Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Go buy yourself a cheap multimeter. Check the voltage of your resting battery. It should be at least 12.5 volts, preferably higher. Check the battery when cranking the engine. It should not drop below 10 volts. Check it again with the engine running. I would expect some where around 14.4 volts.

Those are ball park numbers and there are posts that are more exact with the regulator used on the F800gs.

If you are getting around 14.4 volts with the engine running, it is not your stator. If the voltage is in the 15 teens or higher, it is the regulator. Readings in the 13 teens with a partially charged battery, your stator is probably going. Voltage the same as your resting battery voltage, is a clue your stator is shot.

Big drops in voltage at the battery when cranking, usually means a battery short. Battery voltage drops below 12.5 after being fully charged indicate a bad battery.

Until I did some voltage checks, I would not rush out and buy something yet. Temps in the low 30's makes the initial start on my bike a slow affair.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Your knowledge is astonishing, mr. ebrabaek, sir!

Regards Steve
Thanks for those kind words Steve. In all honesty, our fellow inmate Joel Weismann did most of the info in the beginning. I sort of just ran with it. I did fix radars in the Danish air defense though....
Thanks

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Thanks for those kind words Steve. In all honesty, our fellow inmate Joel Weismann did most of the info in the beginning. I sort of just ran with it. I did fix radars in the Danish air defense though....
Thanks
You are welcome. Yep Joel's knowledge is great. But if you (we) learn from him its then OUR knowledge as well.
And, whats important, to have a good humor. And you have. Thats why I like reading your posts. Simple as that.

No clue about radar systems but I worked as aircraft mechanic so our jobs were somehow linked....

Regards Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
You are welcome. Yep Joel's knowledge is great. But if you (we) learn from him its then OUR knowledge as well.
And, whats important, to have a good humor. And you have. Thats why I like reading your posts. Simple as that.

No clue about radar systems but I worked as aircraft mechanic so our jobs were somehow linked....

Regards Steve
Thats funny.... You made'em go up....... I made'em go down..... Cheers....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #20
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Thats funny.... You made'em go up....... I made'em go down..... Cheers....
lol didnt see it that way, but hey u are right... somehow
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2only View Post
that video shows EXACTLY what mine is doing. So........are these covered under warranty?

Thanks
Sorry for the slow reply, I don't see why this wouldn't be covered under warranty... the fellow in the video had a company rewind his stator for £120 (instead of replacing the whole alternator/generator from BMW for an eye-watering amount of cash).

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
ScubaStevieG
2wheeledadventurer

Oddometer: 15
I thought I would close my personal loop - I had a bad battery. My 2009 still had the original Exide with ~200 CCA. I replaced it with a Yuasa YUAM6RH4H YTX14H-BS Battery, pushing out 240 CCA and I've had zero issues with cold weather starts since then. The battery is definitely more powerful and the engine catches noticeable quicker than when I first bought the bike.

Its been outside during my workdays (I park on the street). Today its a balmy 26 degrees in NYC ( -3C for you non 'Muricans)

I'm going to go play with my multimeter when I get home just for shits and giggles...

Steve
ScubaStevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaStevieG View Post
I thought I would close my personal loop - I had a bad battery. My 2009 still had the original Exide with ~200 CCA. I replaced it with a Yuasa YUAM6RH4H YTX14H-BS Battery, pushing out 240 CCA and I've had zero issues with cold weather starts since then. The battery is definitely more powerful and the engine catches noticeable quicker than when I first bought the bike.

Its been outside during my workdays (I park on the street). Today its a balmy 26 degrees in NYC ( -3C for you non 'Muricans)

I'm going to go play with my multimeter when I get home just for shits and giggles...

Steve
Chilly... it's been around that here also and snowing off and on... still been able to get to work and back though. But like many have mentioned above, at these temps it does sound a little tired in the mornings. And sometimes the CANbus won't let the grip heaters come on in a random act of self-preservation on the coldest mornings.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote