User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
longtallsally OP
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
Wilbers, Ohlins, or now Touratech?

I've been lamenting the shocks in my '07 GSA for a long time and although not blown, definitely tired.

I have some serious action on someone buying my track bike, so I can now be serious. I searched a good bit here and found good info (that I more or less knew) on Wilbers and Ohlins, but nothing on the new TT stuff.

When we lived in Germany, I was invited to come to the Wilbers factory and have a set made for the bike. I didn't want to spend the money and frankly lost all interest in riding there, so I never got around to it. Now that we are back, I'd have Dan Kyle (Kyle Racing) build a set of Ohlins for me as he is a god (built the forks for my track bike).

However, I recently found these: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...MW-Motorcycles on expedition portal of all places.

Anyway, I wouldn't be looking at the crazy high end one in the rear, but the middle of the road one. Coupled with the front shock, it would actually (and kinda amazingly) be cheaper than a set of Ohlins to be built.

I'm 6'7" 230lbs and do beat the bike pretty good. I'm not as concerned with the valving as I am the spring (thus why I don't think I need high and low speed adjustments to the damping rate).

Any thoughts?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
drdfblackm
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 814
What about Elka????

http://www.elkasuspension.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,732
Just saw a similar query about TT shocks within the last few days here, and I thought someone responded that they were rebranded HyperPros.

Since Elkas were mentioned, I'm very happy with mine but then I've always liked every aftermarket brand shock I've owned.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
longtallsally OP
Yeah I'm a chick

Not a bad choice and I forgot about them.

I just called Dan and spoke for a bit and he had a really good sales pitch in that how often do you see other brands in racing and like? Name someone in any form of motorsports that has not heard of Ohlins? I also like the idea of supporting a local guy who I personally trust in his skills (not to mention he was AMA tech of the year for a couple years back in the day).

He also mentioned that he thought he read that the internals of the TT shocks were done by WP. Another good name, but the tech that TT is using is something he said was last updated by Ohlins in '05, so basically an old design.

Right now I'm back to leaning toward Ohlins as they will raise the bike up a touch as well, which is something I want.

Price wise, everyone is within a couple hundred dollars of each other...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Yacugar.

Ted Porter at the Beemershop sells them. Best of both worlds, Steel bodies (these bikes are heavy, I know some tout Al bodies are better but I've worked in the racing industry and unless you like rebuilding shocks, steel is a better option), AL accessories, custom built to your specs. Plus a 5 year warantee..

There is no way Touratech can claim dampening works correctly right out of the box, that has to be tuned for rider weight, style etc.

Frankly, anything I've seen with the Touratech name on it seems to be WAAAAY overpriced for what you are getting. I spec'ed my yacugars almost like their extremes and my price was 35% less...

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/

jachard screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 02:31 PM Reason: Added content
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
longtallsally OP
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
Yacugar.

Ted Porter at the Beemershop sells them. Best of both worlds, Steel bodies (these bikes are heavy, AL accessories, custom built to your specs.

THere is no way Touratech can claim dampening works correctly right out of the box, that has to be tuned for rider weight, style etc.

Frankly, anything I've seen with the Touratech name on it seems to be WAAAAY overpriced for what you are getting. I spec'ed my yacugars almost like their extremes and my price was 35% less...
Well said.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Plus, I bet you can go right to Tractive direct and order from them. They look a little similar to Yacugar in the sense that they spun off from WP when they moved....

Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
longtallsally OP
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
Plus, I bet you can go right to Tractive direct and order from them. They look a little similar to Yacugar in the sense that they spun off from WP when they moved....
My only concern is support and it's why I didn't completely jump on Wilbers initially. Ohlins dealers are all over the place and can get serviced fairly easily anywhere in the country.

Also, my initial setup will be from an expert who I personally trust.

Not arguing, but I'd never even heard of that company previously.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Since you are in the decision stage, definitely give Ted a call. He is a dealer for a bunch of different brands. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Good luck and let us know how you make out, properly set up shocks transform a bike!

Cheers, James

Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 385
I had Racetech rebuild my rear shock at 56k miles...did a good job and shock is better than new ($162.00)

Just a less expensive alternative,

Joe
Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
longtallsally OP
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStancampiano View Post
I had Racetech rebuild my rear shock at 56k miles...did a good job and shock is better than new ($162.00)

Just a less expensive alternative,

Joe
Exceptional input! However, one of my real problems is that the spring itself is not enough for me and how I load and ride the bike. Do you think they can swap in a higher rate spring? If that is possible, I might get off real cheap...
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
aGremlin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
I think all the main players in aftermarket have a good product.

For me, support was also crucial as I do a lot of km, so the shocks will need servicing etc. Ohlins has a very good dealer 400km from me, none of the others have such excellent support, so I went for Ohlins...

Loving it
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
(Big fan of Kyle Racing as well...love his know-how)
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Dan Kyle set me up on my M900. Ohlins springs in the front and Ohlins rear. Works great.

Ted Porter set me up with Yacugar on the GS. Built to spec for sport touring taking into account riders (me and my girl) and luggage. Works great. (BTW Yacugar is Hyperpro has their name on some parts even).

Guess my point is different stuff for different bikes.

I NEVER ride the M900 2-up. Took the rear pegs off. Luggage? Are you kidding me? It sees sunny days only and I act like a hooligan on it. It's a miracle I have a clean record . So the Ohlins are what I want there. Street legal track bike. Sort of. Got a plate and lights anyways......

The GS is the everyday and travel bike. It sees trips through Yosemite, Nevada, Oregon, etc, etc.. With luggage and passenger. But not always. Sometimes the little jaunt from Santa Cruz to San Francisco via the backroads just solo. Certainly it's the wet weather bike. For this application Ohlins just didn't fit the bill. Mostly because of their more frequent rebuild interval, but also because the Ohlins folks (Dan Kyle) admitted that basically it would be a compromise for me. So it came down to Yacugar or Wilburs. After a long conversation with Ted on the subject I went with Yacugar. They are a great shock and fit the bill perfectly.

Any one of these products is going to cost a similar amount of money. I suggest you consider first what the application is then select the product that specializes in it.
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
longtallsally OP
Yeah I'm a chick

That is great input and certainly food for thought.

Someone is going to look at the track bike in the morning, so I may be able to get the order ready to rock VERY soon.

You sold me on at least looking at the yacugar stuff, so we'll see...