User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #91
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,632
Does this make my butt look fat?

Not content to let the farmer have all the fun, I did me some more digging around the barnyard at Rancho Highfive. No retired road signs could be found, but I did discover a thick sheet of black PVC covering up a hole between the barn wall and the chicken coop (to keep the coons & skunks out….pesky critters).

Gave it a washing with the hose, cut a small square out on the table saw. then proudly paraded my treasure into the Highfive Laboratory for Stupid Bike Tricks!

Made a sizing template from a piece of cardboard material (some kind of fancy collapsable ice cooler….must have been Sweet Thang's box…..she won't miss it). Or, will she?

I'm shooting for about 11" wide near the seat tapered down to 9" wide at the tail, with a length approximately 10" more or less. The stock plastic tail rack is pretty snazzy looking, but doesn't really have much useable flat surface area. So, I'm fixing to enlarge the backyard real estate a bit.

And now, I get to use my super duper radius striker to round those corners:

Yes indeed, that there is a real Card Table I'm working over. I feel the need to point this out to the younger inmates that may be puzzled by this strange portable working surface. Card Tables were used all the time by old folks like me (back in the day) to play real games on. Stuff like Crazy 8's, Gin Rummy, Bridge, Backgammon, Checkers, & Yahtzee. Aaahh…the Golden Age of gaming, when every household had a card table. Long before the Machine's arrived on the scene and sucked the creative freedom out of all future generations cleverly enslaving them under the spell of electronic video games. But, I digress...

That was the easy part. Now comes the hard part….which I shall largely skip over, because it was a messy mess of a mess. Apparently, I don't own the proper tools for easily working on 1/2" thick PVC sheeting. But, I do have a nice vise that held the piece very securely.

Way later and a bit rough around the edges……hhhmmm…..ain't half bad.

I like it.

Besides, it will be covered by a bag of various sorts most of the time anyway.

I've still got a big chunk of material left. Maybe I'll just let those chickens out of the pen and see if I can make me a skid plate with this stuff…

HF

p.s. Yeah....more work to go. Still have to notch in some strap holes later.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 09:44 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #92
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,046
I know for a FACT, these pictures were only taken after HOURS of cleaning up yards of freakin plastic shavings, curly cues, and dust from every vertical surface of your shop.... There is no avoiding it.

looks great though.
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #93
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Besides, it will be covered by a bag of various sorts most of the time anyway.
Nice. I'd be inclined to mill a couple of slots in the sides are rear to make it easy to attach stuff with straps.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #94
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,438
sounds exactly like a xr400 method of checking the oil level.

over time most just found adding exactly 2qt at fill up (assuming you drain it at both places...sound familiar?) was the correct amount.
i'm sure a proper fill cc will come about with this bike too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Nice write up HF.

Disclaimer: Use the following information at your own risk, it should be right, but you never know.

The drain plug torque is 40nm. It's not in the massive torque table at the end, it's in the engine torque picture show, page F4.12. Lower left hand corner. To sanity check, I cross checked the F650 oil change for dummies page, it says 40nm too. http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/GS_Oil_Change_FAQ.htm

The filter cover bolts are 10nm.

The oil level check is the most complicated I've ever seen. The thing needs a sight glass! By the book instructions are:

1) start bike and run until cooling fan starts, then 3 minutes more, then stop bike.
2) remove dipstick, clean
2a) Bike should be level, as in vertical, not on side stand, and level front to back
3) place dispstick in hole, do not screw in
4) check for level between min and max

There is, according the the manual, a .25liter difference between min and max.

I found about an 8 oz difference between on the side stand vs. vertical. (on my strada, with the preload up from stock, it leans more than your Terra appears to.)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #95
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Nice. I'd be inclined to mill a couple of slots in the sides are rear to make it easy to attach stuff with straps.
Mill........in my dreams. More like scratch, claw, & gouge over here.

I will definitely be adding some strapping points. Its still a work in progress. I got tired and went to bed (very late) after the cleaning battle. Man, he ain't lying, my garage turned black! Fine black plastic dust and shavings friggin everywhere. The stuff seems to be static-charged to cling to anything (including my eyeballs).

HF
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #96
ryguy83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
looks great,very sleek, and good looking.looks like a natural fit,good stuff.

-ry
ryguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #97
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,478
38C in Canberra today.

I did a bit of stop start.

My coolant reservoir was slightly above the full mark.

After giving her a bit of stick I pull up to works bat cave boom gate to swipe card to get in. My Terra then began to urinate a 4 second stream of green from the hole in the overflow / catch bottle lid / urethra all over my forks / front guard.

Then it stopped. Dirty little girl. Ran fine and no more leaky after that. I gave her a bit of a clean. I ran mid temp on gauge all the way home.

I would say that a little on the less side of coolant measuement is better for high temps - avoid the squirt.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 02:00 AM
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #98
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Good stuff here guys. Thanks keep it coming. On to the stupid stuff I was checking over the newness, things like hose and wire routing. I noticed below the canistor there is a drain hose attached that runs down the front. Right before the hose there is an outlet that sticks up, like a tee that has no hose attached. Just open, probably doesn't matter but was wondering if anyone see's this. Has anyone looked at removing or doing a canistorectomy to all that stuff? Just to clean things up if anything.

I saw that the wiring harness down by horn area is pulled extremely tight to the point the wires to the horn are pulled at a very tight 90deg to the connector. Almost the same with the temp sensor. That looks like a potential problem down the road. The crank breather hose from front right side up to airbox was routed tightly between engine and the wire harness which was pushing on the wiring. I rerouted it to the outside for now where some pictures show it hanging out in front.

Also see on mine that the oil drain fitting hose on the other side appears to have plenty of slack to avoid the clamps rubbing on the coolant resorvoir like HF saw.

I like the idea of the clear sheet on the plastic. My tank bag straps were already scuffing the plastic!

I didn't like that metal license plate bracket either.

Sorry for no pictures, I am suppose to be working....
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #99
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Real nice HF---just hope the "Cobbled Up Police" don't get you !!!!
They are nosing around everywhere.

BigDog

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #100
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Yes indeed, that there is a real Card Table I'm working over. I feel the need to point this out to the younger inmates that may be puzzled by this strange portable working surface. Card Tables were used all the time by old folks like me (back in the day) to play real games on. Stuff like Crazy 8's, Gin Rummy, Bridge, Backgammon, Checkers, & Yahtzee. Aaahh…the Golden Age of gaming, when every household had a card table. Long before the Machine's arrived on the scene and sucked the creative freedom out of all future generations cleverly enslaving them under the spell of electronic video games. But, I digress...
I'm old enough that this is really funny
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #101
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
I noticed below the canistor there is a drain hose attached that runs down the front. Right before the hose there is an outlet that sticks up, like a tee that has no hose attached. Just open, probably doesn't matter but was wondering if anyone see's this.
I noticed this when I first got mine, it's the same way. Checked Bill's demo when I was there, it too has the opening. So three bikes, two from first batch, one from second batch, are that way. Be interesting to see if anyone has something different.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #102
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

Hey BD. I'll have a COBDR map for ya if you're still interested and not mad at me.
OK I'm over it--------were still buds
You had one to many beers----and I hadn't had my coffee yet---and flew off the handle.

I'll be all over that route as soon as the snow gets off the passes.

Meanwhile me and the Dingweeds are off to Baja in about a week.
Not be on the Terra tho

Thanks !!!

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 04:34 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #103
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,478
I had trouble finding acceptable contact or film to protect the paint. What I did find was clear "All weather tape" It is reasonably thick and with todays high temps, quite malliable.

Please note use of portable working surface

Yep, a few bubbles. Oh well, it is an all roads bike.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #104
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Ooooooo.....color coordinated portable workbench Very snazzy, indeed!

What's with all the concern over knee rubbing? Everybody just stop squeezing the tank with your knees. It ain't bull riding, after all. Well, maybe it is for some...

Suit yourself though, I ain't putting no contact tape on my plastic.

HF
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #105
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

How Much Engine Oil do I pour in the thingy?

UPDATE to my Oil Change.....I poured in too much. And since, figured it out. Sort of.

Here's the deal:

For a complete oil & filter change, pour in 2,000 cc of new oil (which is equal to 2.0 Liter).

It might not register on your dipstick (cold). Don't panic. Start the bike and let it run. Better yet, ride it around a bit until is completely up to normal operating temperature (that would mean when the radiator fan is spinning....for all you Yankees).

THEN measure your oil level. Turn the bike off and give it a few minutes for the oil level to settle. I've discovered its a lot easier to use the dipstick and level the bike for accurate measurement while sitting on it. Surprisingly, I don't have any more trouble trying to align the dipstick cap threads when I do this while sitting on the bike. I've had trouble aligning the plastic threads while standing to the side. Interesting discovery, I thought. Or, maybe its just weird me.

When the oil is hot, it expands and the level rises considerably on the dipstick. The frame ID must be small around the dipstick area, but I'm not sure. All I know is my oil level goes from barely touching the dipstick to nearly Max level, just from the oil temperature increase.

SO....DON'T fill your engine with cold oil up to a level "between the lines" on the dipstick all willy nilly like I did (initially).

Follow the suggested volume from the Service Manual, which happens to mention 2.0 Liter (2,000 ml = 2,000 cc).

I know....I know....the Manual said. But whoever reads manuals? Just sayin it didn't make sense when I couldn't see any oil on my dipstick after adding 2,000 cc. But now I know. And you do too. I'll go back to my original Oil Change post to add an update notice there, as well.

HF

p.s. ****Edit***1/6/13 Thank you for removing your non-TR650 related personal post, Eakins. Just trying to keep things on point here. Use the General Discussion Thread for other matters.

BigDog is exempt!

HighFive screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 05:50 AM