Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
beanmop OP
dude

Oddometer: 11
Suggestions on KTM 620 cylinder replating?

I recently traded a broke down bronco for a broke down 1999 KTM 620SX (CA plated). It looks as if if the big end bearing on the con rod gave out, causing the piston to scratch into the cylinder wall. I'm not entirely sure what the cause was as I've yet to take apart the bottom end, but I'm less concerned about that at the moment.

I've done quite a bit of searching on google and through the LC4 thread index on where's best to get the cylinder re-plated (nickasil) but haven't found a definitive answer. I'd rather not sleeve it, and unless I have to or it doesn't compromise reliability, I'd like to keep the bore stock as well. I live near Fresno CA but don't mind shipping it anywhere in the lower 48. Any recommendations?
beanmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,480
Google cylinder re-plating,a few places will come up. If its gouged they will have to repair it with heli-arc then plate it.Millenium Technologies is a good one.
Its not cheap but they do lots of them these days.
Maybe check ebay for a good cylinder. I would be more concerned about damage in the cases before I got the cylinder fixed.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,741
Howabout a picture of the piston and cylinder.

How bad is t?
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
beanmop OP
dude

I can't put up pictures for a few days (out of town) but I will as soon as I can. I'm plenty concerned about the bottom end issue but I have less questions about that. Between the index thread and a manual, I'm confident I can handle whatever damage is done there. I'm doing as much of the wrenching as I can myself. I'm excellent at taking things apart and my roommate is a licensed A&P so hopefully he can help put it back together, a weak point of mine .

I'll get a hold of millennium and see what they have to say. I don't expect it to be cheap, but I've got so little into it at this point that I don't mind throwing some money at it. If heliarcing then plating it or getting an ebay cylinder is the way to go, I'm ok with that. People don't seem to want to part with complete engines in good running condition so I don't think that option's gonna happen.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,480
A couple cylinders that would fit your bike just sold on ebay,they were pricey though at nearly 400.00

I had a 96 SC620 with a plate on it,great long distance wheelie bike and snorted off corners like it meant it,it could destroy a rear tire in a day given it's head.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
wolfmanluggage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I have used us chrome in the past very good results. google
us chrome.
woof
eric
wolfmanluggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,675
Post up a pic of the bike too please! I keep an eye out for the one I had bought new, any chance it was an east coast bike?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,120
http://kustom-kraft.com/NEWNIKASIL.html

used these guys on my last rebuild have not taken it off yet but well over 4000 miles so far
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Navin
Unwounding

Oh yeah, I use Millenium and they are excellent. Send them the piston you want to use too.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
beanmop OP
dude

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I feel a lot less lost at this point. This was the best picture of the cylinder damage I could get with my phone. I know it's not too clear in the picture, but it looks like just the plating itself. The material below it is scratched for sure, but there doesn't look to be any big gouges. I guess I'll find out for sure after I send it in but I'm going to wait on that until I find out what's going on in the bottom end. Gonna be out of town again for a bit, but next weekend's goal is to pull the bottom end out of the bike and start taking it apart.

Sorry Navin, I think the chances of it being an East Coast bike are pretty nil. The PO said this bike has always been in CA. From what I understand too, it wasn't street legal from the dealer. It was plated before 2004, but he said that if the plate expires the DMV will take it away. I haven't really looked into that but I don't see myself ever letting it lapse. Here's the bike itself.

beanmop screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 10:19 AM
beanmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
Navin
Unwounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmop View Post
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I feel a lot less lost at this point. This was the best picture of the cylinder damage I could get with my phone. I know it's not too clear in the picture, but it looks like just the plating itself. The material below it is scratched for sure, but there doesn't look to be any big gouges. I guess I'll find out for sure after I send it in but I'm going to wait on that until I find out what's going on in the bottom end. Gonna be out of town again for a bit, but next weekend's goal is to pull the bottom end out of the bike and start taking it apart.

Sorry Navin, I think the chances of it being an East Coast bike are pretty nil. The PO said this bike has always been in CA. From what I understand too, it wasn't street legal from the dealer. It was plated before 2004, but he said that if the plate expires the DMV will take it away. I haven't really looked into that but I don't see myself ever letting it lapse. Here's the bike itself.

Red X tease!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
beanmop OP
dude

Fixed, I think.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Navin
Unwounding

YES! And, no, not mine I guess. Bummer.

Navin screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 10:41 AM
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Navin
Unwounding

What mine looked like. One of about 5 in the USA as I was told.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
beanmop OP
dude

Interesting, It came with an extra set of plastics with the same graphics. I'm short the grey tail fairing though. Too bad, I like that color scheme.