Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #211
Phrog
Terra Australis

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Thank you very much Australia is on the list of places I'm going to ride - maybe next January.................
January is the middle of summer here, & extreme weather conditions up North. (roads are cut & cyclones are not uncommon)
Try any other season, even winter around here is nothing compared to your winters.
If you tell Australian ADVriders your coming before hand with an itinerary you'll be surprised how many may offer accommodation or will ride along with you.

Ride safe sweety.

Glenn.

Poverty is the mother of invention.
Phrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #212
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Rats, the "electronic devices" was much more entertaining when it was an innuendo.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #213
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Nice ride report!

I made the detour to the Sunset Crater and Wupatki ruins back in 81 while on a company business trip, and remember that well. The sign telling the audience that the lava filled the valley to a depth of several hundred feet made a distinct impression. The watchtower at the GC and the VIEWS were awesome!

That part of the country is one which I need to visit again.

Steve
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #214
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Wow - I just spent the morning reading this great RR. Cowgirl, you have a great style and I love the way you roll. You took a blind date and turned into an epic adventure! You saw a lot of the continent too. I can't believe you even stumbled onto those ruins outside of Flag. I just bumped into them last September after riding the CDR. I spotted the sign just past dawn and rode in for a peek. Not a soul around.

So did you get to Toroweep? I read a RR in 2004 that described the route, plus a few other dirt paths through the area. In 2005 I rode them on a trip home to Boston from Monterey.

Did you get that 250 dual sport? I finally got one because my twin is too heavy to pick up when I'm solo exploring the west. The 250 is the way to go if you're going to do that stuff. Not bad on the interstates either.

Thanks for posting this RR. Very entertaining. -P
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #215
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3b3 View Post
Nice ride report!

I made the detour to the Sunset Crater and Wupatki ruins back in 81 while on a company business trip, and remember that well. The sign telling the audience that the lava filled the valley to a depth of several hundred feet made a distinct impression. The watchtower at the GC and the VIEWS were awesome!

That part of the country is one which I need to visit again.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Wow - I just spent the morning reading this great RR. Cowgirl, you have a great style and I love the way you roll. You took a blind date and turned into an epic adventure! You saw a lot of the continent too. I can't believe you even stumbled onto those ruins outside of Flag. I just bumped into them last September after riding the CDR. I spotted the sign just past dawn and rode in for a peek. Not a soul around.

So did you get to Toroweep? I read a RR in 2004 that described the route, plus a few other dirt paths through the area. In 2005 I rode them on a trip home to Boston from Monterey.

Did you get that 250 dual sport? I finally got one because my twin is too heavy to pick up when I'm solo exploring the west. The 250 is the way to go if you're going to do that stuff. Not bad on the interstates either.

Thanks for posting this RR. Very entertaining. -P
Thank you very much guys. I enjoyed writing this report - it was a lot of fun. This trip itself was amazing and now I'm totally addicted!

I haven't made it to Toroweap yet - I'm planning on heading down to Moab and Toroweap in September. I love that country and I want to spend a lot more time there.

I did get the 250 - a WR250X and it's a ton of fun! I haven't put a lot of miles on it yet but the dirt tires are ordered and should be in next week. I'm going to the Noob Rally at Death Valley at the end of March so it'll get a work out there!

A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #216
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Bump for this great RR!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #217
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,925
Quote:
I haven't made it to Toroweap yet - I'm planning on heading down to Moab and Toroweap in September. I love that country and I want to spend a lot more time there.
Hey Cowgirl!

I may see you there! Depending upon the cost of gas and the state of household finances I may head to Utah instead of making the jaunt all the way to WetFest this year. Still undecided at this point, but leaning toward Utah. Of course, by "Utah" I mean everything from the North Rim up into the San Raphael Swell..

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #218
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Thanks for the bump guys

Plans for this fall have changed - WetFest is out. The BCBTR that has been held in June has been cancelled and has been replaced by the BC Big Adventure ride on the same weekend as WetFest so I'm going to stay in BC for that. It looks like my trip to Moab has been replaced by a trip to Iceland! Plans are still in flux so we'll see!
A Cougar goes racing
Old 05-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #219
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Wonderful!

You go Cowgirl! Great RR and pics. Love your orange Wee... it would look great parked next to my electric blue '06.

Your shots of Zion opened my heart to another DS trip there sometime soon. The 4 corners is my backyard (so to speak) but it's been years since I've rode and camped and now I know it's overdue.

The trials and tribulations you described on your dirt-baptism reminded me of my first times on a DS so many (many) years ago. I also lost traction on the rear going up hill as I lost momentum and took a bad spinout-spill after downshifting.

Recently (a year ago now?) I benefited from a intro dirt riding class on a big GS. Surprisingly, you can get good traction on dirt using 90/10 "Trailwing" style tires by airing them down to 19lbs.

I always carry a portable electric air-pump that connects to the battery if I plan to head into the bush. Good for flat fixing or hobbling to civilization if you don't want to take the wheel off. But even more than that, I now air down my tires before hitting the loose stuff. It really works wonders with increased traction on hills and (as the instructors at Rawhyde said) you'll really impress the dirt-bike guys with the super-knobbies at the top when they see your tires. After getting back on pavement, I air back up without a fuss.

Sure beats wearing out knobbies every 1500 miles riding on the slab, especially if there isn't going to be mud involved.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #220
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~ View Post
You go Cowgirl! Great RR and pics. Love your orange Wee... it would look great parked next to my electric blue '06.

Your shots of Zion opened my heart to another DS trip there sometime soon. The 4 corners is my backyard (so to speak) but it's been years since I've rode and camped and now I know it's overdue.

The trials and tribulations you described on your dirt-baptism reminded me of my first times on a DS so many (many) years ago. I also lost traction on the rear going up hill as I lost momentum and took a bad spinout-spill after downshifting.

Recently (a year ago now?) I benefited from a intro dirt riding class on a big GS. Surprisingly, you can get good traction on dirt using 90/10 "Trailwing" style tires by airing them down to 19lbs.

I always carry a portable electric air-pump that connects to the battery if I plan to head into the bush. Good for flat fixing or hobbling to civilization if you don't want to take the wheel off. But even more than that, I now air down my tires before hitting the loose stuff. It really works wonders with increased traction on hills and (as the instructors at Rawhyde said) you'll really impress the dirt-bike guys with the super-knobbies at the top when they see your tires. After getting back on pavement, I air back up without a fuss.

Sure beats wearing out knobbies every 1500 miles riding on the slab, especially if there isn't going to be mud involved.
Thanks Ed! Maybe next time I'm down south we'll have to test your colour match theory

Last June I did take a one day big adventure bike dirt class and I did find it extremely helpful. I've also put Heidenau K60s on the Wee which have made a big difference. Got the pump too
I went back to Death Valley at the end of March, this time with the WR250 and I have to tell you, I'm embarrassed and at the same time pretty stoked by how easy I found Titus Canyon this time
I did manage to get myself in over my head again on another trail though. I'll be posting that RR soon and hopefully you'll find it just as amusing
A Cougar goes racing
Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #221
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,345
Quote:
Thanks Ed! Maybe next time I'm down south we'll have to test your colour match theory

Last June I did take a one day big adventure bike dirt class and I did find it extremely helpful. I've also put Heidenau K60s on the Wee which have made a big difference. Got the pump too
I went back to Death Valley at the end of March, this time with the WR250 and I have to tell you, I'm embarrassed and at the same time pretty stoked by how easy I found Titus Canyon this time
I did manage to get myself in over my head again on another trail though. I'll be posting that RR soon and hopefully you'll find it just as amusing

how are the k60s on the asphalt? i'm thinking about a new back tire

oh and keep the rr coming

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #222
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
how are the k60s on the asphalt? i'm thinking about a new back tire

oh and keep the rr coming
I like them although they have a loud whine at multiples of 45kph. I'm told if you keep them at 32 or 33 psi on pavement that whine is hardly noticeable. I have them pumped up right now but I have 16,000km on them so I don't notice the noise anyway. I still scrape the pegs regularly so they handle pretty well In 3 weeks I'll be putting on a new set before I go north - I think they're the best tire for the kind of riding I do.
A Cougar goes racing
Old 06-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #223
LAZ 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Howlin Heidis ...

Hey Cowgirl,
LAZ here, living on Gabriola for the near future.
I just put a new set of Heidis on my Vstrom 1000, which usually is loaded with LOTS of weight.
Only got about 200 Kms on them so far, mostly on the hiway.

TAYLOR, at the BMS shop said the BMW guys were getting better performance on the hiway with the Heidi pressure up closer to 40 PSI. I am running MORE PRESSURE in the Heidis on the VEE than I did on my Wee, and I noticed the Heidi howl is much more subdued. But I didn't like the way they felt on HOT/DRY tar snakes, or on loose gravel on the ashphalt. Possibly just the mould release wax wearing off, but I may drop down a few PSI to see what happens.

I'd rather have more traction, even if it means more howl.
[;{)
LAZ 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #224
mtn-bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Cowgirl - That was an awsome RR!! Those places are a long way from New Hampshire and I may never see them in real time but it's almost like I was there....

IIf anyone in the Northeast has a KLR with bags for sale I might be able to help them accomplish their goal.....and confirm my addiction.
mtn-bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #225
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Looking like this will be a fun one! and considering your destination is in my back yard im going to have to finish this
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote