Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #511
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoFz View Post
I am leaving mid next week to do some of the easier northern parts (MT, WY). Is there a key to your symbols? I know most are self explanatory, What are the yellow X's? Did you mm
mention getting tires mounted in MT somewhere?

Thanks
Ed
The yellow X means a closure. For example, the trail closes to motorized vehicles at that point.

There are waypoints for dealers by brand up and down the Great Divide. IF you click on the waypoint properties there will be an address and phone number and sometimes a URL to the store.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #512
ValpoFz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thanks!
ValpoFz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #513
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Great tracks. Never missed a turn. Spent a day riding the Oregon Trail, which is not part of the CDR. Not hard to figure, though. Can PM me if you want directions.

A really great tour.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #514
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
No gas in Hachita

Hello all.

I used Cannonshot's tracks with great success on my S-N CDR ride recently.

Of note is there is no gas in Hachita anymore. This requires some careful planning and extra gas if you want to make it to Antelope Wells and back.

Also spots like Fleecer drop and Lava Mountain in MT are not doable S-N for a bike of any size. Going down would be doable but going up these trails S-N I would judge as impossible with anything but the lightest dirt bike.

I had great weather and did not encouter any areas that were impassable when wet but could definitely see that they would be with rain.

Best,
Andy
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper
AndyCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #515
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR View Post
Hello all.

I used Cannonshot's tracks with great success on my S-N CDR ride recently.

Of note is there is no gas in Hachita anymore. This requires some careful planning and extra gas if you want to make it to Antelope Wells and back.

Also spots like Fleecer drop and Lava Mountain in MT are not doable S-N for a bike of any size. Going down would be doable but going up these trails S-N I would judge as impossible with anything but the lightest dirt bike.

I had great weather and did not encouter any areas that were impassable when wet but could definitely see that they would be with rain.

Best,
Andy
Thanks Andy, you going to have a ride report? Love reading others perspective of this great ride. Give us a link if so.
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #516
Duk
Starting Over

Oddometer: 8
A big thank you to Cannonshot for posting this ride report and the gpx files. My son and I just did the northern half (down to Steamboat) using his tracks and had a blast. We only had a week to plan the trip and there is no way we could have done it without your help. Thanks!!!
Duk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #517
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk View Post
A big thank you to Cannonshot for posting this ride report and the gpx files. My son and I just did the northern half (down to Steamboat) using his tracks and had a blast. We only had a week to plan the trip and there is no way we could have done it without your help. Thanks!!!
Glad to hear you had a great trip and that the material proved helpful! The intent was to help out the next guy, and so far that has worked well.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #518
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 424
Just did the CDR S to N and then back again on the pretty parts. Had to divert at Ovando to Seely on Hwy 200 to Hwy 83 due to bridge / culvert being washed out / repaired on the way up. On the way down, Ovando to Lincoln trail was closed about half way due to fire. Both diversions should be cleared up by now. Thanks to Cannonshot and Big Dog for posting the cords.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #519
eriojas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Gps?

Hello cannonshot, which gps would you recommend to do the cdt, one that i could download your tracks.

Thks in advsnce!
eriojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #520
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriojas View Post
Hello cannonshot, which gps would you recommend to do the cdt, one that i could download your tracks.

Thks in advsnce!
You would want a unit that can take 20 tracks. The Garmin 60/76 Cs or Csx work fine and have a nice capability to be powered off the bike using a power cable that has a durable power plug.

The more modern units take up to 200 tracks and will work well (62S, Oregon, Montana).

I use a 60Cs, 62S, and an Oregon 450T.

Take a look over in GPS 101 for a lot of discussions on the topic.

Don't forget that you will want background maps. That is another discussion you can find over there. There are free maps, routable maps, and topographic maps to think about. For my trip I used Garmin Topo and it worked fine.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #521
eriojas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks Cannonshot, the best for 2013!
eriojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #522
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,821
The best ever...
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #523
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
Have a great riding year Cannonshot. I still have the ADV card you left in my truck last year in Grand Marais. Plan on being there next July. Maybe see you again. If you are headed down TX way, give me a shout, We have space at the Inn...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #524
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriojas View Post
Thanks Cannonshot, the best for 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
The best ever...
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Have a great riding year Cannonshot. I still have the ADV card you left in my truck last year in Grand Marais. Plan on being there next July. Maybe see you again. If you are headed down TX way, give me a shout, We have space at the Inn...
Thanks! That was a great time in Grand Marais! You put on a nice cookout. The Texas beers and Texas shaped chips really shaped the atmosphere.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #525
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 429
I haven't gotten through your report but I was wondering what mapping program that is. Is that part of a Garmin package?

Cannonshot screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 04:02 PM Reason: Sorry, I hit the mod edit button instead of the quote button by accident.
Dan Man is offline   Reply With Quote