Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Junk in the trunk - limits on KTM 690 Enduro R rear end weight?

Alrighty...

I pulled together the gear I want on the bike for handling trail-side issues. Extra tubes, tire irons, wrenches, recovery gear (pulleys, carabiners, rope, etc.), flashlights, screw driver, pliers, etc., etc.
  • On the right side of the bike is the 1 gallon rotopax. (7 lbs)
  • On the left side of the bike (exhaust side) is the rotopax storage container. (14.5 lbs)
  • On the touratech rack behind the seat is the Kreiga US- 20 soft bag. (8 lbs)
So I've got, call it, 30 lbs slug around the arse end of this fine ride. Everything is tightly mounted, limiting movement, obviously.

Side (pannier) racks are from Wolfman and mount to the lower frame and where the hand holds *would* mount (gas tank mounting locations, essentially). The Touratech rack works with the Wolfman rack to complete the carrying arrangement.

Now, is the 30 lbs I'm packin' too much for the Enduro R? Given there is no real subframe, Touratech recommends limiting the load on their rack to 11 lbs (5kg) when using their rack alone. I gotta believe I can carry more with the side racks spreading the load directly to the lower frame...but how much is too much...?

I was considering adding a second Rotopax storage container and moving the 1 gallon RP can up onto the Touratech rack. That'd move the weight from the Kreiga US-20 bag outboard and directly onto the side rack. This would balance the weight more on each side and free up space in the Kreiga for useful stuff...like clothes, etc. ;)

So...does anyone have numbers I can apply here?

The manual says 772 lbs is max load. Minus 331 lbs for the bike with gas, and 290 for me with gear (what...?! My gear weighs 90 lbs... ;) (...and I'm over-estimating by ~10 lbs)). Leaves me with a useful carrying capacity of ~150 lbs. The manual says roughly 55% of the weight can be over the rear axle, so we'll call that 80 lbs (actually 82.5, but what's 2.5 lbs between friends?).

I have NO intention of stacking 80 lbs of weight on the rear of the Enduro R, side rack supports or not. But, is 40 lbs back there too much even with the side rack supporting things?

I know about the tank bolts breaking on other bikes. Mine remains stock at this time.
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,044
Well the bike does have passenger pegs so it can take a passenger. I'm comfortable with 40-50 lbs though on the tail rack probably 10-20.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
Well the bike does have passenger pegs so it can take a passenger. I'm comfortable with 40-50 lbs though on the tail rack probably 10-20.
I was kinda thinking along those same lines. Passenger = 130 or so lbs.

Weight is spread between the seat (and down onto the gas tank/"subframe") and the foot pegs. With the exception of leverage due to the touratech rack being futher back than the passanger would be, it should still leave me with a useful load capacity across the rack and side mounts.

Man, if they'd used motorcycles in high school, I'd have enjoyed math class a LOT more...LOL
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,356
Id be more worried about the depth of water a 690 will go through. (thread drift) I rode through a creek with water up to the bottom of the tank on my DR650 and it seemed to like it,never a sputter.

A 690 coming the other way through the same water had sucked water and was sounding like it needed to go to the shop very soon. That could be expensive.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Can go at least this deep on a 690 without any issues.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by albie View Post
can go at least this deep on a 690 without any issues.

nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
road_donkey
not really into it..

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
I have NO intention of stacking 80 lbs of weight on the rear of the Enduro R, side rack supports or not. But, is 40 lbs back there too much even with the side rack supporting things?

I know about the tank bolts breaking on other bikes. Mine remains stock at this time.
Well, on my 08 E I've traveled numerous times with about 20-25lbs per side (Zega aluminum with KTM hardparts luggage racks) plus about 10 in the tailbag. I did swap to the RR tank bolts after the first couple trips, so it is stronger now for sure. I had a little get off on one trip and the bike did a one and a half rotation with the full load. Other than bending the bag and rack, everything else was fine. With the racks and bolts they can take some weight...and abuse! As with all things though ymmv...
Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Well, Rally Raid has shipped my new tank bolts as of today. Cheap-ish insurance, methinks...

Incidentally, its $30 cheaper to buy them from Rally Raid in the UK and have them shipped than to buy them through KTMTwins here... Oh well... happy to wait the little extra time for the shipping. ;)