User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #1276
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
[QUOTE
Anyone else had this happen to a point where it blows out all over? Anyone call BS on the issue or does this sound about right?

Thanks for the feedback![/QUOTE]

I have 30,000 km on my Sertao now, have had the oil overfilled twice (by the dealer), and dropped it twice and have never suffered this problem. I drain the air cleaner from time to time but i've taken maybe a thimble full of oil in total if you combine all the drainings.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #1277
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
That's absolute BS - I'd just don't understand why I am supposed to be draining oil anywhere.... It's the first time I've heard of the issue... I hope I don't get a chance to experience it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeBite View Post
Okay got a call from the dealer and went down to investigate and pick up my bike. It looks like oil was filling up in the air box (which I was told i should be draining) and it got to a point where it overflowed and blew out all over. The dealer stated that it is either due to over filling the oil (which is not the case) dropping the bike (Last time I droped it was 2 months ago) or riding in a high gear at a very low speed which causes pressure to build (more likely the case)......I had never heard of this happening....however looking at some similar symptoms in the Dakar thread that this is can be a common occurance. That being said.....I guess no harm no foul. No Charge from the dealer or tow service and I guess I screwed up my ride for this week. I am happy that there isnt a serious issue. I guess I overlooked the part that I should be checking this out.

Anyone else had this happen to a point where it blows out all over? Anyone call BS on the issue or does this sound about right?

Thanks for the feedback!

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #1278
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Cool2 Compression

Does anyone know what the service bullion on compression saids it should be. I feel like I'm getting the run around from my dealer . After getting my bike back the bike is no better than before.
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #1279
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Handlebar replacement?

Wondering if anyone has changed there handlebar setup? Unfortanetly, I had my moto pushed to the floor during the late night and it tweaked the bars a bit. Bars are shitty thank god for my bark busters or I would've had my lever broken as well. If no one hasn't changed there bars yet maybe you can help me with the dimensions so I can get something close to the current setup. It's real comfy as it is now and I wouldn't want to change the dimensions much.

Any help with be appreaciated.

alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #1280
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Waiting

I've asked my dealer to get me a Sertao. Apparently the 2012's are gone and I'm waiting on a 2013. I'm okay with that as I'm assuming the compression lever will be a non-issue.

But I'm anxious for it to show up. The dealer, who I've bought three other bikes from and trust, says it will be late February or early March before they get a Sertao for me. If anyone sees a 2013 Sertao being delivered in the U.S., I'd be interested in hearing where.
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #1281
ScopeBite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertbilly View Post
I've asked my dealer to get me a Sertao. Apparently the 2012's are gone and I'm waiting on a 2013. I'm okay with that as I'm assuming the compression lever will be a non-issue.

But I'm anxious for it to show up. The dealer, who I've bought three other bikes from and trust, says it will be late February or early March before they get a Sertao for me. If anyone sees a 2013 Sertao being delivered in the U.S., I'd be interested in hearing where.
I wouldnt be so sure the 2012's are all gone. I have seen a couple lingering at some shops in Los Angeles area. You may be able to get a dealer transfer. That is if you want one now.
ScopeBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #1282
scottomcgotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Laugh

Well just got back from my first real trip on the Rocinante (I name my bikes ) and I couldn't be happier. I travelled from my home in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales up to my parents place about an hour north of Brisbane. I broke the ride up over 2 days, stopping to camp in the Warrumbungle National Park (where it got up to 42c during the day!)

it was about 480km on day one, 780km on day two.
The trip back I took the scenic route down the coast, then snuck inland to ride Putty Rd up into the mountains to avoid Sydney (and holiday) traffic. I did the ride back in one day, 15 hours and about 1200km. I was a little stiff and sore, but the bike loved being able to stretch it's legs. He has just on 4500km on the clock now.
While I was up there I managed to get a ride in with my old man and my Lady Friend (ex wife, but we are still close).

I know that a sport tourer probably would have served me better on this trip as I kept to the black stuff, but I am really happy with how it performed and now know that it is more than capable of long distance highway riding. Now to work on my dirt riding skills :)

scottomcgotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #1283
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertbilly View Post

There is a 2012 on the floor of the Tulsa, Oklahoma BMW dealership, as of last Saturday.
RogerWilco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #1284
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomcgotto View Post
Well just got back from my first real trip on the Rocinante (I name my bikes )
What a perfect name for this bike. Sounds like you had a great trip.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #1285
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Thumb new battery

I just installed a new Shorai lithium iron battery.Great way to save almost 5 lbs. of up high weight and get away from spilled acid and go maintenance free at the same time. I used the bigger of the two sizes which fit the Sertao. The LFX 14L5-BS12 is the same size as the stock BMW battery but is 4.75 lbs. lighter. It has 14Ah vr. 12Ah for the stock and has 210cca. The stock BMW battery has 12.77 volts at rest while the Shorai has 13.6. Even at 90% discharged the Shorai still has more volts for the injector pump than the standard battery. I've been told the pump must have at least 11.9 volts to fire the pump which is why the voltage is so important. The new Shorai cost $159.95
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #1286
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Wondering if anyone has changed there handlebar setup? Unfortanetly, I had my moto pushed to the floor during the late night and it tweaked the bars a bit. Bars are shitty thank god for my bark busters or I would've had my lever broken as well. If no one hasn't changed there bars yet maybe you can help me with the dimensions so I can get something close to the current setup. It's real comfy as it is now and I wouldn't want to change the dimensions much.

Any help with be appreaciated.

Check out F650.com on the handlebar replacements and issues w/grips/etc. Same bike, different name. Some of us Dakar owners have moved to Pro Taper's or Renthals w/a seperate crossbar. Fatter, stronger and well, prettier!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #1287
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
I just installed a new Shorai lithium iron battery.Great way to save almost 5 lbs. of up high weight and get away from spilled acid and go maintenance free at the same time. I used the bigger of the two sizes which fit the Sertao. The LFX 14L5-BS12 is the same size as the stock BMW battery but is 4.75 lbs. lighter. It has 14Ah vr. 12Ah for the stock and has 210cca. The stock BMW battery has 12.77 volts at rest while the Shorai has 13.6. Even at 90% discharged the Shorai still has more volts for the injector pump than the standard battery. I've been told the pump must have at least 11.9 volts to fire the pump which is why the voltage is so important. The new Shorai cost $159.95
13.6V? How does it do that?!? Does the charging input even get that high? Confused!

I'd be interested to hear how well that does when it gets cold :)
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #1288
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomcgotto View Post
Well just got back from my first real trip on the Rocinante (I name my bikes ) and I couldn't be happier. I travelled from my home in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales up to my parents place about an hour north of Brisbane. I broke the ride up over 2 days, stopping to camp in the Warrumbungle National Park (where it got up to 42c during the day!)

it was about 480km on day one, 780km on day two.
The trip back I took the scenic route down the coast, then snuck inland to ride Putty Rd up into the mountains to avoid Sydney (and holiday) traffic. I did the ride back in one day, 15 hours and about 1200km. I was a little stiff and sore, but the bike loved being able to stretch it's legs. He has just on 4500km on the clock now.
While I was up there I managed to get a ride in with my old man and my Lady Friend (ex wife, but we are still close).

I know that a sport tourer probably would have served me better on this trip as I kept to the black stuff, but I am really happy with how it performed and now know that it is more than capable of long distance highway riding. Now to work on my dirt riding skills :)

You do not see many Henry Shire Scarp 2 tents.....I have one , it is fantastic
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #1289
Skelt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Desertbilly if you take a short drive. Ironhorse in Tucson has two 2013 Sertaos on the floor, if you don't want to wait till February. Tell Jim that Don sent you.

2007 K1200 GT
1995 R1100GS
2001 F650 GS/Dakar
Skelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #1290
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I decided to go to the local gun show to see how outrageous the prices had gotten, The family were suppose to join me, but go to the home show next door instead, But canceled last min. so I thought it might be fun to take the Sertao, Since it had been over a month or so since I had driven it, Here in Salt Lake City, the morning temps have been in the single digits, However the Sertao fired right up, I bundled up tight with everything I had to keep the wind off me, With the heated grips on high I headed out and had zero issues with the motorcycle, my only issues were my chin, fingertips and my toes, Oh and the gun show was a zoo, Prices were crazy, lucky for me I only went to look and chat, I had quite a few people comment on my choice of transportation but it was fun to be out riding, I have never been out on a motorcycle in early Jan.
Still very pleased with my purchase.