Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Not sure what you are trying to achieve. With memory so cheap most folks find using a 2-4 gig card will cover any ground they need. The limiting factor being the 2025 tile/segment limit imposed by the 60Cx firmware.

I can't offer any suggestions on the naming. There's probably a workaround but it's never been an issue for me as I just toggle Topo, R&R and CityNavigator (and others) to "Show" or "Hide".

Bruce
It's not a matter of memory. It's about being able to create multiple mapsets from different states and load them without having to create a custom set including all of the quads I might need for a given trip. For example, I have a set of Montana quads, and if I want to add some Idaho quads I don't want to have to recreate the entire mapset.

And I'd like to be able to save the mapsets on my hard drive to re-load them for future trips.

As far as City Nav, Topo and R&R, I don't use any Garmin maps. It's all topos downloaded from gpsfiledepot.

Though I've seen good reports of Road & Rec, but I can't find it on Garmin's website. Where can I get this map?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
I have a GPS 60CSx - I can see the gmapsupp.img on the SD card in Windows Explorer. Can I simply use File:Rename to give it an identifying name and then load other mapsets, renaming each as I go?

Where on my hard drive does Garmin save the mapsets I create in Mapsource? It would be so much easier to create them, name them, then drag and drop to the card.

And while I'm asking questions - why doesn't Garmin save it with the name I give the Mapset when I create it? And can I specify where to save it?

EDIT: I followed the link to Oregon info, and it says yes, you can simply rename the file on the card. Can I assume this applies to the 60CSx as well?

And why does Garmin make us do these things?
The 60/76/Legend etc do not have the ability to have multiple maps with different names accessible on the same card, to the gps. This ability was introduced with the Colorado and extends now to the Oregon, Dakota and Montana line.

As others have mentioned, you may bebetter off in your case to just keep multiple maps loaded to different cards, or load all of the maps you want at the same time to the one gmapsupp.img file. The 60/76/Legend can still enable/disable different maps individually even if they're all in one file.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
The other advantage of renaming the map sets is that you can adjust the order in which the Oregon layers them.
The map name has nothing to do with the order of the layers. GMapTool appears to give you the ability to influence the hierarchy that Garmin gives to the maps, but I haven't experimented with this just yet.

I think the option is here in this screen, called 'Set Draw Priority'.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #19
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
As others have mentioned, you may bebetter off in your case to just keep multiple maps loaded to different cards, or load all of the maps you want at the same time to the one gmapsupp.img file. The 60/76/Legend can still enable/disable different maps individually even if they're all in one file.
I think the complicating factor is that Aanarchy is not using Garmin map sets and the tiles or quads may only be listed individual and not as a set making "Show All" & "Hide All" the only practical option.

Seems there is software which allows smaller individual tiles to be grouped into fewer larger tiles and may even allow renaming.
Still think multiple cards may be the way to go. 2 gig cards are basically through-aways now days.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
The 60/76/Legend etc do not have the ability to have multiple maps with different names accessible on the same card, to the gps. This ability was introduced with the Colorado and extends now to the Oregon, Dakota and Montana line.
Mystery solved. I'll work around it. You da man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
I think the complicating factor is that Aanarchy is not using Garmin map sets and the tiles or quads may only be listed individual and not as a set making "Show All" & "Hide All" the only practical option.
More good advice. I'll live with it. I'd rather make a donation to gpsfileexchange than pay Garmin $99 for their topo set. And I was amazed to find that they sell a 4gig SD card for about $35, when you can get them on Amazon for $6-$7.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #21
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Bumping an older thread;

This info might be above but I'm a little slow on the uptake. I have an Oregon 400c. This is the model that comes preloaded with BlueCharts for marine use. I use this as a backup unit on my boat.

I'm in early stage planning of a TET ride form NJ to FL on my 450 EXC. I don't really want to buy another GPS. Can I load the topo maps (I think this is what I need to navigate the TET?) into my 400C without permanently losing my BlueChart maps? I'm assuming only one mapset can be loaded at a time?

TIA.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #22
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
Bumping an older thread;

This info might be above but I'm a little slow on the uptake. I have an Oregon 400c. This is the model that comes preloaded with BlueCharts for marine use. I use this as a backup unit on my boat.

I'm in early stage planning of a TET ride form NJ to FL on my 450 EXC. I don't really want to buy another GPS. Can I load the topo maps (I think this is what I need to navigate the TET?) into my 400C without permanently losing my BlueChart maps? I'm assuming only one mapset can be loaded at a time?
Your Oregon C will have no problem with multiple mapsets but be careful how you load the Topos or any others you want.

Here's what you should do:
  1. Connect your gps to your computer in mass storage mode.
  2. Run Web Updater to make sure your unit software is up to date.
  3. Update the gps, then reconnect it to the computer.
  4. Back up the gps to a directory on your computer using Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder just in case you make a mistake later.
  5. Go back to the gps and look for any *.img files. They are where maps are stored. If you see one called gmapsupp.img, change its name to something like original.img. Doesn't really matter what it's called as long as you know which file it is.
  6. Make sure your mapping software is up to date as well. You'll be using MapInstall (Windows), or (MAC) not MapSource.
  7. Run MapInstall to add your other maps (Help is here)

I think that's all there is to it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #23
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Your Oregon C will have no problem with multiple mapsets but be careful how you load the Topos or any others you want.

Here's what you should do:
  1. Connect your gps to your computer in mass storage mode.
  2. Run Web Updater to make sure your unit software is up to date.
  3. Update the gps, then reconnect it to the computer.
  4. Back up the gps to a directory on your computer using Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder just in case you make a mistake later.
  5. Go back to the gps and look for any *.img files. They are where maps are stored. If you see one called gmapsupp.img, change its name to something like original.img. Doesn't really matter what it's called as long as you know which file it is.
  6. Make sure your mapping software is up to date as well. You'll be using MapInstall (Windows), or (MAC) not MapSource.
  7. Run MapInstall to add your other maps (Help is here)

I think that's all there is to it.
Excellent! Many thanks!

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #24
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Exactly what he said, and if you get the ram mount for your GPS it will stay on the bike no matter what you do. So far my gps has stayed on through every trail, wreck, and crash I've tried.

The one thing I don't like, is that when you have it plugged in, it's not really waterproof anymore.

And to add, for a simpler method you don't need to use software. just plug the gps in, copy the files with different names, MAKE SURE DIFFERENT NAMES, to not overwrite the original files. Then from the device you can choose which maps to load.
The first time you load the map from the device, it will take a bit to load it. Then it's quick.
I keep a very detailed regional topo on the device, but not loaded usually.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #25
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 709
And for even quicker map transfer, take the SD card out of the GPS and stick it in a card reader.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is online now   Reply With Quote