ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #976
reed10
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for the link. Im ready to ride some of those roads.
reed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #977
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 257
For the January 5th statewide lunch in Ridgeland, I recommend street bikes or street capable bikes. Still (of course) not sure yet about the weather, but I'll post up as time gets closer. I'm putting new handlebars on my R1, so maybe I can stand to ride it a little longer than I have been lately!

See you guys there...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #978
kalonji
nihilism or nothing

Oddometer: 1,721
I'm 100% street. If you wanna try out the speed triple that day we can trade for a little while. I wouldn't mine trying out the r1 or the duke again. If you bring the KLR we ain't tradin'!
kalonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #979
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

No problem>>>I'll have the R1 upgraded to the new Apex handlebars by then. Glad to swap, any time, though! We aren't swapping seats in the Rocket though!!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #980
kalonji
nihilism or nothing

I think that would be best for everyone.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #981
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed10 View Post
I just found this thread and I'm new to the site. I would love to join everyone and I am coming from West Columbia. Now the question is what bike to ride, the dual sport or street bike.
Reed, dual sport? We've got a group in Charleston that really Enjoyed Enoree OHV trail. It closes for three months in Jan, but we'll be going often come spring.
A number of us are also running Broxton Bridge Dual Sport Jan 12&13. Check in with us on the Weekly rides near Charleston, SC thread. Sorry if this is considered a hijack.
Clint

Sent from my DROID ZR using Tapatalk 2
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #982
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Merry Christmas!
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #983
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,827

I like this picture. It fits once a year.
caycek5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #984
gimpy9195
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
subscribed.. got a kitchen pass!
gimpy9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #985
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I'm in for this Saturday.
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #986
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Okay, fellow adventurers! Looks like the gods of highways, motorcycles, and BBQ are smiling on us. It may be a bit cool, but looks like the weather will be rideable tomorrow for the "Statewide Lunch".

(1) I've spoken with the BBQ restaurant and they are ready for us, either few or many, (2) the Rocket is fully operational and down to about half fuel (meaning: operational weight suitable for mild, first-timer aerobatics), and I'm taking the day off to finish the clip-on upgrade to my R1 (had to have new, longer, front brake lines and a new reservoir bracket fabricated). I will pre-run the post-lunch riding route this afternoon (drove it last weekend and saw no road work, particularly bad sections, nor potholes). I'll try to get a total ride distance and time if I can, but guessing for anyone considering going on the ride, I'd say we're talking about 125+ miles and a couple of hours. This will be a SC back-road run with little traffic and few other vehicles and will end up at Yemessee, right on Navigational Aid 95. Assuming all goes well at the BBQ, we should hit Yemessee around 2:00 to 2:30 pm for planning purposes for your ride home.

You can readily gas up in Ridgeland (remember, we start at the Ridgeland Airport at 10:00 am) and also in Yemassee for the trip home. I'll be at the airport at 9:30 or so to get the airplane ready and we can probably do 2-3 flights for those who might be interested. Once done, it's only a mile to the restaurant and the back-road ride will begin as soon as lunch is done. Reminder: About $11, drink, tip, and all for a monster lunch.

And, FYI: If no one can make it---I'm going anyway!!

Lee...

Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #987
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post
EDIT: Disregard the date in the heading; should be Saturday, 5 January.

Okay, here is the basic plan I'd like to suggest for consideration for the January, 2013 statewide lunch. Since anyone attending will have to ride pretty far south within the state, I figure we might as well make it worth your while.

If you'd like to spend a little time at a nice country airport and watch a little flying (assuming the weather is good enough for riding AND flying), come to the Ridgeland Airport sometime between 10:00 am and 11:00 am. I'll break out the Rocket and can probably crank off a couple of rides for those interested (Laura?). Lunch will be at noon at the BBQ Grill, 8084 East Main Street #D, Ridgeland, SC. It's only a three minute ride from the airport. This is a small buffet style BBQ restaurant---you would probably not stumble across this place on your own. No way you'll be able to keep from going back for seconds. Full buffet and drink for $9.00.

After lunch, if anyone is interested, I can then lead a short ride that will work us out into the low-country on rural roads but which will eventually wind up at Yemassee (the third exit on I-95 north of the Ridgeland exit). There we can take a quick refreshment break at the "famous" Harold's Country Club. That should position just about everyone to hit Highways 3, 21, 321, etc and of course, I-95 and then I-26 and on home. Harold's itself is on Highway 17, so the Charleston crowd will be perfectly set up on a familiar highway to get home.

More than the usual lunch, but if the weather is really nice and you'd like a fun day to start off the new year, this should give you a kick start. All purely voluntary, of course. If you're just interested in lunch, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the BBQ Grill and if the weather is nice, just riding down here should be fun!

Lee...
Just posting up to say I'm in.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #988
kalonji
nihilism or nothing

If anyone wants to meet up and drive down together we'll be at the Hardee's in Ravenel on hwy 17 around 9:00 and leaving shortly after.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #989
gimpy9195
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
woohoo

Kalon.. PM sent!

Lee.. your offer is one that can not be passed up. I will clean up any mess if I make one . I have never riden in a small plane. Helicopters yes but thats with the military and those guys were just trying to be donkeys to the non-flight line guys like me. I am soooooo down.

and i can't wait for the guided tour of the south. Shall I leave the saddle bags at the house?

-Gimpy
gimpy9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #990
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Glad to see some inmates checking in. I'm having a helluva time working out all the "clearance" issues I have with the new adjustable risers I bought for my R1. Bottom line, I'll be riding my Duke instead. It's not very fast but maybe I'll be able to keep up by leading and blocking everyone else! Headed out in a few minutes to check out the route one more time.

(1) BBQ place says they're ready, (2) Checked at the hangar and the Rocket is waiting quietly (for now), and (3) I'll give the KTM a bit of a ride this afternoon to make sure all is well there too.

See you guys tomorrow!

Lee...