteed To Keep You Dry" lifetime warranty — that was a big selling point for me.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #371
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
Just got my Badlands pants in today and I'm wondering if I should've ordered the tall. I'm 5'10" and while they are the perfect length standing, when sitting on the bike they rise up like high waters. Anyone else have this problem? If so, did you opt for the tall version?
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #372
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 907
I'm 5'11" and mine fit.
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #373
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Just got my Badlands pants in today and I'm wondering if I should've ordered the tall. I'm 5'10" and while they are the perfect length standing, when sitting on the bike they rise up like high waters. Anyone else have this problem? If so, did you opt for the tall version?
Yep, I went with the tall. If you are asking you should go with the tall as well.
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #374
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Just my 2 cents--------or maybe 3 ??

First off fit----I'm 5' 11" and about 195 lbs. I have a 36" pants and a large jacket-----fit perfect---I can even put an electric jacket under it.

Temperature range-------The only time you might not be able to keep cool in this jacket is when it's 85° or above and humid---or you are struggling riding in tough terrain.

I've had several Aerostich jackets and pants-------was in love with it (at the time) when I was road riding mostly.
I've had several roadcrafters and dariens-------long ago.

But now---I see no need for Aerostich products for me------this KLIM gear is way better for my purposes. And would have been way better back then if there was such a thing.

I'm not going into anymore details-------probably all been covered---but I'm in love with this stuff.

Got the KLIM nac pac backpack also

Love the KLIM Jersey too !!
The flat tire------------not so much---arggghhh!!!!

The KLIM handlebar tassels are a nice addition also

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 06:21 AM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #375
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Just my 2 cents--------or maybe 3 ??

The KLIM handlebar tassels are a nice addition also

I count 11 cents, but my math skills are poor.

Klim handlebar tassels... ooh ooh ooh I want those!!!