User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
evanphoto OP
May G-d bless Evel

Oddometer: 415
Convert xr650L into a super moto

Does anyone have experience with this? I am going to rebuild my xr and would like to know how difficult or challenging it is to convert necessary parts so as to make it a supermoto. thanks

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,658
Look here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114834
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
www.supermotojunkie.com

Here's mine:
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
The XRL is a popular bike for a sumo conversion. Thumpertalk has many threads on sumo conversions for this bike. What you'll want:

Tires and wheels: You can order them complete, send yours off to be converted, or convert them yourself. I did the job myself with CARC rims ($120 ea maybe), Buchanan spokes ($80/set) and Avon tires. It takes a lot of time and patience to lace a wheel, but it does not require previous experience and it's much cheaper than the other options.

Rear lower link: $125. This lowers the rear end to match how far the front drops when you put on the smaller wheel. This effects handling.

Oversized front rotor: $150. I think I put an EBC rotor on mine. The stock brakes will fade out quickly with the increased stopping traction your wheels will provide.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
RPMMotorcycle
I can fix it.

Oddometer: 21
A different route to conversion

Since I'm only racing one weekend a year and the rest of the year I'm in the dirt I decided to have 2 front wheels/tires and I change out the rear tire only for the swap. On the front I machined down a 2002 GSX-R 1000 wheel to fit and then made an adapter so the stock caliper can be used with the GSX-R rotor. I can provide more detail if wanted. On the rear I just installed a Dunlop KR124A ( the vintage race guys use these) on the stock rim. Looks kinda goofy with the narrow rear but works fine. The previous post got it dead on for a permanent swap.
Attached Images

RPMMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Scudman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanphoto
Does anyone have experience with this? I am going to rebuild my xr and would like to know how difficult or challenging it is to convert necessary parts so as to make it a supermoto. thanks
I just converted a XR650R which should be similar. The rear rim used is a F2 or F3 Honda. Both rims are the same for the rear and they use a 160 tire. This required tons of machining as I retained the original sprocket kush drive. For the front wheel I used the F4 wheel. This also required some machining to make the wheel more narow and the left bearing seal can no longer be used. The front brake is from a GSXR 1000 (320mm) on a manufactured adapter. The brake caliper is from a GSXR 1100 as it is the most narrow caliper in my possesion. In order to fit the 160 tire the front sprocket needs to be installed backwards with the spacer towards the engine. The bike is complete and street legal. Rides great and I really like the handling as well as the braking. The XR650R can be put back to stock in about 2 hours but I only want to ride street. There were no major mods to the frame or swingarm. Your best bet is to either buy the spoked wheels for a direct bolt on or respoke the current hubs. This will be your cheapest and fastest route
Scudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Jba797
Gravel Hound

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoneer View Post
How tall is your seat after your supermoto conversion. Looks rad.

04 KTM 950 ADV For Sale
07 KTM 450 XC-W plated
Jba797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Strigoi
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I know it's an old thread, but I had it bookmarked for some reason and figured I'd throw in a pic of mine.