User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #61
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,445
Something cool about that big single.
Plus, you can probably fix anything that breaks with plumber's tape and bailing wire.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #62
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Something cool about that big single.
Plus, you can probably fix anything that breaks with plumber's tape and bailing wire.
+1 on both counts. This is a bike that I think would be a joy to wrench on myself.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #63
oldgringo
Jacked it all

Oddometer: 143
I got a chance to see the new Royal Enfiled Cafe Racers at the Ace Cafe, the quality looks good.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #64
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Beautiful bike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
I got a chance to see the new Royal Enfiled Cafe Racers at the Ace Cafe, the quality looks good.

Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #65
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
The bike is indeed gorgeous, (as are several others in the RE line.) The limited HP doesn't bother me at all. If it can achieve 75 MPH on a highway to get to the good roads where I can putter at 40-50, then I'm content. Oddly, I even have a dealer within 3 mi. of my house ('tho I suspect his parts inventory consists of a phone number to Mumbai). I don't even expect 21st century reliability. I do expect reliability at least equal to my '72 CL350 & I am not convinced that RE have quite achieved that watermark. I hate to sound snarky, but like many here, I need to commute (at least in summer) & take weekend rides, but I also take at least a few week long tours every summer. This involves at least one or 1.5 days of highway droning to get to the destination, then a week of exploring an area, then the same 8 hour days on the slab to get home. I'm not convinced this machine can sustain 8 hours of 60 - 70 MPH droning without breaking down in ways that can't be fixed with duct tape & baling wire.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #66
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
What a lovely looking bike! Reminds me of the Honda XBR500 I owned back in the late eighties, early nineties. I bought that bike mainly because I loved the look of it, yes I'm shallow.

The XBR was quoted as putting out 33.2kw@ 7000 and 43nm@ 6000,weight was 157kg dry and had a 19l tank. She would indicate 170kph with me flat on the tank, it can be a lot of fun wringing the neck on a modestly powered bike, especially when they handle okay.

I rode the XBR everywhere at 120kph, the only trouble I had in 40,000 k's or so of ownership was a noisy cam chain which was replaced at I think 32,000k's. She had a lovely sound to her and plenty of character. I still wish I could have afforded to keep her when I traded up to something bigger I could load up and tour more comfortably on (CB750).

I really look forward to the chance to check out this new cafe racer from Royal Enfield, or Rolling Oilfield as they were known as back in the day.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #67
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 363
Nice
That's the kind of bike I could offer my son . He just made 18, now he is allowed to drive bikes bigger than 125 cc.
We ( me and my son ) love the way the bike looks, not much power ( I like that he needs to get more experience ) and it is going to fit with my other ride W800

Flydream screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 02:19 PM
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #68
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydream View Post
Nice
That's the kind of bike I could offer my son . He just made 18, now he is allowed to drive bikes bigger than 125 cc.
We ( me and my son ) love the way the bike looks, not much power ( I like that he needs to get more experience ) and it is going to fit with my other ride W800
Sounds like a great combo.

The Enfield just got a very good review from MCN (UK), against their expectation.

Also, they hint that there are more models to come for the 535cc engine, and a bigger push from Enfield for market-share outside India.

They sell 200,000 bikes a year.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #69
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydream View Post
Nice
The more I look at that W800, the more I like it. Very nice.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote