Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #33
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
If you try to cross into CA with one in your truck/car/etc, they will make you throw it away or leave it behind.
How do you know that. Who has the authority to police these gas cans. I have one from 20 years ago, I love it and I not want to loose it, that's why I was asking.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #34
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
You put put an air line on it and make a flame thrower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixnfly View Post
I guessing the schrader valve is removed. As long as it's fuel resistant and has a cap, I don't see a problem with it.
Yeah - he says in the video he takes the valve out. Still don't think it's a good idea.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #35
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
How do you know that. Who has the authority to police these gas cans. I have one from 20 years ago, I love it and I not want to loose it, that's why I was asking.
My old roomie and his family are avid dune riders (mostly quads) and we were told by one of their riding buddies who went down to ride a few months ago. Just like taking homegrown fruit or the like, they have the right to confiscate them apparently. I'm sure not all border stations WILL, but as I understand it, they can refuse entry into CA with one of the old style cans.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #36
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
If you try to cross into CA with one in your truck/car/etc, they will make you throw it away or leave it behind.
now i realize how ridiculous this is. i'm from wv. not mexico or canada. i was trying to figure out who was gonna take my stuff. i can cross into ca all i want with them jugs hanging off the antenna if i like. unless of course nevada has a border patrol
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #37
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
Can you tell me where these are available?
Crappy Tire and Princess Auto both carry them in Edmonton.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #38
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Bullshit. The inspection stations at or near California state line are Agricultural Inspections stations and nothing more. The same goes with the Border Patrol that has inspections points near the Mexico border. They don't have any authority to inspect for CARB compliance. Now if you happen to get pulled over by the CHP for some other infraction, you could get dinged IF you had California plates.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #39
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Now if you happen to get pulled over by the CHP for some other infraction, you could get dinged IF you had California plates.
Anyone here from CHP to chime in on the law that they can enforce?

I've traveled from CA - AZ and CA - NV few times, and have yet to see state border patrol.

IMO, I think California gas stations can refuse to sell you gasoline in one of those containers, but I don't think anyone can confiscate them. Possession of those are not considered illegal, most they'll ask you to empty the gas by putting the gas in your motorcycle/car, etc, and give you a an advice not to use it. I believe usage of these are controlled through shops, i.e. it is illegal to sell them in California.

Recently, I purchased a Rotopax, and I also purchased a yellow spout to replace the standard that comes with them, right here in CA. I haven't used it, but I believe it won't spill. My next visit to Canada, I plan on buying 5L by Scepter for $5.99 and bring it back with me.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #40
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Anyone here from CHP to chime in on the law that they can enforce?

I've traveled from CA - AZ and CA - NV few times, and have yet to see state border patrol.

IMO, I think California gas stations can refuse to sell you gasoline in one of those containers, but I don't think anyone can confiscate them. Possession of those are not considered illegal, most they'll ask you to empty the gas by putting the gas in your motorcycle/car, etc, and give you a an advice not to use it. I believe usage of these are controlled through shops, i.e. it is illegal to sell them in California.

Recently, I purchased a Rotopax, and I also purchased a yellow spout to replace the standard that comes with them, right here in CA. I haven't used it, but I believe it won't spill. My next visit to Canada, I plan on buying 5L by Scepter for $5.99 and bring it back with me.
OK so you made me look up the law. Apparently CARB can only make the selling of the offending gas cans illegal. I looked up hazardous as well as flammable and combustible vehicle codes and found nothing related to gas can fill spout regs. There is nothing to be found regarding filling of said offending spouts either.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #41
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:

Just like taking homegrown fruit or the like, they have the right to confiscate them apparently. I'm sure not all border stations WILL, but as I understand it, they can refuse entry into CA with one of the old style cans.

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,347
Apparently the type of can shown in the video posted by the OP are no longer sold in the stores around here, at one time that was the only type Walmart sold, the new version is still a non vented type but has a different type of on/off, the ones wallyworld sells now have a collar type on/off that is on the spout, turn the collar one way for on, turn it the other way for off.

I modified my cans like the one shown in the video after watching that, i have 2.5 acres to mow every week in the summer and the unvented, safety latch type cans drive me nuts, pouring 5gal of gas into the mower was slow, now maybe that will speed up the process a little, i know some will say so what, it takes a little time to pour gas but by the time i mow, weed eat and blow off the concrete i end up spending a little over 2 hours.
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #43
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Anyone tried these. Mentioned and ignored in other posts.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #44
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Never seen one, this is what i am seeing in the stores now.

http://themotoauthority.com/wp-conte...-briggs-11.jpg
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #45
jimy
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
I really like the "No Spill" cans. My favorite gas can ever - I prefer it to any of the old fashioned Non "spill proof" cans I have had over the years.

It is great to hold the nozzle over a gas tank opening and then push the trigger to release the gas.

Jim
jimy is offline   Reply With Quote