ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #736
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
Please recommend some good maps and books about DV. I did a countdown DS ride from Ridgecrest to Beatty and back a a few years ago. I also road a street bike from Scottys castle al the way south throught the park, So I am vaguely familiar with the area but I need details. I want to spend a week or so there on a DS. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Get the Tom Harrison Death Valley map: http://www.amazon.com/Death-Valley-N.../dp/1877689572

and the California Trails Desert Region 4wd guide book: http://www.amazon.com/California-Tra.../dp/1930193203

Get on http://www.gpsxchange.com/ and get the Death Valley tracks from Countdowns private library (need to register).

Have fun. DV is great.
Surprisingly, the AAA Death Valley map is really good. I would also recommend Countdown's GPS tracks and the Tom Harrison map.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #737
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
I just retired, so I am new to this, If I pull my trailer into D.V. and it's late, with dark upon us, and all camp grounds are full, can I find a wide spot on a side dirt road in the monument till next morning....or will I get rousted?by a park ranger?

Don't do that, big ticket if you don't camp properly...BLM land in the Panamint Valley you can camp anywhere you want, check your map and make sure you're legal.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #738
jrsride2002
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
I just retired, so I am new to this, If I pull my trailer into D.V. and it's late, with dark upon us, and all camp grounds are full, can I find a wide spot on a side dirt road in the monument till next morning....or will I get rousted?by a park ranger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Don't do that, big ticket if you don't camp properly...BLM land in the Panamint Valley you can camp anywhere you want, check your map and make sure you're legal.

Great question, and a knowledgeable response.

Rocky,
Larryboy(IMO) is the most knowledgeable about DV. I have been reading and following his stuff for a long time now. As a beginner to all of this, I would do the same. I have already rolled into DV late one night, and stumbled on to your sceario, the ranger was a cool guy and advised us to just roll into Panamint Spring Camp ground, pay the tab in the morning, and enjoy the environment. We MAY have "accidentally" left a cold beer on the side of the road when we were driving off....

~Junior
Old 12-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #739
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Get the Tom Harrison Death Valley map: http://www.amazon.com/Death-Valley-N.../dp/1877689572

and the California Trails Desert Region 4wd guide book: http://www.amazon.com/California-Tra.../dp/1930193203

Get on http://www.gpsxchange.com/ and get the Death Valley tracks from Countdowns private library (need to register).

Have fun. DV is great.

Thanks!!.....Stuff ordered.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #740
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Please recommend some good maps and books about DV. I did a countdown DS ride from Ridgecrest to Beatty and back a a few years ago. I also road a street bike from Scottys castle all the way south through the park, So I am vaguely familiar with the area but I need details. I want to spend a week or so there on a DS. Thanks.

Besides the one's already mentioned I find the National Geo Trails Illustrated or Benchmark California Road and Recreation Atlasmap and the good old DeLorme California Atlas to be quite useful. If you put all the maps you can buy together and study them, none of them seem to have everything listed like all of them combined. Pick your poison, make notes on one to carry is how I roll.
I gave away my Nat Geo map on this last trip to a couple fellow riders from Montana I met who were trying to explore the area for the first time with a park map so it's time for a new one for me to carry also.

There's also some GPX tracks on my website, though since roads have changed I can't promise you can get through on the same roads this year. Many of the tracks were made riding on a loaded F800GS before going more lightweight, sorry I don't have the tracks more organized.

-Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #741
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Just talked to a guy in a Tacoma. Made south pass both ways. But was quite rough.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #742
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
In Ridgecrest - on the way to Death Valley

Sunny, clear and cold. Getting ready for the ride to Death Valley. Need to do some shopping first - forgot warm underwear.

Petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #743
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
just got back home, its the coldest ive been in DV day and night.
pack accordingly.

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #744
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Death Valley Info

Quote:
Please recommend some good maps and books about DV. I did a countdown DS ride from Ridgecrest to Beatty and back a a few years ago. I also road a street bike from Scottys castle all the way south through the park, So I am vaguely familiar with the area but I need details. I want to spend a week or so there on a DS. Thanks.
You have already gotten some good advice. Be sure to read all of Larryboy's ride reports on Death Valley. It will take some time but it is well worth it. I have a few reports on Death Valley as well.

The Tom Harrison Map is very good. I also plan all my DV rides with Garmin's Map Source GPS software and then load my routes into my Garmin Zumo 550. Creating routes before I leave have made my rides to DV very enjoyable.

If you have any questions, post them here and you will get lots of helpful advice from the inmates on advrider who have spent many days in DV.

Enjoy.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #745
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDakaR! View Post
just got back home, its the coldest ive been in DV day and night.
pack accordingly.
I got back yesterday. I was kinda cold - everybody I met was complaining about it. In the valley it barely got to 60. As soon as you gained some elevation, it was freezing.

I stayed at the Furnace Creek Campsite, which is pretty nice. When I came in around noon on the 31st there were only a few tent sites available with reserved signs all over the place. But after ( 1st and 2nd) that there was plenty of space.

DId ride through Titus canyon which is lovely

Went back home through Wildrose, which had a tiny bit of ice at the top of the rough section.

petzi-baer

petzi-baer screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 01:41 PM
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #746
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Surprisingly, the AAA Death Valley map is really good. I would also recommend Countdown's GPS tracks and the Tom Harrison map.
Doesn't show lippencott and that fucked me up because it shows hunter and my dumbass got them confused

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #747
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
On some maps, it shows as Ubehebe rd.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #748
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
On some maps, it shows as Ubehebe rd.

or Ubehebe Lead Mine Road.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #749
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDakaR! View Post
Doesn't show lippencott and that fucked me up because it shows hunter and my dumbass got them confused
This is my favorite map of Death Valley, short of the actual Nat Geo paper one. http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisi...%20Roads-2.pdf

It shows Lippencott and lots of other trails. I keep it in my iPhone and iPad for easy reference (note: it won't display using the Adobe PDF reader; you'll need something like GoodReader for it).

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #750
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
I got back yesterday. I was kinda cold - everybody I met was complaining about. In the valley it barely got to 60. As soon as you gained some elevation, it was freezing.

I stayed at the Furnace Creek Campsite, which is pretty nice. When I came in around noon on the 31st there were only a few tent sites available with reserved signs all over the place. But after ( 1st and 2nd) that there was plenty of space.

DId ride through Titus canyon Which is lovely

Went back home through Wildrose, which had a tiny bit of ice at the top of the rough section.

petzi-baer
Well, as I am a full time rv person,....somewhat homeless dualsport snowbird dweller,....was there in your view plenty of space for a 25 foot trailer and truck at the furnace creek camp ground? I plan to stay in D.V. 2 weeks, and meet up with one or two of you inmates for a all day loop.-----in about ten days. I ride a DR 650 and am a experienced, senior, rider (slower now?) but am relentless in getting it done.
rockydrxrvr is offline   Reply With Quote