User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #616
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 824
Tanks & colors

Actually there is a Japanese company offering a larger tank size by 1 gal. IIRC. I read about it on a facebook page for the cb1100 but don't have the company's name with me. It was ~US$1500 IIRC.

As for color, if you want another just have the tank wrapped!
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #617
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
Actually there is a Japanese company offering a larger tank size by 1 gal. IIRC. I read about it on a facebook page for the cb1100 but don't have the company's name with me. It was ~US$1500 IIRC.

As for color, if you want another just have the tank wrapped!
$1500 for an extra gallon of gas. Seems reasonable.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #618
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
$1500 for an extra gallon of gas. Seems reasonable.
$1,400 of that goes to liability insurance.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #619
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
No wonder no manufacturers bring bikes like this to the States (or Canada).... you all are a tough crowd......

Am I the only person that's extremely excited about this bike?
I really like the looks just not enough to buy one. I liked the R model better. That bike looked fantastic but would likely be even more expensive.
2000 Suzuki SV650 race bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #620
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
No wonder no manufacturers bring bikes like this to the States (or Canada).... you all are a tough crowd......
I am waiting to see it live, decide then. Only hang up is I would need to get rid on my XR1200, and that is such a fun bike. I'm not sure the Honda will deliver the same level of fun for me... Guess we'll see in April. tp dd50
Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #621
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
What a shame that Honda is launching this new model with Canadian MSRP 20% higher than the US ($13,200 vs $11,000). With our dollars at par, seems like they'd realize that they'd sell more at lower retail, and increased volume would offset the increased costs of selling bikes in a smaller market (than the US).
This price disparity between the two markets is about the same across all bikes, cars, etc. so while what you say is true, I don't think it has much to do with Honda or the CB1100. And similar or higher differences are common between the US market and almost every other market in the world. Why there is the disparity is basically a political discussion but in the end, these are free markets serviced by private businesses and they're pricing things to maximize their profit which is their right. If dropping the price would increase market share enough to increase profits, I'm sure they would do so.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #622
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
This price disparity between the two markets is about the same across all bikes, cars, etc. so while what you say is true, I don't think it has much to do with Honda or the CB1100. And similar or higher differences are common between the US market and almost every other market in the world. Why there is the disparity is basically a political discussion but in the end, these are free markets serviced by private businesses and they're pricing things to maximize their profit which is their right. If dropping the price would increase market share enough to increase profits, I'm sure they would do so.

- Mark
Spot-on comments Mark.

The possibility that volume increase would result in enough more sales to justify lower pricing would have to be tested. I bet Honda sells a lot more CRF250L than Yamaha WR250R over the next few years, but dual-sports are low-volume bikes.

Last year Yamaha Canada dropped the WR250R's MSRP by $1,000.

J Crew recently came to Canada, and customers rebelled at the price differential, causing them to lower prices here.

Car MSRP differentials have narrowed between US and Canada considerably in recent years.

Book publishers used to charge 35% more here, and since this is printed in the covers for all to see, it really pissed off customers and put pressure on retailers (who are overcharged just like consumers), which resulted in lower book prices here.

I don't expect price parity (adjusted for currency) will even happen due to relative market size, but I am hoping a narrowing of the spread will continue.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #623
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:

no

I plan on putting many miles on this bike
and I will tour the hell out of this thing
stay tuned
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #624
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,503
touring with a small gas tank

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831213

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #625
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
thanks for that link
she is a real trooper
I have to agree with her on Pink Mountain
it was a shithole in 2008
they knew there was no gas for 120 miles
I asked the lady why do charge $1.71 a liter when no one else is that high?
she said "because I can"
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #626
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Or just be pre-planned correctly with a fuel tank capable of going the miles. Bigger bike/motor? Bigger tank.

I'm somewhat surprised that at least one Japanese company hasn't come up with the option, yet, of a larger or smaller tank on some capable bike. Smaller for city folks / stunters, larger for mileage mongers. With the right bike it could make one model easily applicable and sellable to a much larger number of customers. (I would argue that Harley is ahead of Japanese on this concept - maybe to larger and smaller extents over the years)

This is simply one mistake I refuse to make with any bike worthy of me making payments on - there is no call for being dumb about it, buying a bike that drives ya nuts on trips, and then selling it due to lack of foresight.

I'll understand tiny tanks on all-out sport bikes, but anything else... Negative. The trade-offs they make for styling could easily be adjusted for in those who worry about weight to just not fill their tanks upthe whole way.

Tanks have to be certified along with the bike, a new tank and it's a new certification, at that to many bikes being sold in the US come in a 49 and 50 state version both of which have to go through the certs and the cost add up, when costs go up profits go down.

On top of that with this bike, the fuel tank already is MASSIVE a bigger tank and much of the look of the bike would be lost.

I'm thinking the manufacture looked at the target market, and how most people would ride a bike like this and figured 150 mile tank would be the right balance of the range and tank size.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #627
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,249
I've always been perplexed that the Japanese mfgs haven't learned how to provide the market with lots of minor variations and choices like Harley and the Euro mfgs have done. They've always tended to have a take-it-or-leave-it attitude and I think it is costing them now. The Japanese have always been very good with technology and quality, but not very good at anticipating and satisfying the quirky and ephemeral nature of the motorcycle market.

I just noticed that Honda is putting a slightly larger tank on the CB500X vs. the CB500R and CB500F and many of the new Hondas have very extensive (and expensive) options available right out of the box. Maybe they're starting to listen to customers and adapting.

Maybe next year we'll get the cafe version of the CB1100. I would think the engineering cost would be very low and it would drive a whole new sales cycle after the coming model satisfies the initial (and somewhat limited) demand for a retro standard.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #628
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
I've toured on an '84 Sportster with a true peanut tank - 2.25 gallons. Even at a consistent 55 mpg it had a 120 mile range to walking. I also had a Hawk GT with a 2.9 gallon tank. I never could get more than 42-43 mpg with it so it had a range of about 120 miles too. Yes you could tour with them, but in unfamiliar territory or on many back road rides here in central MO I often had to stop at 80-90 miles for gas since the location of the next open station wasn't a given. It got old.

Just because a bike has a 150 mile range doesn't mean there will be a station conveniently located every 150 miles. If you only ride in town or on major highways or on known routes you can plan your stops. I like to ride back roads in unpopulated areas. More range is always a good thing. Short range is always inconvenient.

3.9 gallons massive?

The old Norton Interstate had a 6.6 gallon (claimed) tank IIRC and it looked better than the Combat with a 2.5 gallon tank to me. I've thought that Triumph should come out with a bigger touring tank for the Bonnevilles modeled after Norton's tank. I think it could be done and still look good. I think it could be done with the Honda also.

3.9 gallons is on the cusp for me. It's not a deal breaker, but another gallon would be a lot better.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #629
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Just because a bike has a 150 mile range doesn't mean there will be a station conveniently located every 150 miles. If you only ride in town or on major highways or on known routes you can plan your stops.
3.9 gallons is on the cusp for me. It's not a deal breaker, but another gallon would be a lot better.
I think that is what most that have not had a small tank don't appreciate. Especially out west. That next stop is never where you need it to be.
3.9 is not bad, but could be so much better.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #630
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post

On top of that with this bike, the fuel tank already is MASSIVE a bigger tank and much of the look of the bike would be lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post

3.9 gallons massive?
I read his post and had the same reaction.

Jesus, I guess some bar hoppers never realize there are roads out there to be ridden, and things to be seen.

My DR650 has about a 3.5 gallon tank... nearly doubling the cc's with the Honda (or some recent potential (that fast become non-potential due to fuel limitations) Kawasakis) and the addition of... 0.4 gallons more is now considered OMFG MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... well, now, I have to admit that I didn't realize modern 1100 cc bikes had such great fuel economy. Stupid me.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote