Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #196
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,308
Thanks very helpful. I should be able to get the 908rr on the 2.50 rim. I'll pair it with a good knobbly up front. I was just wondering if it was worth it at all to run a tire like scout for a long road day back to back but it sounds like like I'd be better served running dot knobs the whole trip

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #197
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Thanks very helpful. I should be able to get the 908rr on the 2.50 rim. I'll pair it with a good knobbly up front. I was just wondering if it was worth it at all to run a tire like scout for a long road day back to back but it sounds like like I'd be better served running dot knobs the whole trip
I had planned to run a scout read and tkc front on my GS 12. Any reason a tkc rear would suit better with all that mileage?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #198
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I am planning on the MT 21s. I need to do some mileage tests this summer, but for the gravel and such here in Montana they are amazing. I can run my monster at scary speeds on the backroads here, and gravel and mud seem to have minimum impact. I plan to run different tires for the ride home, but that will be almost all paved. Granted my bike is smaller than a lot of those running, and I am not sure how it compares weight wise to the KTMs. Just my two cents.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #199
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
I had planned to run a scout read and tkc front on my GS 12. Any reason a tkc rear would suit better with all that mileage?
IMO that is a good combo for a heavy bike like yours. If I was riding a twin again, I'd run a TKC in front and a Mefo in back with the hope of using only one rear tire. But if I'm going to use two sets anyway, I'll use knobby's on both ends. Very comforting when the going gets sloppy.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #200
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
I am planning on the MT 21s. I need to do some mileage tests this summer, but for the gravel and such here in Montana they are amazing. I can run my monster at scary speeds on the backroads here, and gravel and mud seem to have minimum impact. I plan to run different tires for the ride home, but that will be almost all paved. Granted my bike is smaller than a lot of those running, and I am not sure how it compares weight wise to the KTMs. Just my two cents.
Yeah I love my MT21's too. Amazing tires and affordable. I'll be using them too, but the mileage will be close even if you behave yourself during the event. If you don't, two rear tires won't get you home. My first set have 3500 miles on them and the rear still has a quarter inch of tread block. That should be enough for 2 tires to make Seattle and back. I doubt Montana and back, though. You may need a 3rd tire to get home. 'Course that one doesn't need to be much of a tire. It could be one of your take-offs in your garage.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #201
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Yeah I love my MT21's too. Amazing tires and affordable. I'll be using them too, but the mileage will be close even if you behave yourself during the event. If you don't, two rear tires won't get you home. My first set have 3500 miles on them and the rear still has a quarter inch of tread block. That should be enough for 2 tires to make Seattle and back. I doubt Montana and back, though. You may need a 3rd tire to get home. 'Course that one doesn't need to be much of a tire. It could be one of your take-offs in your garage.
Yeah, I am planning on a third set for getting home. I have a friend that will be stationed in anchorage that I will be shipping them to, so that should help. I am still figuring out how I am getting to Seattle, good thing there is lots of time.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #202
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,389
I ordered a new wheelset from Woody yesterday; based on Zach's recommendation (at Woody's) I changed the tires they're coming with from a 908/Mt21 combo to a 908/Scorpion Rally Pro. Zach was pretty emphatic about how much more he likes the rally pro so I decided to try it this time. We will see...

I gotta ask the newbie question about buddy groups; is this something I should be sweating yet? I don't know any of you characters and signed up by myself....

I used this as an excuse to buy the safari tanks for the 990 but have been running Rotopax for the last 13k miles with no issues.

Anyone have ideas on mounting an ICO to the 990?

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #203
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post

Steve
You don't need to, buy the ktm rally handover switch thingy (non technical term ) for your stock odo. It'll work like an ico, aka adjust trip back and forth.

Unless you meant one of those fancy tsd style ico's.......in which case right above your instrument cluster, tucked in behind your windscreen maybe...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #204
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
I had a blast in 2006 in my R1150GS. No way would I consider doing this on a small bike. Way too far to be uncomfortable. If I am able to get it for 2014, I would do it on my 950SE.

For those have not been to Alaska, this is a great way to do a supported trip at a bargain price. It is definitely fast paced and not a sight seeing trip. You will cover a lot of ground but there is no time to explore.

My wife expressed interest in doing this in 2010, but we opted to go up ourselves at our own pace, camp along the way and take our time. A much more relaxing trip, but going up there on the 5000 the first time gave me a lay of the land.

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #205
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Yeah, I meant the fancy one referenced earlier in the thread. Can't go high, the GPS lives there....at least for now...

Thanks!

S
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #206
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
I ordered a new wheelset from Woody yesterday; based on Zach's recommendation (at Woody's) I changed the tires they're coming with from a 908/Mt21 combo to a 908/Scorpion Rally Pro. Zach was pretty emphatic about how much more he likes the rally pro so I decided to try it this time. We will see...

I gotta ask the newbie question about buddy groups; is this something I should be sweating yet? I don't know any of you characters and signed up by myself....

I used this as an excuse to buy the safari tanks for the 990 but have been running Rotopax for the last 13k miles with no issues.

Steve
Don't sweat the buddy groups. Last couple times we just budded up with a bike in front and behind our TSD starting spot. If that doesn't work we figure it out as we go. If you are bike number 20, you start every TSD on the 20th minute after the first start time. You try and buddy 19 and 21, but it really doesn't matter. They'll assign you to a buddy group if nothing materializes.

The advance ICO is called a Checkmate. http://www.icoracing.com/

It is intended to mount on a crossbar. Of course our KTM's don't have a crossbar so either one has to be clamped on or something similar bolted somewhere up front. I'm going to probably buy a Renthal 1/1/8 crossbar handlebar because I want to mount both my ICO and roadbook holder on it.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #207
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:

Steve

Here are 2 different mounts with 1/2" cross bar....I have used the Enduro Eng. mount for several years and it works well

I just bought the RMS mount...looks like it will work, but I might have interference problems with the edge top of my SMC windscreen...
It's too cold here to mess with, so the first warm spell I'll see how it works...
I'm waiting for some more info & photos on the Rally Raid Evo2 fairing setup,so the SMC windscreen problem is only short term...

http://www.rallymanagementservices.c...igation-clamps

https://shop.enduroeng.com/cgi-bin/c...ion&key=16-035

SKINNY screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 07:21 AM
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #208
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

You guys rock! Now if I could only get the bike outta the garage for a ride...

Steve
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #209
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Bolt on Crossbar for LC8 and LC4 KTM's

My son found this for me so I ordered one. Allows me to mount a manual roadbook holder and ICO computer.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...ross-Bar-320mm

The roadbook holder is this little plastic gizmo from Sweden:
http://www.raiddesigns.com/en/produc...ok-holder.html

$77 USD shipped. Should get it next week.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #210
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
As I try to work out my logistics I still have many questions, if a guy drives to Seattle leave his truck and rides back after the event from Alaska to Seattle how does one get him bag that the chase truck was hauling? do you have to ship it or carry it or something else?

thanks Dave
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote