Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #31
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'B View Post
And what are these problems you speak of?
I learned a lot about how the F650's were holding up from reading reports on Horizon's Unlimited for 5 or 6 years. (starting in 2001) That's where Colebatch started years ago. If you ever followed Smelly Biker (Bob Morely) or Maria 41 or TouringTed, Striking Viking and many others ... you can read about the myriad troubles with the F650 BMW's. But it goes much further and wider if you care to search around.

Pushed hard the F650 BMW's don't do all that well. Here is a short list of the most common problems:
Wheel bearings, head bearings, snapped off forks, Water pumps, broken shock tower bolts, ABS and ECU issues. I have pics of some of this if you'd like.

Quote:
From what the OP says are his riding conditions I thought he should take a look at the X bikes. They are a steal at the used prices they are going for. If you rode your DR like Colebatch you would be relacing items on any bike, I mean after ten thousand miles on some of the roughest roads in the world at the end of the trip he seems to always have an appointment where he ends up riding a few more thousand miles on dirt roads straight thru to make the appointment.
Don't get me wrong ... I'm a BIG Colebatch fan. I just can't justify the expense he's put into his X Challenge projects ... and the fact the bike has been essentially rebuilt after each trip.

Also, I'm not a fan of the Dakar Dash he runs. Is he a racer ... or a poser? As an old Mojave Desert racer I can tell you when you crash at high speed and go THROUGH that Alu sub frame dash ... its gonna hurt. I learned this in the 70's. I don't need a Road Book, GPS mount or any of the crap these guys run on their dash.

My DR650 has been run on three Baja trips on some fairly rough terrain, lots of washboard on a loaded bike. NO ISSUES. I'm at 50,000 miles now.
As an X racer I have some idea of what speed is and what abuse is.

Quote:
Whats he have on that Xchallenge like 130,000 miles of offroad. I have read all his reports. The Dr and KLR are great bikes but a used X is a great value also. Look at the new Xterra it is an X with a hopped up engine, and cheaper to produce components while being heavier because they used a lot more steel in said components. In a couple of years when they start hitting the used market they will make an excellent starting platform also.
I nearly bought an X Challenge. They ARE good value. With some mods they are pretty good bikes. But to make it right, it ain't that cheap to do.
The one below was near new. My DR650 out performed it in every catagory ... and felt much lighter to me. Here is the X Chal I nearly bought:

A beauty of a bike. Much sexier everywhere than my DR650. Nicer controls, instruments, better fit and finish. But not great riding. But as I said, has potential. But that ridiculous Air Bladder shock was harsh ... and the skinny Showa forks were flacid and bottomed easily. I did like the Brembo brakes! Much better than the DR brakes.

I'm also hopeful regards the Husqvarna Terra bikes. Very good start. But they've got to learn how to build a proper Swing Arm. They are using STEEL swingarms. DR650's, XR-L Hondas, KLR's and XT Yams have all had Alu swing arms for decades. I think BMW are afraid of THIS:

This is an X Country in the Mojave ... bike ridden by a novice rider. No abuse involved.

Since BMW production has shifted to Loncin, China for both the G650's and Huskies, many of the previously listed faults of the F650's have been eliminated. Some had issues from 1994 when the first Funduros appeared.
If BMW were smart they'd hire Walter to consult on doing upgrades on BMW's Sertao and Huskies Terra. I'm sure Walter could improve them both.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #32
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,778
Quote:
And what are these problems you speak of? From what the OP says are his riding conditions I thought he should take a look at the X bikes. They are a steal at the used prices they are going for. If you rode your DR like Colebatch you would be relacing items on any bike, I mean after ten thousand miles on some of the roughest roads in the world at the end of the trip he seems to always have an appointment where he ends up riding a few more thousand miles on dirt roads straight thru to make the appointment. Whats he have on that Xchallenge like 130,000 miles of offroad. I have read all his reports. The Dr and KLR are great bikes but a used X is a great value also. Look at the new Xterra it is an X with a hopped up engine, and cheaper to produce components while being heavier because they used a lot more steel in said components. In a couple of years when they start hitting the used market they will make an excellent starting platform also.
You have an X bike, what does it cost to keep? Is it simple to service it yourself or do you need a special computer to figure out the gremlins? What about parts pricing? Same for the Xterra, are parts/service priced as per a BMW or a Husky? I did read some of owner reviews on the BMW X bikes a few years back and it seems that they had a fair share of electrical issues and were known to go through the batteries... I would imagine that fixes for that stuff have long been discovered and it is more sorted by now....I also have seen pics of a couple that broke in half at the swing arm pivot when riding on rocky terrain ... The one fellow who I know had it happen down in Baja where a rock he was riding over hit this pivot junction just right and broke the bike, a bit freakish but that is not the only incident of this same breakage issue that I recall coming across... It is true that Walter has spent a lot to outfit his bike along the lines of a rally bike changing forks, shocks, some of the framework and doing lots of electrical mods to make it reliable...

The KLR and DR are relatively simple bikes from the dinosaur era... The only computerizing on the bikes is a solid state box that controls the spark {CDI}... Both of these bikes are quite simple for the owner to maintain with the edge going to the DR because of the screw and locknut valve adjustment... I would say that OEM parts pricing for these 2 is fairly high and not what I would consider cheap but with the bikes being so common there is a huge aftermarket as well as a used parts inventory out there to help lower wear and tear costs...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 01:11 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote