User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #61
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Oddometer: 34
Video: Ride Day 7: Da nang to Dong Ha

Today's ride was a failry uneventful one, some nice riding over the Hai Van Pass just north of Da Nang. Beautiful scenery along the way everywhere. We got off to a late start this morning and were all pretty well hungover. My bike rode a lot better with the new sprockets and chain fitted, pity my head didn't feel the same way! Mostly Highway 1 as we were in a hurry to get to our next stop and ease the pain!

We stopped along the way for a quick bite at a KFC store in Hue, pretty greasy and horrible chicken but it was our first fast food since arriving in Vietnam and seemed like a good idea at the time!

Arriving in Dong Ha, we pulled into the Dong Ha Saigon Hotel, a fairly new place and all looked very flash and welcoming at the end of the day. What are 4 guys with hangovers supposed to do! Yep! straight to the roof for more beers!

They had imported Australian steak on the menu, so I was salivating waiting to order, then they told me they had none in stock! but I could have Vietnamese steak instead. Well, I think this was Vietnamese Buffalo steaks, because we had a hard time chewing them and I think they just ripped the horns off wiped there backsides and threw them on the plate! Man what a dissapointment after hanging out for a good feed all day!

Oh well at least the beers were cold and the beds were soft!

(They did redeem themselves at breakfast though! First real bacon we have had since being in Vietnam!)

Da Nang - Dong Ha from Steve on Vimeo.

SteveMc181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #62
AleXtz
Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer: 68
i could spent hours and hours watching at those videos of Nam cities... i find quite interesting how they manage to deal with motorcycle traffic

thanx for posting and sharing dudes

2+1 months living in Oaxaca's sierras and beaches:
http://motoviajero.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2695
AleXtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #63
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleXtz View Post
i could spent hours and hours watching at those videos of Nam cities... i find quite interesting how they manage to deal with motorcycle traffic

thanx for posting and sharing dudes
Just imagine if they were all driving cars!
The traffic is chaotic in the cities, but it seems to work and there is very little road rage!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #64
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great ride report.....

This is really a unique RR and interesting as can be. I really like those cool little bikes and seeing so many of them in one place is so unusual to me but I suppose not to some. It's really quite a pretty country and so fun to read about this trip. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #65
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
This is really a unique RR and interesting as can be. I really like those cool little bikes and seeing so many of them in one place is so unusual to me but I suppose not to some. It's really quite a pretty country and so fun to read about this trip. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Thanks Gary, I was wondering if they were getting a bit boring to watch with all the riding in them!
I'll have another video uploaded tonight hopefully, I have 3 more to go, Dong Ha - Ha Tinh City, Ha Tinh City-Thanh Hoa and then from Than Hoa- Hanoi!
It takes quite a bit of time to edit and upload each one and I am off traveling on a couple of different adventures for the next 3 weeks, so might need to wait to upload the final couple of videos.

Vietnam is certainly a beautiful country and well worth a visit! It would have been good to spend a few months there and take things a bit easier!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #66
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,306
keep up the great work..

hi n G'day Steve and the rest of your mates,,,,

earlier today spent an hour or two perusing the Nguyen Nga Centers website for clues on how and where i could bring my talents and extended resources to bear....

so i see that cousin Mike and Wendy are invested in supporting the music component of the center..awe some!!!

Sounds like you all like me have a full plate,,yet find and make the time to keep things moving for the Center...

i know that $$$ is certainly an easy medium to grease the wheels of progress...with fewer and fewer folks having less of it,,,i find that emptying the attics and garages of unwanted or un-needed medical equipment has proven a great source of goods that can be recycled and either used or bartered for other goods and services needed by centers/organizations like Ms Nguyen.

when is the next time your cousin is headin gover there???,,perhaps,,i could combine my return visit to meet up with them or even you all and wasp-man in Perth????

I'm thinking,,help me out,,
thanks,,and yes keep the videos coming,,on your time table

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #67
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Thanks for your support Woody, I have sent you a PM with a longer reply!
Mate, if you are ever in Perth, give us a yell! We all enjoy a good yarn and a beer or three!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #68
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Video Ride Day 9:

Todays ride was from Dong Ha to Ha Tinh City, around 260km's or so. mostly highway 1. A minor break down with my bikes clutch (Oil Helps) I had been a bit slack on the oil checks and hadn't worried about it too much, as the oil was just changed back in Da Nang.

I didn't realise how thirsty for oil the ole' Husky 150 was! I had finally been able to get the speedo needle over the 100Kph mark and shortly after that the clutch plates were screaming at me in agony! A quick top up of oil and all was good in the world! Lucky escape this time!

We were fairly knackered after today's ride, anything over 200km's per day in this neck of the woods on these bikes is a big ride! To the bar for more beer!

Dong Ha to Ha Tinh City from Steve on Vimeo.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #69
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

let's go back..chungta di ve vietnam va Qui Nhon

so Steve and your mates,,

i'm trying to get back there by Tet,,have some friends in denver who just happen to live in Qui Nhon and offered their place to stay....

in the mean time ,i just stumbled on another kindred spirit form italy..you'll like his RR;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post20385131

happy New Year...

shall we make another adventure,,,i have to meet Ba Nguyen....have been swamped with a jillion projects..and heading back is bubbling back up to the top..
enjoy his RR
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 07:45 AM
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #70
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post

i'm trying to get back there by Tet,,have some friends in denver who just happen to live in Qui Nhon and offered their place to stay....

in the mean time ,i just stumbled on another kindred spirit form italy..you'll like his RR;

happy New Year...

shall we make another adventure,,,i have to meet Ba Nguyen....have been swamped with a jillion projects..and heading back is bubbling back up to the top..
enjoy his RR
woody
Hi Woody,
I know a couple of the guys are heading over there in March. I have been meaning to get back in and finish this ride report, so I better get it done! 3 more videos to upload and then on to my next adventure. Taking part in the Peru MotoTaxi Junket
In November. Should be interesting! http://www.theadventurists.com/the-a...ototaxi-junket
The wife and I will be raising funds for the NNC in Vietnam.

Off to go and edit some vids and upload them in the next couple of days. Stay Tuned!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #71
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

A year later,,,,am off to Saigon /qui Ngon via a stopover in Incheon/Seoul ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post

happy New Year...

enjoy his RR
woody
Well Stev n his Aussie mates,,,,G'day

The jillion projects and loss of my mate have postponed my vision a whole year!!!!

So it's off to Quy Nhon for their big celebration honoring their king that liberated the Viets from the c
Chinese emperor.... Then it's off to see Ba Nguyen and her orphanage at last...perhaps ya can put in a good word for me....

OBTW,,are you living in Saigon???
Holler,
Woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-01-2014 at 12:35 AM