Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
"Universal" saddle bag recommendation for TX750?

I have a '74 Yamaha TX750 and would like to get some carrying capacity. None of the makers of luggage that require racks seem to make frames for this model which leaves universal saddle bags as an option. Ideally I would like some that could mount under the seat and not require removal of the rear turn signals. At the turn signal there is 12" from the bottom of the seat to the top of the exhaust, 17" from the top of the seat to the exhaust, and 15 1/2" from the frame under the seat to the top of the exhaust. There is also about 16" from the turn signal to where my butt would be while riding.

It would be nice to have bags that could travel empty so there would be a place to put gear (gloves, pants-which easily fold to 13x10x5, etc.) while walking about on day trips, and that would also leave room to use something like a Wolfman Beta Plus for longer trips. I'm considering something like the Givi T469, MotoCentric Cruiser, or Saddlemen Expandable Sport. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

farmrjohn screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 03:55 PM
farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bump-anyone??
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
farmrjohn,

I like the ortlieb dry saddlebags: durable,waterproof

Like these: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...FQmCQgodLEoACw
the newer ones seem to be a little stiffer and more suited to bikes without side luggage racks.

or the older style
http://www.aerostich.com/bags/seat-b...addlebags.html

On my Yamaha FZ1, I am looking to get a set of the ortliebs --I have some older bags similar to the ones you have mentioned --I find them to be a pain that I have to worry about the rain cover flying off, or the stuff getting wet, and the zippers get real fussy when loaded....
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,700
Yep, I found my Ortliebs on Craigslist, cheap.

Sarah
Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Those do look nice. I'm concerned the length might be too long though.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,372
http://www.chaseharper.com/SaddleBags/SaddleBags.htm I use them on my Norton Commando and TX750. How long have you had the TX?

concours screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 06:39 PM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
farmrjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I took delivery in mid September and am just about done getting it roadworthy. The most recent work has been adding an oil cooler and converting to the dual disc brakes in front. I'm also exploring the different options for electronic ignition although the points are working fine at the moment (if it aint broke don't fix it??). I'm about ready to start doing some longer rides which is why I'm considering on board storage.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Crash99
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmrjohn View Post
I took delivery in mid September and am just about done getting it roadworthy. The most recent work has been adding an oil cooler and converting to the dual disc brakes in front. I'm also exploring the different options for electronic ignition although the points are working fine at the moment (if it aint broke don't fix it??). I'm about ready to start doing some longer rides which is why I'm considering on board storage.
Hey there - I had a TX750 in the mid 70's - green with oil cooler and extended sump. Still didnt prevent it from blowing bearings every few thousand km! Hope you have more luck - and if you havent fitted the extended sump apparently its essential to stop the oiI frothing and losing pressure/delivery to vital organs . . . I've heard that very regular oil changes will also help.
I still love the look of them and they were (for their day) a great bike to ride.
Cheers
Crash99 is offline   Reply With Quote