User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Disney for adults?

In hopes of maybe catching a lull in the busy season, I'm thinking about taking a drive to Disney next week with the girlfriend. Haven't been there in more than 20 years.

What's a good plan of attack for two adults and no kids? Which parts are worth seeing/visiting? Which worth skipping (Magic Kingdom, I'm guessing)?

We're less than two hours away but will probably spend the night (or two), so any tips on in-park hotels, restaurants, package deals, coupons, etc. are appreciated.

TIA.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post

What's a good plan of attack for two adults and no kids?
Toke up before, during, and after.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Probably good advice but my line of work renders that option unavailable

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,025
Quote:
Probably good advice but my line of work renders that option unavailable

Tipsy
Well then, my only other advice is that New Year's Day is reputedly the slowest in the park, so it stands to reason that January is slow in general. And Tom Sawyer's Island is the place to go if you want to make out. Sorry, all I got.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:

What's a good plan of attack for two adults and no kids?
Bring lotsa vodka and rum....
Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 189
If on a budget, here's a tip..
Park at Disney Boardwalk. Its shopping/hotel/entertainment plaza that has a huge boardwalk surrounding a lagoon.
It has some expensive hotels and some night clubs, but parking is free and its just a couple hundred yard walk to Epcot. Once at Epcot, you can tram to any other parks for free. Or, you can catch a disney bus out of one of the hotels to any disney attraction. All disney buses are free.

By doing this, you can save the $20 or so bucks it costs each day to park at the parks. Been doing this for 3 decades. Its no longer a well kept secret, but is still a good way to save a little cash. Plus, the boardwalk has some adult entertainment. (Dualing piano bar, ESPN zone, restaurants, etc.) Its a really nice walk at the end of the evening as you leave the parks and the Epcot fireworks are exploding in the distance.

Best park for adults is Animal Kingdom. It closes earlier than the other parks. They did an excellent job with the animal attractions. The Everest rollacoster is awesome.

Another great park for adults is Epcot if you go during the international celebration months. Not sure what its officially called. But, you can sample food, wines, and beers from dozens of countries. Plus, they usually have some washed-out 80's band playing a free concert. If you're a techno-geek, you might like the corporate displays in the front of the park. I found them surprisingly interesting. They are not pushing product as much as they are displaying technology.

Magic Kingdom is mostly kid stuff and is most crowded.
MGM/Disney Studios park has some cool rides. The Aerosmith rollacoster is a good one. Tower of Terror is a good one.

Believe it or not, Sunday is the best day to go. Its when the resorts are in transition and there are the least number of people in the parks.

Arrive at each park early. 30 minutes to an hour early. Ride the best rides early. The crowds get bigger as the day goes on.

Enjoy.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,777
go to Universal Studios... more for adults.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,176
Animal Kingdom is great.... The train and rides are cool.

Someone mentioned Downtown Disney. Lots going on all the time. The movie theater now has a full bar and great food to dine on while watching a show. House of Blues has(d)??? great appetizers after 10:00pm for 1/2 price. The Voodoo Shrimp over Rosemary cornbread is great!

Magic Kingdom is cool for the parade to see all of the Disney characters

Hollywood Studios is really cool as well... The show in the evenings is a great one. My favorite parade is at 3:00pm everyday

Epcot: In Mexico, inside the pyramid is the Tequila bar. Ice cold SOL beer, great guacamole and decent Tequila selection. Germany has great food, cold beer and neat shops. In Italy there is a fantastic restaurant that makes stellar food and has a decent selection of beer and wine....Then the fireworks at night are spectacular.

I've stayed at a lot of the hotels, one of my favorites is the Sheraton Safari. It's completely remodeled, great beds, 2 giant pools, decent food, grill by the pool for burgers and such with a nice bar poolside as well. At night, there are movies on a big screen poolside. Price is not too bad. This is right at the entry to Disney, great location.

The Mike Ditka Resort is pretty nice and inexpensive. The rooms are apartments with washers and dryers with full kitchens and bedrooms

Any of the hotels next to downtown Disney are really nice, and if you are a Florida resident they have deep discounts that can get the prices to $60.00 or so depending on occupancy, plus it's nice to walk to Downtown and get on the buses

There is a Giardanos Chicago style Pizza close to the Sheraton Safari, Chevys Mexican or Abuelos are really good. Then lot's of the standard fare, Fuddruckers, Hooters, TGI Fridays (Late Night) and a few decent steakhouses
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
DestinationOffroad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I've never really liked disney compared to universal. Don't you have to walk to the ride you want to go on, get a ticket to ride the ride a few hours later, walk to all the other rides to get those tickets, walk back to the first ride, and still wait in a long line to get on the ride? That is what it seemed like when i went there years ago.

Then i would go to Bush Gardens in Tampa, and i would get there at 10:00 and there would literally be no one in line. At all. And it was pretty cheap to get a weekend pass, i think it still is.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,079
didn't think I had anything to contribute, but now I do..

My favorite disney ride
Old 01-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
My favorite disney ride
You've definitely been hangin out in JoMomma

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote