Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #46
Jim K in PA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Great bike. Glad you are taking it. I think those panniers are the narrow "city" cases - pretty rare. The lighting was added, I strongly suspect.

My R100T had a windjammer on it when I got it. Removing it was the first thing I did. No regrets.

Check out www.northwoodsairheads.com for basic tools and parts. Jeff Trapp is an inmate here. I got the exhaust nut wrench from him as well as other bits like head gaskets, etc.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Viktor - Coming to a thread near you - eventually
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #47
QCDStick OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Updated picture:

Set aside the panniers, installed the new headlight, and a little simple green. Still a lot of grime and dirt, but it's already cleaning up surprisingly well!

Now, if only this rain would stop...
QCDStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #48
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Heres a shot on my 1976 R90/6 in 1985 at the Delaware Water Gap ,a few days after buying it and heading out from Va Beach to Canada:

Same bike a couple of years later at a rally in NC.

Here it is about three years ago after a little work:

As far as I'm concerned, the R90s represent one of the true high points of Airhead development because the guys in Germany got so many things rght. Good power, good fuel economy, pretty smooth and there are plenty of things that you can do to make em runn good and last.

PS: My old R90 engine just loved to cruise at 80 to 85 MPH and would returm 40 or more MPG. These days my bike is equiped with an R100 engine and I like it but the R90 was very special! I'm glad that you shucked that fairing but if you decide to swap seats, make sure you keep that double bucket. Theyre great for long distance riding.

Take care of Grandpa's bike. You'll love it!!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 01:15 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #49
targabill
no_guts_no_glory

Oddometer: 1
r90/6 BING carb question??

I have 64/32/11 and 64/32/12 carbs on my 75 R90/6 they do not have slide spring above the diaphragm, are they supposed to be there? What would happen if there missing? Where can I buy...

thanks, Bill
targabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #50
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
the springs are available from the usual sources, check snobums site for part nos.

i have fitted them to my R90/6 but still need some work on rhe carbs as am suffering from slow speed surging in city traffic.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #51
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,955
I also have an R90/6. Mine is 1975. It's not as pretty as a lot of these machines you guys have but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, ya'know. Those are the stock carbs you have and I also am running stock Bing carbs. Most everybody says adding the slide top springs is an improvement in carb response. I have them also. And it may be an improvement.

There are two versions of the carb top springs. The earlier version is a stiffer spring and the one you want is the later. The later one is thinner wire and not so stiff. Here s the number of the stiffer, early, spring; 13 11 1 335 324

The one you want is ; 13 11 1 338 134

They are not really very expensive, less than $20 for a pair. While there consider new screws for the carb tops, those get buggered up over the years and Stainless Steel is available. Use a little AntiSeize on them.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #52
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by targabill View Post
I have 64/32/11 and 64/32/12 carbs on my 75 R90/6 they do not have slide spring above the diaphragm, are they supposed to be there? What would happen if there missing? Where can I buy...

thanks, Bill

It is my understanding they did not come with the springs, but could be added later to correct issues like the slides hanging up due to wear.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #53
bjames77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Great thread. You'll love it when you get it all sorted.
bjames77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #54
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344

adding new gratuitous pic to the thread!
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #55
BMdummoyou
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Laugh Yes yes yes

I have owned and ridden many bikes, a couple ducatis a 72 triumph and burned through some turns on the latest crouch rockets. But all that I can say is that an old airhead is on another level, it does not "feel" like you are going 100 down an open stretch of road but you are and cornering is insane with that high center of gravity and the first thing to scrape the ground isn't your pegs or muffler, it's your valve cover, and let me tell you, you are close to vertical when that occurs. When I first really committed to a corner on my 74 r90 I was more scared and excited than on any other ride I had previous or since.

The only reason that I own mine was that I was desperate for a bike under 3000 during a certain part of my life and picked mine up for 2000. The guy I got it from was clearly sad to see it go but was moving on to less adventure. Best purchase I have ever made, hands down. Reliable, bulletproof, utilitarian, cool, and fun! Best bike I have ever owned hands down.

Oh and the size thing, I look like an ape on most everything I have ever ridden being 6'4" and 240 but this bike is great for my stature.

You are not going to outperform everyone on this bike but you will definitely have the most fun of anyone trying!
BMdummoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #56
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,093
Just last night we stopped at the grocery store and out front was a very tidy R90/6
Had GS bars Hella bar end winkers, and the older style bags, along with the larger fuel tank.

Had a very decent and purposeful look about it.

And a new rider aboard it who was more then happy to chat about it, nice to see people getting into riding these beasts.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #57
ChristianJS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Mine should be out of the shop today. A couple months of messing around to get everything dialed in. The weekend looks good, so I'll be logging my first set of real miles on it. I love the look and the initial few test rides I took.

ChristianJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #58
dougsdrive
Purposely Lost

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
My 75 R90 /6............. I really like cruising around town on this bike. .....................

Boojum

Very nice looking bike! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to take on a project like this. Where can I get a seat like this?
dougsdrive is offline   Reply With Quote