User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #1336
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
so I should rest my f5 finger till the am.....and I have to work tomorrow....
As this is my first time trying to follow Dakar, How is the Android App?
And of course I'll try to keep my f5 skills going during breaks in the driving
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #1337
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
so I should rest my f5 finger till the am.....and I have to work tomorrow....
As this is my first time trying to follow Dakar, How is the Android App?
And of course I'll try to keep my f5 skills going during breaks in the driving
No idea how the app is but you should try and follow it, because by the time you get home you will likely have a thread of 500 posts to read.

SS1 is the warm up.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #1338
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
No idea how the app is but you should try and follow it, because by the time you get home you will likely have a thread of 500 posts to read.

SS1 is the warm up.
Well by the time I get home the rally will be done..truck driving fool with a laptop and internet access on the road, Hard to read it while driving :) but I can take as many breaks as I want to and try and keep up.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45833691/ns/sports/

Little article on NBC Sports about the cars mostly
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #1339
johnBOYhenson
rallye intern

Oddometer: 205
whoaa

shit guys, slow down! it just took me 2 hrs to catch up. this isn't even the f5irehose!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #1340
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

From the wilddog.za.net thread

South African fast guys Riaan van Niekerk #40 and Darryl Curtis #37 with someone we all know well just yesterday.

---------------------

Cyril Despres: "The harder it is, the happier I am"Interview by Bertrand Métayer | Posted on 01/04/2013, 09:28 (compliments of Google translate)

San Rafael (Argentina) on January 2, 2012. French rider Cyril Despres, winner last year, is the favorite of Dakar, which starts tomorrow in Lima (Peru)

Cyril Despres has produced a faultless performance in 2012 with three wins in three rallies in which he was engaged. Without his best opponent Marc Coma, who withdrew because of a shoulder injury, the Frenchman is the favorite for Dakar, which starts tomorrow in Lima, Peru. The defending champion, who admits to "never have felt so good before leaving", is aiming for a fifth title to his KTM.

The package of Marc Coma means he is the Dakar you promised?
No. For him, the Dakar is played on a camel grass, as we crossed thousands. When I said that now I'm all alone, it makes me smile a little. Of camel grass, rocks, climbs and descents, we'll have tons. A beautiful Dakar Dakar is also a fight with on the track and great opponents. There are others, but Marc, with three wins, it is not only a teammate but "the" greatest rival.

If successful, you could match Cyril Neveu and get closer to six titles motorcycle Peterhansel. It motivates you?
The records do not mean anything to me. I have great respect for Cyril Neveu and Stéphane Peterhansel, but I do not obsess beyond. I had so little chance of one day becoming a motorcycle rider, when I look back, I think it's just happiness. But I still want to prove, to show that I'm fast. There is not the adventure and scenery. This is the competition that motivates me. I always want to win the race ahead.

Do you fear the journey particularly difficult this year?
The harder it is, the happier I am. When we left the Atlantic coast of Argentina, we knew there were a few thousand miles fast, not very physical and with little navigation. Here, for the first time in several years, beginning in the sand dunes. That was the best part of the rally in 2012, a fantastic discovery. I do not expect to see landscapes as varied, wild and deserted. This is great, but not easy. We will live in the bath.

There may be the case soon?
Motorcycle, the level in the sand is louder, so it never does much damage. And I do not think the level is very difficult navigation. But we will go - 5 oC home to more than 30 ° C. We will find the sand after leaving the snow. The change will be quite brutal. In Lima, the atmosphere is more flip flops and sunglasses. For organizations, it will be very difficult. This may be a departure rally more complicated.

Do you feel that the Dakar growing away from its original values ​​for adventure?
We can say that the Dakar is changing, but it was still 9000 km to go. It was just a handlebar, helmet on head. It always freezes ass, then bursts of hot food and sand. When you find yourself at 5 am at 4000 meters altitude, it is 0 ° C, freeze the cables that you took a tablet of diuretic for not having a headache and you t 'stop every twenty minutes to urinate, you say that the values ​​of Dakar have perhaps not so much changed that.

---------------------

From Simon Pavey:
Dakar 2013 Final Pre Race Release

As the final preparation for the 2013 Dakar comes to a head, the team headed south to make a final test in the sand and put together the final touches to the team. From there, the race bikes and assistance headed through scrutineering untroubled.
With Team Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna’s second rider, Don Hatton, only joining up with the team for the first time in Lima, it was a great opportunity for him to bed in with the team and the bike and get the bike properly set up.

Don Hatton – “ I couldn’t believe how great the bike was. I’ve done most of the major rally raids over the last seven years, on every type of bike, good, bad, ugly and this Husqvarna is really great. I struggled with the suspension settings at first, the front was tucking in the sand a lot, but we dialled a bit more sag in and the difference was huge. Everything about the bike is fantastic, the level of detail the team have gone too, the organisation and the atmosphere is awesome. I feel like a factory rider!”

Simon heads into his ninth Dakar start, for the first time in a team built around himself and is more excited about the Dakar than ever before.
Simon Pavey – “The whole team is fantastic, I couldn’t be happier. We’ve built this team from the ground up, everything is chosen by us. The whole bike is incredible, it’s so good to ride. It overshadows everything that we’ve ridden before, we’re so organised and it’s superb to see everything come together after scrutineering. Paul, Evan, Llel and Linley have done a great job, everything looks great, the guys have thought of everything and it’s great to be in a team with a common goal, we have no ego’s.
It was superb to get the final shakedown done, to get one last ride in and set the bike up for the sand properly. We just don’t have sand that soft in the UK, so our setting was close, but not perfect. The Ohlins is so good as well, it fills us both with so much confidence.”

The team start the first stage of the 2013 Dakar tomorrow morning, where they have a 250km ride out of Lima, heading south before taking part in the first special stage, just 13km.

-------------------------

I wonder who this might belong to?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #1341
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Kevin Muggleton and Lyndon at the briefing

https://www.facebook.com/#!/Dakar.Redverz/photos_stream
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #1342
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,378
Shit - 6 hours sleep and 6 pages, just off to play golf, god (or JC ) only knows what it will be like when I get back?
Interesting prologue later though, still don't know it it's open book or segregated elite- certainly going to put the cat amongst the pigeons though, as we say up north.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #1343
johnBOYhenson
rallye intern

Oddometer: 205
who's the tallest rider, who's the shortest?

who's the youngest, who's the oldest?

thanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #1344
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Morning Sylvia

Ric: We wont get much new news now, except from maybe the Dakar site, because everyone will be getting back to thier hotels to do their road books and get an early night.
G'Day Neil,
I'm up the coast chilling.

Not long now.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #1345
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Not long at all...

Pyndon just got back from the riders' briefing, and I just got off the phone with him.

We catch up with Lyndon for an interview just after he returns from the riders' briefing on the eve of the race, and get some insight into what's on his mind. Sounds like his head is in the right place! Get some rest tongiht, Lyndon, and enjoy the journey tomorrow!

Photo credit: Kevin Muggleton to Dakar FB

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D02.mp3

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #1346
dragonrcr
Adrenal Gland Eater

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Brutal, simply brutal F5pre-event pace!

In meetings all day, and I'm hopelessly behind. Like Jurassic I'm away from the big computers this weekend and will have to survive through TapaTalk and Dakar Android app until Sunday afternoon.
Is it worth paying for the TapaTalk app to assist the Android app? I have the android app and it seems decently functional, im just curious how much the TapaTalk improves the functionality, and if its worth the $3 price?
Mesquite Area Ride
2008 Honda Shadow 750- 2000 Honda XR650L SOLD-2004 Yamaha WR450F
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #1347
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrcr View Post
Is it worth paying for the TapaTalk app to assist the Android app? I have the android app and it seems decently functional, im just curious how much the TapaTalk improves the functionality, and if its worth the $3 price?
tapatalk is to access ADV when you're away from the compu.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #1348
dragonrcr
Adrenal Gland Eater

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
tapatalk is to access ADV when you're away from the compu.
Well i have the actual ADV app itself, tapatalk is just a forum assistance app, im just curious if its worth having as well as the actual ADV app, since tapatalk you have to actually pay for?
Mesquite Area Ride
2008 Honda Shadow 750- 2000 Honda XR650L SOLD-2004 Yamaha WR450F

dragonrcr screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 08:17 PM Reason: Clarification
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #1349
jfotopo
KTM 990 Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Kurt doing a little testing!!

On the Red Bull motorsports site there is a story about Factory KTM testing their bikes with riders before the rally begins.

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...ed-on-the-dune

The most interesting part is that the article states that despite Marc Coma not being be able to battle Depres this year, Coma has been coaching Kurt Caselli in order to get him ready for the rally. It reads:

Cyril will not have the chance to continue his rivalry with Marc Coma at the upcoming Dakar because his KTM team-mate has been forced to pull out due to injury. However, that has not stopped Marc from making the trip to Peru where he is using his Dakar know-how to mentor his replacement.

“I have been trying to transmit my experience to Kurt Caselli because everything is new for him. The races he has been doing are completely different from this but to be honest every type is racing is different when compared to the Dakar.”

Could it be that Coma wants to do whatever he can not only to help Caselli, but also to increase the pressure on Depres?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #1350
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrcr View Post
Well i have the actual ADV app itself, tapatalk is just a forum assistance app, im just curious if its worth having as well as the actual ADV app, since tapatalk you have to actually pay for?
Yes Tapatalk is well worth the coupla bucks on my Android phone. I have shown other local folks how much easier it is to browse ADVrider with it vs in a phone browser, which is slow and clunky and you can't see as much. They switched over and really like it. TapaTalk makes it much easier and faster to view and reply and is "sized" for smartphones.

What is the "actual ADV app"?

The Dakar app is for Dakar.com
Closed Thread