User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
VFR Titus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Waterproof-ness of Rev It Tornado

Hi guys, did a search on Rev It Tornado but didn't find any comments on its waterproof-ness, so here goes...

I'm trying to decide between the Tornado and Air Wave jacket/pants. From Revzilla's site both of them basically look the same with massive amounts of mesh (Air Wave maybe +10% more mesh area). Air Wave is cheaper due to lack of waterproof liner.

The place I ride in asia we get up to 94 degrees with 90% humidity with monsoon rains thrown in for good measure... the ideal gear would be a mesh set that can also quickly provide water proof function. The Tornado nails this in the head but I'm just wondering how water proof can the gear be when it's shell is still covered in mesh? I mean if the water proofness of the liner on the Tornado is not ideal, I might as well save myself the money by going with Air Wave.

Anyone with a Tornado ridden through some good down pourings? Thanks!
'08 VFR 800 - Nuts roaster in HK
Cagers diet for vanity. Riders diet for better power to weight ratio
VFR Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
CreatureCore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Even if the outside jacket was solid cordura it would not provide any water resistance. In fact it would do the opposite and get soaked giving a larger chance for water to seep into the water proof layer. I still would personally go with the jacket with no liner and buy a goretex paclite shell to go over it.
CreatureCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Rev'it uses a gore-tex-like material for their waterproof liners in many of their jackets and pants. These liners do nothing to keep the jacket itself dry, but in my experience do a pretty good job of keeping the rider dry. Their liners do breathe a bit, but you'll still be hotter wearing the liner than you are without it. When it rains, however, the liners can feel a bit cold, depending on air and rain temperature.

If I remember correctly, the Tornado may be one of the Rev'it jackets that combines an insulated and a waterproof liner in to one unit. That may be too hot for the conditions you describe.

I own an Airwave jacket and a Rev'it Sand jacket also. In hot weather I use the Airwave and bring along the waterproof liner from the Sand jacket if I think it may rain. That liner won't zip into the Airwave like it does in the Sand, but it still works OK, and is in fact quicker to put on without zipping it in place. If the Tornado uses an un-insulated liner, it should act very much my Air jacket with Sand liner combination, which sounds like ti should meet your requirements.

One thing you should know about the Airwave. The collar snap is too tight for my neck, and I don't have a particularly thick neck. I have heard others have the same complaint. In addition, unlike many other Revit jackets, the collar does not have the little hook that holds it open when it is unsnapped, so it flaps in the breeze all the time. On top of that, the collar is cut such that the flap with the snap curves upwards towards your chin when unsnapped, where it gets caught on my helmet strap when I turn my head. An additional issue is that if you leave the main zipper partially unzipped to get more airflow, there is a large storm flap under the zipper, which blocks the opening, preventing additional cooling. Why they would put a big storm flap on a mesh jacket is beyond me, and it would seem that a hot weather jacket should have a looser collar than their other jackets, rather than tighter, and a mesh jacket needs the hook to hold it back more than other jackets too. As you can see I'm not too happy with it. I stopped using it after a couple of months. My old Air jacket, which was the predecessor to the Airwave, was better.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Rev'it uses a gore-tex-like material for their waterproof liners in many of their jackets and pants. These liners do nothing to keep the jacket itself dry, but in my experience do a pretty good job of keeping the rider dry. Their liners do breathe a bit, but you'll still be hotter wearing the liner than you are without it. When it rains, however, the liners can feel a bit cold, depending on air and rain temperature.

If I remember correctly, the Tornado may be one of the Rev'it jackets that combines an insulated and a waterproof liner in to one unit. That may be too hot for the conditions you describe.

I own an Airwave jacket and a Rev'it Sand jacket also. In hot weather I use the Airwave and bring along the waterproof liner from the Sand jacket if I think it may rain. That liner won't zip into the Airwave like it does in the Sand, but it still works OK, and is in fact quicker to put on without zipping it in place. If the Tornado uses an un-insulated liner, it should act very much my Air jacket with Sand liner combination, which sounds like ti should meet your requirements.

One thing you should know about the Airwave. The collar snap is too tight for my neck, and I don't have a particularly thick neck. I have heard others have the same complaint. In addition, unlike many other Revit jackets, the collar does not have the little hook that holds it open when it is unsnapped, so it flaps in the breeze all the time. On top of that, the collar is cut such that the flap with the snap curves upwards towards your chin when unsnapped, where it gets caught on my helmet strap when I turn my head. An additional issue is that if you leave the main zipper partially unzipped to get more airflow, there is a large storm flap under the zipper, which blocks the opening, preventing additional cooling. Why they would put a big storm flap on a mesh jacket is beyond me, and it would seem that a hot weather jacket should have a looser collar than their other jackets, rather than tighter, and a mesh jacket needs the hook to hold it back more than other jackets too. As you can see I'm not too happy with it. I stopped using it after a couple of months. My old Air jacket, which was the predecessor to the Airwave, was better.
I use the Airwave jacket and pants in the summer on the hottest, muggiest days and it's amazing though I would agree wit the comments on its collar. Not only is it a bit small and lacks a "hold-back-open mechanism like other Rev'it jackets but it's also strangely stiff like an over-starched shirt. Apart from that, I have zero complaints but yes, I have heard from others that its predecessor, the Rev'it Air was a slightly better jacket. I've had other mesh jackets from Spidi and Dainese and they didn't flow nearly as well as the Airwave. Sorry, I know this doesn't provide much info regarding waterproofness but...
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
VFR Titus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
super, great big thank you for sharing your experience guys!!!

I think I will be going with the Tornado; I understand it will probably be too hot to put on the insulated waterproof liner during summer monsoons so guess I'll either wear my north face hiking pac lite jacket over it or just take a shower when I get home! It does get chilly for a few weeks during the winter (having a freak winter this year with 4th wettest on record) down to 55 degrees so guess the insulation will come out then.

Sounds like they need to sort out the collar issue on the air wave!

Again thanks for the input guys!!!
'08 VFR 800 - Nuts roaster in HK
Cagers diet for vanity. Riders diet for better power to weight ratio
VFR Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
mervingry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Frogg Toggs

When it rains, I simply wear a Frogg Toggs jacket over top of my Toronado mesh jacket. Frogg Toggs are waterproof and very breathable.
mervingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR Titus View Post
The place I ride in asia we get up to 94 degrees with 90% humidity with monsoon rains thrown in for good measure...
Sounds like summer deluge here in southeaast Texas. Let me just start by saying REV'IT! started using bona fide GoreTex in their top of the line gear for a reason. Their proprietary Hydratex is fine in moderate conditions. I had a Navigator jacket which I loved but a sustained heavy downpour rained right through the liner. I upgraded to the Defender with the lifetime GoreTex liner and couldn't be happier. In REVIT's defense, I still wear my 1st generation Dakar pants which are 5yrs old now. I just dowse the Hydratex liner with Texsport camp waterproofing and it works well.

For hot weather, the G-liner might not be the best idea either since you cannot wear the rain liner without the thermal layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervingry View Post
When it rains, I simply wear a Frogg Toggs jacket over top of my Toronado mesh jacket. Frogg Toggs are waterproof and very breathable.
Good advice. "Only a sprinkle, I'll just ignore it . . . . . aah, just a light shower, I'll air dry in no time . . . . (already wet) Oh crap, the sky's turning dark, here comes the downpour. Time to put the liner in." This is not the best time to take your pants off to insert the liner. In summer heat I wear the Olympia textile/mesh one-piece and carry a rain suit to go over. In anything up to 90f I have to decide to go with or without the rain liner in my Dakar pants when I start out. They vent well enough so it's not bad with the liner in. I can quickly pull over and pop the liner into my jacket any time.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote