PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
I suspect you understand a jest.
Ah.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #272
hajime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
May I ask how you dropped your bike because you didn't use the rear brake? .....
Sorry I didn't see your question sooner. I just squeezed the front brake way too hard. When I felt the rear lift off the surface, I let go of everything and dropped the bike. We were practicing swerving around an obstacle and then coming to a stop, so I can't be sure I straightened the bike before grabbing such a big handful of front brake. That was about four years ago....

Thanks for getting this thread started. I've learned a little. Hard to weed through some of the different opinions/ideas. I hope your girl friend is still enjoying riding.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #273
bluegreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
I'm 99% sure they use linked brakes.
Quote:
The tons of motorcycle racers do not use the rear brake during straight up and down braking into the corner.

Their job is to slow down as much as possible in the shortest amount of time and they don't use the rear brake.

As for using the rear tire to brake, YES I do. I downshift! and sometimes I still brake the tire loose which doesnt bug me.
MotoGP bikes are not allowed to have linked brakes.

Some GP riders do use the back others don't. Doohan being one of the best examples of a rear brake user as others have already pointed out.

What I really want to know is, what kind of oil is in her bike?
bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #274
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
We've already been over that, as well as over why that isn't even very relevant. To "ignore" with you. I have no room in my life for ill-behaved louts with poor logic skills, a weak grasp of reality, and marginal-at-best literacy.

PhilB
haha, at least I attack the argument not the person.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #275
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post
MotoGP bikes are not allowed to have linked brakes.

Some GP riders do use the back others don't. Doohan being one of the best examples of a rear brake user as others have already pointed out.

What I really want to know is, what kind of oil is in her bike?
Mobile one Semi synthetic. Going to change over to rotella t6. I think by changing to T6, the heavier oil will put more weight on the back tire. So it should be harder to lock up.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #276
bluegreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Mobile one Semi synthetic. Going to change over to rotella t6. I think by changing to T6, the heavier oil will put more weight on the back tire. So it should be harder to lock up.
Bingo! And here is our answer !!
bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #277
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
I didn't read every post on this thread, but the question is interesting, and I'm supprised at the number of you that are proponents of not using the rear brake much. I didn't ride anything but dirt for more than 20 years before I got my first street bike in "95, a 650 Turbo Seca. But I've had one ever sense then, along with dirt bikes. I rode enduros and trials on the state circuits for several years, and then a lot of Colorado, New Mexico, and Mexico, the CDR and the TAT. I use the rear brake primarily, adding the front as necessary to slow to the needed pace. I've had the front brake dump me some, but hardly ever had the rear. Using the rear brake for controlled slides and to set up turns ( in dirt ) seems natural. Never been able to control a slide with the front. On the street I just don't ride aggressively enough to work the front that hard, and I guess I'm a little supprised ADV Adventure Riders would also. The consequences are not worth it to me. I completly under stand the opposite approach, but from my point of view, I'm going to bias my style towards off road riding.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #278
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
I didn't read every post on this thread, but the question is interesting, and I'm supprised at the number of you that are proponents of not using the rear brake much. ... I rode enduros and trials on the state circuits for several years, and then a lot of Colorado, New Mexico, and Mexico, the CDR and the TAT. I use the rear brake primarily, ...
I would suggest that if you learned to use the front brake properly, instead of just riding in those races, you might have been more successful than you were. Just because you raced for years doesn't mean you were fast or even used your bike to it's fullest potential. Grids are full of people just out there riding and having fun. The fact is that even off road the front brake has much more stopping power than the rear. If you weren't using the front brake off road you weren't slowing your bike anywhere near as quickly as you could have.
The reason that most ADV riders spend the time to learn how to use the front brake properly even though they aren't racing around on public roads is because you never know when a car may turn in front of your or a thousand other posibilities that may require an emergency stop. If you don't know how to use the front brake properly your chances of becoming a hood ornament are very high. I would suggest you take the time to learn how to use yours, on road and off.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #279
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Yay!

PhilB
I really like this line of thinking
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #280
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I would suggest that if you learned to use the front brake properly, instead of just riding in those races, you might have been more successful than you were. Just because you raced for years doesn't mean you were fast or even used your bike to it's fullest potential. Grids are full of people just out there riding and having fun. The fact is that even off road the front brake has much more stopping power than the rear. If you weren't using the front brake off road you weren't slowing your bike anywhere near as quickly as you could have.
The reason that most ADV riders spend the time to learn how to use the front brake properly even though they aren't racing around on public roads is because you never know when a car may turn in front of your or a thousand other posibilities that may require an emergency stop. If you don't know how to use the front brake properly your chances of becoming a hood ornament are very high. I would suggest you take the time to learn how to use yours, on road and off.
Yep, I expected that kind of response. Well, I'm almost 69 years old. and still riding some pretty good CO jeep trail passes. Never said I didn't know how to use the front brake "PROPERLY". Just that there is another way to do it. I'll be the first to admit, I never liked speed. That's why I switched to Trials. That and I got tired of enduros eating up the bike. Mananged to finish 9th in the Master Class in the State of Texas, but that was a long time ago. Today, and even when I was a lot younger, it was all just for fun.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #281
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Yep, I expected that kind of response. Well, I'm almost 69 years old. and still riding some pretty good CO jeep trail passes. Never said I didn't know how to use the front brake "PROPERLY". Just that there is another way to do it. I'll be the first to admit, I never liked speed. That's why I switched to Trials. That and I got tired of enduros eating up the bike. Mananged to finish 9th in the Master Class in the State of Texas, but that was a long time ago. Today, and even when I was a lot younger, it was all just for fun.
Well, I'm not too many years behind you. I practice with the front brake all the time, especially off road. That way I have a really good feel for when the front locks up and can avoid it or deal with it when it does on the street. I hope to still be out riding and racing (at least with my buddies) well past 69 and hope you do too.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #282
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Well, I'm not too many years behind you. I practice with the front brake all the time, especially off road. That way I have a really good feel for when the front locks up and can avoid it or deal with it when it does on the street. I hope to still be out riding and racing (at least with my buddies# well past 69 and hope you do too.
I should ride (practice) more too. In the early "70s, in the Dallas/Fort worth area, there were several local non comercial riding spots that were crawling with bikes every weekend. It was truely the "On Any Sunday" era. We had six guys that rode every chance we got. Today attrition has captured three of them (hip replacement/bypass surgery/ nerve desease), and when the remaining three of us go on our yearly trips, our combined age is 210. Those old riding spots are gone to apartments, comercial buildings, parking lots and government restrictions. The nearest comercial riding areas are now hours away, so, it doesn't happen often enough, although I'm not ready to give up yet. Recently I've been seeking out other (younger) groups to ride with, and if I don't take off my helmet, I can usually pull it off.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #283
Homey
Studly Adventurer

I'm blessed with owning a small ranch here in Ca. I can can just walk out the front door. The weekend before xmas I was out in the desert with two friends and their boys. Our combined age is only 176 (not counting the boys, they really bring down the average) This was the end of an era for us as the boys are all off in the military and it's going to just be the three of us old fogies on our outings from now on. We promised each other to continue our trips to the desert so as long as our health holds up...
Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #284
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Para, send your chick to some riding school. There's people on here that give out dangerous information that could get her hurt, and we don't want that. (Back in '39 i went over the bars when I used that damned front brake, and there was the time I had to lay 'er down to avoid that truck, or I would have met my maker, for sure)

That being said, I try to ride everything I can. I can hop on something with a right hand shift and drum front brake, and still manage to get it stopped. Or a rigid frame Harley with no front brake, I know enough to give everything a lot more room. Also why I ride street and dirt, and try to keep learning at all times. There is no one right answer to your questions about the rear brake. It varies.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #285
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Why wouldn't you use your rear brake in a panic stop? That's what it's there for.

All the controls are there for a reason, sometimes you should be using them all at the same time (front brake, back brake, throttle, clutch), moving your body weight around, picking a line... different situations require different manoevers...

To not be using the tools available to you in a panic situation for whatever reason(?), might not be your best choice.

Like everybody else, the OP's girlfriend should figure out what these various controls do and practice, practice, practice... like somebody else said "until it becomes muscle memory", no thinking involved.
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote