Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #15316
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Likes like Cycra has their solution as well. And check out the dropdown box, they have a selection for Neken bars: http://store.cycraracing.com/uclhamos.html MSRP looks to be $45

Edit: And here they are $35 shipped if you have amazon prime. http://www.amazon.com/Cycra-Clamp-Se.../dp/B000I87E0S *disclaimer: no idea if these will work with the tiger :P

elan screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 09:33 AM
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #15317
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Likes like Cycra has their solution as well. And check out the dropdown box, they have a selection for Neken bars: http://store.cycraracing.com/uclhamos.html MSRP looks to be $45

Edit: And here they are $35 shipped if you have amazon prime. http://www.amazon.com/Cycra-Clamp-Se.../dp/B000I87E0S *disclaimer: no idea if these will work with the tiger :P
I used these on my XC "Nekken" bend ...worked perfectly. They lined up 100%.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #15318
flyfishbc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Question Hiedenau k60s or Mitas E07s

Anybody tried both. Thinking about new tires for spring. The Mitas E07 s are cheaper and have read pretty good reviews on them. K60 s sound awesome, lots of you guys are running them, but Mitas tires are $240.00 for the pair and free shipping. Makes them attractive, but i want to make sure i'm getting good tires too.
flyfishbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #15319
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishbc View Post
Anybody tried both. Thinking about new tires for spring. The Mitas E07 s are cheaper and have read pretty good reviews on them. K60 s sound awesome, lots of you guys are running them, but Mitas tires are $240.00 for the pair and free shipping. Makes them attractive, but i want to make sure i'm getting good tires too.
Since you get free shipping from MX1 Canada, I would suggest going with the Mitas. Drif10 likes them a lot on his GS. The exorbitant cost to ship them to the USA is the reason I have not bought a set.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #15320
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
I used these on my XC "Nekken" bend ...worked perfectly. They lined up 100%.
Which handguards did you use with these? The stock XC ones?
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #15321
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Which handguards did you use with these? The stock XC ones?
Cycra

Mitas E07....awesome tire! Got 8000 miles on my rear with about 80/20 street /dirt.Probably get another 1k before installing another E07 + the burnout I did last ride didn't help the wear either
For 50/50 tire very hard to beat. We just shipped a Pallett of Mitas tires to Florida & MX1 were great to deal with. I was first introduced to Mitas in S Africa last year....everyone in Africa is running these or the E09's on the big Adv bikes
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #15322
flyfishbc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
thanks for the feedback on the tires. if you could get the heidenau tires for the same price, which would you choose. My brother can get them for me at wholesale, making the price pretty close.
flyfishbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 AM   #15323
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishbc View Post
thanks for the feedback on the tires. if you could get the heidenau tires for the same price, which would you choose. My brother can get them for me at wholesale, making the price pretty close.
I'm no tyre expert but I have put over 20000kms (somewhere over 12k miles) and I still had thousands to go. I've had the stockers, the heidinau's and two sets of Dunlop D606 and they're all good for some things and not so good for others.

I think at this point you need to flip a coin and try a set. If you don't like em, get the others next time.

With all due respect to all the well-meaning and experienced riders on here, nobody can tell you which tyre you will like most for your riding, roads, weather, and load. All you get online is massive OMG THOSE ARE CRAP or not. And even one case where there was an outcry about a type on the Husabergs being crappy, a guy I think rides his a lot more and better than I do disagrees and says they do fine. Go figure.

The safest bet is, barring any outcry of problems, don't fit, or something else you hate like say they wear too fast perhaps... just pick the one you feel has the best karma and only then will you learn how it suits you. And it's only a set of tyres, the most changeable part of a bike!

I see good things on both here, so knock yourself out. Try your brother's sweet deal and then if you don't like 'em you're not out as much.

That's the only answer I've ever come up with on tyres -- get the big issues checked out online or with mates, sure, then go do them yourself and you can lecture the next guy on whay this tyre is superior for this blah blah blah

Good luck. You have an awesome bike to play with tyres on!

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #15324
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Cycra

So I walk into Scotty's Dirt Bike Spares (Ringwood Victoria) today to check on a spare shifter lever for my berg. I look on the effing wall and BLAMMO he's got the Cycra taper mounts right there. feck me swingin' if I didn't buy them on the spot.

Now it's just in the "find the time" bucket as I have a full few days at the moment but I held it next to my stock mount and barring the taper being wrong in the wrong spot, they look like they will do nicely. I will have to (happily) re-vise the bars but that should also mean I can get more adjustment back too!

Thweet.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #15325
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
That's the only answer I've ever come up with on tyres -- get the big issues checked out online or with mates, sure, then go do them yourself and you can lecture the next guy on why this tyre is superior for this blah blah blah
Quite agree. Go get your cash out and try them yourself.

Quote:
Mitas E07....awesome tire! Got 8000 miles on my rear with about 80/20 street /dirt.Probably get another 1k before installing another E07 + the burnout I did last ride didn't help the wear either
For 50/50 tire very hard to beat. We just shipped a Pallett of Mitas tires to Florida & MX1 were great to deal with. I was first introduced to Mitas in S Africa last year....everyone in Africa is running these or the E09's on the big Adv bikes
The question I want answered is :- are the Mitas rears any easier to fit than the Heidenaus.
The heidis are a BASTARD and I dread getting a flat in the middle of nowhere. Although, having said that, I reckon they're so stiff you could ride out of trouble.

Another thing...................has anyone experienced cracking on these tyres as in this thread? http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...e-safety-50899 Or have they cured the problem?

blacktiger screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 03:48 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #15326
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The question I want answered is :- are the Mitas rears any easier to fit than the Heidenaus.
The heidis are a BASTARD and I dread getting a flat in the middle of nowhere. Although, having said that, I reckon they're so stiff you could ride out of trouble.
This ^ is what I forgot to mention earlier. I had a rear Heidenau go flat on me while riding in an off road park. I was able to ride it up the trail to a level dirt road, but breaking the bead required putting the tire under a KTM 950 side stand. I'm not sure the other thumpers in attendance that day had the weight to unseat the bead. I have changed plenty of tires, but none have required the frustration of the K60. It was a team effort. The spokes still have blood on them from that day.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #15327
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
This ^ is what I forgot to mention earlier. I had a rear Heidenau go flat on me while riding in an off road park. I was able to ride it up the trail to a level dirt road, but breaking the bead required putting the tire under a KTM 950 side stand. I'm not sure the other thumpers in attendance that day had the weight to unseat the bead. I have changed plenty of tires, but none have required the frustration of the K60. It was a team effort. The spokes still have blood on them from that day.
I'm guessing they're built on a really stout casing, for the intended purpose; it's a heavy duty tire. If it were built on a more flexible carcass, big bore bikes would probably just shred them, not to mention the sidewalls would be easily damaged. I've changed a lot of tour-bike tires and they're definitely built on a heavier carcass and are usually a two man job, too.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #15328
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Quote:
Quite agree. Go get your cash out and try them yourself.

Another thing...................has anyone experienced cracking on these tyres as in this thread? http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...e-safety-50899 Or have they cured the problem?
Cracking issues are old news...issues have been resolved

The std E07 was tough to mount ...the Dakar E07 will probably be the same as the Heidenau. Breaking the Bead on rear with a "safety" is always hard, especially on the side of the road.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #15329
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Cracking issues are old news...issues have been resolved

The std E07 was tough to mount ...the Dakar E07 will probably be the same as the Heidenau. Breaking the Bead on rear with a "safety" is always hard, especially on the side of the road.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably stick with the Heidis on the rear then as I have a place very near to me that can get them. And they last forever.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #15330
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably stick with the Heidis on the rear then as I have a place very near to me that can get them. And they last forever.
I just had K60 Scouts put on my 800XC today. I was pretty surprised at how stiff the rear in particular was, and was glad that I was having it installed rather than doing it myself.

On the ride home from the shop they felt a little squirrely. Got home and the pressures were way too high. Adjusting the tire pressures then cutting off all the little hairs made them feel much better. Took the bike out this afternoon for about 120 miles, and they feel good now. I need to recheck the pressures in the morning though to get a true cold psi reading. I'm thinking I'll try about 30/35 psi front/rear initially (for the road), then adjust from there.

Yes, I actually took the time to cut all the little hairs off...I'm a little OCD, I didn't work today, and I don't have a wife to yell at me for using the tiny nose hair scissors on the bike.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote