Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #31
Baiazid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Tested with extra weight on the back: my wife (56Kg).

I could go 120kmph with no trouble this time! Must be suspension + tires combo
Baiazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #32
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
F800GS unstable at higher speeds... cannot figure out the problem... increase life insurance on wife, then put her on the back to test it out
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
How did it ride 2 up on the gs never done that before yet? So has anyone dialed in the suspension what are. u setting the rear at
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #34
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Sorry what settings are you taking on the stock rear shock
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #35
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
Tested with extra weight on the back: my wife (56Kg).

I could go 120kmph with no trouble this time! Must be suspension + tires combo
Mhh..... that means more dynamic sag on the rear creates less wobbles. Are u using original rear shock/spring or did u change it?

Regards Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
Baiazid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Mhh..... that means more dynamic sag on the rear creates less wobbles. Are u using original rear shock/spring or did u change it?

Regards Steve
Hi,

all is original
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #37
Baiazid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F800ekelley View Post
Sorry what settings are you taking on the stock rear shock
I am a n00b in suspension settings. Only worked on big knob to preload when I add extra weight
Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #38
TFB43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Check the torque on the triple clamps

If your triple clamps are not torqued it can cause the bike to be unstable. I had this issue and after the bolts were torqued down it went away.
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #39
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
If the triple clamps are loose, yeah the bike is unstable... are you talking about your steering head? handlebar mount or where your triple clamps hold your forks. Many bolts on these, all of which are integral.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #40
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Hi,

all is original
Mh... I am baffled. I am sure it comes from the rear but dunno why......
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #41
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
There have been a few postings that deal with this issue. ITSATDM found that lowering the front end cured it. As did I.

After a complete front end change, to a front that is about 40mm taller, I found that having more, or less ride height in the front seems to stop the instability. The standard ride height in the front seems to be particularly susceptible to ride height changes in the rear.

That's why putting your wife on the back fixed it. It's effectively made the steering angle much lazier than standard. Make the steering angle a bit quicker than standard by dropping the front end and you'll fix it too.

For 2 up fully loaded travel I went to a Ohlins rear, revalved and resprung with a 23kg/mm spring - the heaviest they make.

Solo I have no preload on it and I get about 60mm rider sag. With full preload and wife and gear I get 60mm. No instability.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #42
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
Lots of advice here...some good but pretty far out

If the bike was ok before you put the K60s on....it is HIGHLY probable that it is the tires or the mounting process.

Let's face it semi knobby tires are NOT designed for high speed...as best they are just OK. If you have checked the balance, check to see if the wheel is true(side to side and around) when it rotates, is the tire true when it rotates. do you have proper tire pressure.
PS also check your rear wheel and tire for true as well. tire inflation pressure.

If these are all ok....then have fun exploring some more of the far out recommendations here
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #43
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
I am a n00b in suspension settings. Only worked on big knob to preload when I add extra weight

How did you decide where to put it?

This setting (setting rider sag) does affect the steering geometry.

Think of the bike pivoting on the front wheel, if you raise or lower the rear of the bike (by adjusting your preload) you are changing the angle of the forks. If you get things at a bad spot it will be unstable.

The owners manual has a procedure for setting your preload.

I found this out when I rode a KLR, they are severely undersprung for a 200lb person + camping gear. The headshake scared the crap out of me.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #44
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post

If the bike was ok before you put the K60s on....it is HIGHLY probable that it is the tires or the mounting process.

Let's face it semi knobby tires are NOT designed for high speed...as best they are just OK. If you have checked the balance, check to see if the wheel is true(side to side and around) when it rotates, is the tire true when it rotates. do you have proper tire pressure.
PS also check your rear wheel and tire for true as well. tire inflation pressure.

If these are all ok....then have fun exploring some more of the far out recommendations here
Having used them, I'd say.....yeah...no.

Likely the tyres have exacerbated a problem that was already there but not so noticeable.

Tyre profile also plays a part here. In combination with rake and trail the wrong profile can make things go to shit very quickly.

I just fitted a Pirelli Rallye front....it's shit on road. I mean, it works ok, but the profile is all wrong. Handles so much worse than it has with just about every other brand of tyre you can buy.

Some of this is the tyre type, some the tyre profile, and some is a combination of the rake/trail and the weight bias.

It understeers like a mutherfucker. On tar, on dirt. Very disconcerting. Once you get used to it, very predictable. But it's hard to get used to skating the front end through a gravel corner at 100kph with wifey on the back. But you can do it.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
Baiazid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post

Yes, before these tires all was perfect.

Cannot say it does bother me too much since I don't travel often with 120kmph. Usually I do 100kmph. But it is the idea that is something wrong ....