Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
G650x challenge talk rider feedback wanted!

Title should read " tall rider feedback wanted"

After much consideration for a lighter weight bike than my r1150gs for more off road riding I am leaning to an x challenge. I checked out the ktm 690 and f800gs last weekend. F8 seemed soggy but would be a great road bike. Ktm fit ok and was light,I think it would be the ticket with several mods. g650x can be had cheaper than the ktm where I live leaving enough$ for adventure farkles, seat, tank, screen, risers, bags

I found one but it is 8hrs away so:

How do big/tall guys like the xchallenge fit ? When modified to suit us larger guys, I am 6'3", 230.

Thanks for anyone's experience, any pics oftall folks on the xchallenge?

Inniswhe screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 08:34 PM Reason: typo
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Travlr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
size matters

Hello, I am not 6'3" or 230lbs. But I do own a couple of Xchallenges and I am learning of their strengths/weakness. They are great bikes for what they are, as is any bike. There are some mods that would be required for a person of your stature.

1. Suspension if not already done. Most used x's have a Ohlins or Wilbers installed already on the back, sometimes the front is done as well if lucky. This only matters if it is done to your specs. if not you have to redo it.

2. You will likely need some serious bar risers to accomodate standing, and you will want to stand as the seat is not like the 1150gs. The risers can lead to lengthening cables and brake lines. If you plan to do more offroad with this bike try to find a non ABS model. The ABS is not needed offroad and the bike is light enough to stop without it on the road.

3. luggage is limited without adding support to the aluminum subframe. or swapping it out for a steel subframe. I use a loop and it works great.

4. Even with the large bash plate you may want to modify it to protect the delicate shift selector shaft. It is a major job to replace the shaft as the cases have to be split. not something to do on the side of a road.

5. Stock rims are known to be soft. With your numbers they will likely be replaced sooner than later.

6. As these were a one year bike in North America, parts are getting harder to find.

Motors are bulletproof and can be reworked cheaply. Much more agile than my F8gs. Can hold their own on the interstate (easy do 75-80mph). Feel more refined than the DR's and XR's in my opinion (please do not respond with the merits of the DR's and XR's in an effort to stay on topic.)

my 5cents.
Stew
Travlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
O'B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Agree they are a steat at the prices they are going for. Read Colebatch's Journals. Any so called weak point has been addressed.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the only frustration is the cost to properly adventurize will be as much as the bike purchase price and will not be recovered should I change my direction again soon
Its a similar problem with the 690, they also need most of the same upgrades less suspension.
It does not look like a ktm 690 adventure is coming anytime soon so there is not much choice if you want a euro lightweight adventure bike.

Any tall guys out there to share their experience with the g650x challenge?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Inniswhe screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 07:20 PM
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer: 1,454
I'm a tall girl and it fits fine. legs are 38in and I stand in at 6 foot 3. The bars are fine but my arms are just as Fing long as my legs.
You should fit fine I know I enjoy having both feet flat on the ground even with the rear shock pumped up .. power is on the low side and i work on it more then my jap bikes
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
kirbybikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I don't own own a Xchallenge but I have test rode one. It felt really compact (6'4" 220), seat to peg too tight, seat to bar short. Like you said tons of mods to make it work for me. I ended up getting a Husky TE 630 and raised the seat, lowered the pegs and raised the bars. Numerous other small things also. Yes, the list of mods are simular for both bikes but the Husky felt a better fit stock. At our height most bikes do not fit out of the box and need some mods for comfort. Try this site to play with the dimensions of you and the bike. http://cycle-ergo.com/ Full disclaimer, the wife owns a lowered XCountry and I love riding it but I look like a circus clown on it!
kirbybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
the only frustration is the cost to properly adventurize will be as much as the bike porsche price and will not be recovered should I change my direction again soon
Its a similar problem with the 690, they also need most of the same upgrades less suspension.
It does not look like a ktm 690 adventure is coming anytime soon so there is not much choice if you want a euro lightweight adventure bike.

Any tall guys out there to share their experience with the g650x challenge?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
I have three friends who match your height and weight and also own challenges. They have all upgraded to the Ohlins rear and hyperpro progressive fronts. Other ergo mods were made to the risers and not corresponding cables.

Other necessary mods can be found in great detail on the xchallenge thread front page....

I have done no luggage mods and travel extended weekend trips with just a dry bag and suitable gear. I am going to fabricate a steel rear end and add Wolfman soft luggage system.

Most seem to think the gas carrying capacity is too small but I think at your height/weight and that seat being the way it is the range is just fine for a splash and dash with some stretching.

I am 6'1 and 200 geared. Ohlins rear, hyperpro front springs, and excel wheels front and rear.FWIW

jjmead1 screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 06:00 PM Reason: no cables were modified.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks folks, it seems the majority feel it can fit tall guys with some mods. I played around with the cycle ergo website. It seems very close to the 690 which I felt could fit with a reworked seat , risers, and lowered pegs. The lower pegs make a huge improvement seated and standing in my past experience.

thanks fo everyone who responded