Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #31
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
The non-returnable part regarding custom gear is definitely true, but I think most places that make custom gear will also alter it for you if you lose or gain weight to some extent (there's only so much change alteration can make practically, though, and really large changes do require shifting to a new size.) The only custom gear I've tried has been Motoport mesh kevlar trousers, and I've been very happy with the fit based on measurements I sent. They were definitely expenive, but I plan on using them for a long time.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #32
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..

Oddometer: 1,111
Well, I meant that any jacket once you've used it is non returnable and if I buy one now and like it but get to the summer and it's way too hot (which I suspect it will be by the way), I have no options but to keep it.

As for getting another jacket if I ever get slim. First, if I get to the weight I used to be, I'd gladly get a new jacket. Second, I don't mind much wearing something too big and I would ask them to make something so that I can tighten up the gut a good bit as that's where I'll have most weight loss anyway.
guiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #33
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,821
My wife gave me a voucher for a waterproof textile jacket for Christmas. We went shopping at Chaparral for one a couple days ago. I had done my research and had intended to buy the Kilimanjaro by Firstgear. They had 4 jackets there that fit my basic requirements, the Firstgear Kilimanjaro, the Transition 3 by Tourmaster, the Sport Tulluride by AGV and I "think" the Hat Trick by Scorpion. I didn't pay as much attention to the AGV and Scorpion jackets as I sort of wanted to stick with either Firstgear or Tourmaster. I had bought a Tourmaster for my wife about a year ago and she was very happy with it keeping her dry while riding through some monsoon rains in Utah last summer.

After trying on both the Kilimanjaro and Transition and inspecting the hell out of them I chose the Tourmaster Transition 3, it fit me better (5'9" ~200lbs), was more comfortable, especially in the arms, and I prefer velcro over snaps. It's a personal thing, some like snaps, some like velcro, I'm a velcro guy. My previous Joe Rocket jacket (older ballistic model think) had a mix of both. I'd say the features were very similar, the only thing the Transition 3 lacks is the roll out hood in the collar like the Kilimanjaro has, that's kinda cool. Otherwise I'd say the venting, pockets, liners, etc. are very similar. The arms are slightly long for me but the same length as the Kilimanjaro. The arm length on my Joe Rocket fits me a little better. I wear a XL in all 3.

One thing for certain, at least for me, you really need to try on the jackets you are considering as the fit and feel can vary tremendously. If a jacket isn't comfortable I don't care how good it is, it's gotta fit me and feel good when I wear it. The fit of both the Kilimanjaro and Transition were similar, but the feel was very different, primarily in the arms.

I took it for a short ride today and it's warm, maybe slightly warmer than my Joe Rocket. When it's cold most of the time I'll be riding with my heated jacket liner replacing the regular liner, but the stock liner is good, with full quilting on the arms and core. I'll have to wait to see how waterproof it is and how the venting works during the summer.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
drvslow
n00b

Oddometer: 7
All those brands are great- I prefer First Gear. But............

Cycle Gear has the Bilt Adventure Jacket on sale and you get - free pants, gloves- and helmet with purchase. Jacket is $199.

From now until 1/30/2013, buy the BILT Explorer Adventure Jacket at regular price and get the BILT Explorer Adventure Pants, BILT Explorer Urban Rider Adventure Gloves, and the BILT Explorer Adventure Helmet free! Call 1-800-CYCLEGEAR (1-800-292-5343) to take advantage of this great deal!

Let me know if you buy and want to sell the helmet-
drvslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #35
guiri OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvslow View Post
All those brands are great- I prefer First Gear. But............

Cycle Gear has the Bilt Adventure Jacket on sale and you get - free pants, gloves- and helmet with purchase. Jacket is $199.

From now until 1/30/2013, buy the BILT Explorer Adventure Jacket at regular price and get the BILT Explorer Adventure Pants, BILT Explorer Urban Rider Adventure Gloves, and the BILT Explorer Adventure Helmet free! Call 1-800-CYCLEGEAR (1-800-292-5343) to take advantage of this great deal!

Let me know if you buy and want to sell the helmet-
Helluva find AND, they come in 5x :)
I have a store close to me so I'll go Friday and check it out :)

If I get the stuff, I'll definitely let you know

Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #36
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
Teknic Freeway. Crazy warm, waterproof, and more pockets than you'll ever use. Vents well enough to use up to about 80 degrees.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #37
guiri OP

Looks nice but I can't find it in bigger than 52 and according to the sizing chart I looked at, I couldn't squeeze half my gut in that jacket
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #38
That'sLife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post

But b adviced, the Kilimanjaro inner jacket is fleece lined, the Olympia is not.
Not sure about the previous versions of the Kilimanjaro but the new one is definately NOT fleece lined. Check out the video on Revzilla. Just wanted to put that out there.

I tried Kilimanjaro and the Kathmandu on recently and I would say the sizes are pretty generous. I usually buy large but I could probably get by with a medium. I know you are looking for 5XL but if you found a place that stocked the Firstgear stuff then I would see if a 4XL would do the trick. Hell even the Beemership here sells Firstgear. If it fit then you could purchase online and save some $.

Just a thought.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #39
guiri OP

Thanks, that's good to know.

I WAS going to cyclegear and competition accessories on friday as they have stores close to me and I've called both stores. Apparenlty CG has a bunch of jackets under 150 bucks and they are all made in 5x and although they only had 4x in stock, I'm gonna go there and check them out. Nice looking jackets too

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1008403

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1001112

Then of course there's the one they've got a special on http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1011534
Although it said $199 the other day...?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #40
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Before you buy anything, do yourself a favor and check out the BMW Tourance 2 jacket. This thing has been discontinued and there are some GREAT deals on them if you can find one. They are a waterproof shell with very good armor. It has a zip-in liner that is nylon lined (not fleece). With the liner out and the vents open, I can ride in temps up to 90ish. Beyond that, its a bit stuffy.

Even before they started selling these are heavy discounts, they were a good deal. Now that they are on close-out, they are an absolute steal. It really is waterproof as well.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
guiri OP

PRoblem is, none of the two retailers I'm going to see has them, not even online :(
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #42
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
$275 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Tourance-2.../dp/B004NTGWEC

It is a friggin' bargain at that price.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #43
guiri OP

Sorry, yeah, saw that one but at only 3x, I don't stand a chance...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #44
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I've been VERY happy with the two First Gear jackets I own. The regular length Teton TPG uses a waterproof outside fabric so that water doesn't get in - works great, and the 3/4 Kathmandu also uses the waterproof outside fabric. I've found both to have plenty of pockets, waterproof zips, and very comfortable. I bought both from my local Cycle Gear before they started carrying all that in house stuff. The jackets stand up to the rain here in the Pacific North West and haven't let any water in yet. The thermal liners are removable, and the venting on both is excellent, for when it does stop raining and the sun does come out. I just wish I could find a pair of boots as waterproof as the jackets! FYI - the First Gear heated gloves are awesome, and so far, waterproof.

Cheers,

Bill
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #45
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by That'sLife View Post
Not sure about the previous versions of the Kilimanjaro but the new one is definately NOT fleece lined. Check out the video on Revzilla. Just wanted to put that out there.
I can confirm that, the liner in the new Kilimanjaro I tried on was quilted, not fleece lined.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote