User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
smack doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I had Jamie supply the donor shock for $40 so my total came out to $395. True, I could have just sent my VFR shock to Jamie but I heard great reviews on his CBR shock and I would have been without a shock for a few weeks. I wanted to be able to ride while waiting. I also could have found a CBR shock on ebay for $20 but I was anxious so I just had Jamie supply one of his.

The wheel on my bike with the Yamaha forks is the Yamaha R1 wheel. Yes, it looks nearly identical to the VFR wheel but the difference is in the weight. Much much much lighter. The Yamaha wheel works perfect with the forks so I just left it plus the rotors are bigger and floating where as the VFR (3rd gen) rotors are smaller and not floating.

I could have used the CBR forks but they are a little shorter and why when you can find newer R1 forks for the same price and you get the pretty monobloc calipers as oppossed to the older style CBR929/954 calipers. Plus, there seemed to be a lot more R1 forks on ebay at any given time compared to CBR929/954 or RC51 forks and brakes.

In regards to the brakes, I know my VFR brakes weren't the best. The R1 brakes are worlds better. Would I be able to tell the difference between the CBR and R1 brakes? Probably not unless I was on the race track. Again, I went with the R1 stuff because it was the same price, looks better (my opinion), and there were more available.

The 1st Gen FZ1 uses the 1st Gen R1 front forks and brakes. No monobloc calipers. I'm sure they are pretty long though but you would first need to figure out the diameter of the forks and then figure out what triples would work with them and the VFR head. Yamaha steering stems tend to be longer that Honda so Yamaha triples aren't an option on our VFR's so we stick with the CBR or RC51 triples. Keep in mind though, bikes like the FZ1 weren't/aren't produced in the same numbers as full on sport bikes especially in the states. That means, it'll be harder to find forks, etc and even harder to find them cheap. Here, a lot of racers upgrade their stuff and put the parts on ebay cheap. Hence, how I got my forks for $140.

I'm sure it would all work on your 4th gen VFR. I got the idea for my bike from seeing a VFR similar to yours with the same front end I now have on mine. In fact, I think he's over in Europe somewhere. I've seen similar mods done to VFR's from '86 to 2009 so it's all possible. Check out VFRDiscussion or VFRWorld. Tons of info. on each site. Good luck if you choose to go forward. Honestly, it's not a hard job and if anyone is deciding to buy a new bike because their VFR has crumby suspension they should look into saving a lot of money and upgrading the suspension.

Thanks for the compliments!
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote