Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 763
That little Honda would be perfect for Mrs. Trip with its 29" seat height. Anyone know of someplace that has those for a rental? We'd love to go back to CR on motos this time, but I have not been able to find anyplace with a bike that will fit her at 5' tall and 110lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post

Honda CGL 125 (2013) for $1980 (was trying to get the 2012 model for $100 less, but they sold out)
5 speed
13 liter tank
29.75" seat height
both kick and electric start
dealership will put on a 50/50 tire
can choose black, dark blue or this grey:

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode trip View Post
That little Honda would be perfect for Mrs. Trip with its 29" seat height. Anyone know of someplace that has those for a rental? We'd love to go back to CR on motos this time, but I have not been able to find anyplace with a bike that will fit her at 5' tall and 110lbs.
Lots of people have had good rides set up by Wild Rider:

http://www.wild-rider.com/our-motorcycles/

But according to their site, the Honda XR250 is the smallest they have with a low seat height of 840mm, or 33". Still, they might be a good source to ask.

I can certainly ask around when I get there towards the end of the month.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Well, I guess I am the proud owner of a brand new Honda CGL 125! Silver one as seen in prior photos. Just received this message from the salesman in Costa Rica. My sister-in-law has a power of attorney for my wife and so we purchased the bike in my wife's name, so I guess SHE's the rightful owner. Ironic, because she hates motorcycles, would never own one...what is it they say about "never say never"?

Anyway, I'll be in CR for six weeks beginning late January and the little 125 will be my mode of transport...RR coming soon.

Saludos Paul

Todo salió perfecto, hasta el lunes pasamos a alistar la moto con las llantas.
(everything turned out fine, we'll get the bike ready with the [more dirt capable] tires on Monday)

Randall Zuñiga
Ejecutivo de Ventas
Honda.Motos.CostaRica
Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Congratulations, that bike looks like it will be a blast. I'll look forward to the RR. We were there a few years ago with a rental mini 4x4 and spent a few days climbing Cerro Chirripo and up in the mtns, then down south to San Vito and out to Puerto Jimenez to Carate and Corcovado, Then up the coast and over to Lake Arenal area. Made a couple of friends I'm still in touch with on Facebook, even though my Spanish is rudimentary at best. Be fun to go back for another visit so I think I will write to Wild Rider, especially now that I have an idea of what we'd need.
Enjoy your stay...I still remember San Isidro de General because I spent quite a bit of time shopping there for a propane canister that I never was able to find.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Congratulations, that bike looks like it will be a blast. I'll look forward to the RR. We were there a few years ago with a rental mini 4x4 and spent a few days climbing Cerro Chirripo and up in the mtns, then down south to San Vito and out to Puerto Jimenez to Carate and Corcovado, Then up the coast and over to Lake Arenal area. Made a couple of friends I'm still in touch with on Facebook, even though my Spanish is rudimentary at best. Be fun to go back for another visit so I think I will write to Wild Rider, especially now that I have an idea of what we'd need.
Enjoy your stay...I still remember San Isidro de General because I spent quite a bit of time shopping there for a propane canister that I never was able to find.
I love climbing Cerro Chirripó--have done it 5 times and hopefully will again this trip. Propane cansiter--some of the things readily available in the States can seem nearly impossible to get in other countries. I think often this happens because there are resources available that do the same thing.

So my sister in law sent me the purchase receipt:
Valor del Vehículo: 685.000
Gastos de Inscripición: 210.000
Accessorios: 0
Otros Gastos: 100.000
Total: 995.000

Gastos de Inscripción are taxes, insurance for a year and tags. But I love the "otros gastos" (other expenses or charges)! I wonder when it comes to selling it if I can ask for an extra $200 in "other charges"?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
I love climbing Cerro Chirripó--have done it 5 times and hopefully will again this trip. Propane cansiter--some of the things readily available in the States can seem nearly impossible to get in other countries. I think often this happens because there are resources available that do the same thing.

So my sister in law sent me the purchase receipt:
Valor del Vehículo: 685.000
Gastos de Inscripición: 210.000
Accessorios: 0
Otros Gastos: 100.000
Total: 995.000

Gastos de Inscripción are taxes, insurance for a year and tags. But I love the "otros gastos" (other expenses or charges)! I wonder when it comes to selling it if I can ask for an extra $200 in "other charges"?
995 Dollars o 995mil colones? Colones I assume, Felicidades! The marchama and rtv are all taken care of?
I'm hoping to buy my ticket as soon as the taca website is working again (free millas), trying for first week of Feb and a little more. My bike is in E San Isidro, going to find the hard trails near Chirripo this time. I'll rent a cell and give you my # though here or shoot me your email if you want to meet up down there...
p.s. new law says you have to wear the safety orange in the daytime now too.
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Quote:
5 times! My hat's off to you...that's a long way up. And absolutely true...I thought we might camp in Corcovado, but turns out I didn't even need it. Instead we spent 2 nites in a canvas cabina overlooking the beach...with cold cervezas and fresh cooked meals...for about $40us a nite, as I recall....the road out to Carate had a half dozen water crossings, and then about a mile and a half hike in along the beach...

Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
995 Dollars o 995mil colones? Colones I assume, Felicidades! The marchama and rtv are all taken care of?
I'm hoping to buy my ticket as soon as the taca website is working again (free millas), trying for first week of Feb and a little more. My bike is in E San Isidro, going to find the hard trails near Chirripo this time. I'll rent a cell and give you my # though here or shoot me your email if you want to meet up down there...
p.s. new law says you have to wear the safety orange in the daytime now too.
$995...dollars? I wish, no the total was 995,000 colones which is about $1990, but that does include marchama, rtv, for 2013, AND most importantly for me, they will deliver from San José to Pérez-Zeledón, about 3 hours away, right to my sis in law's house. In fact, they are delivering it tomorrow.

I'll be heading for Chirripó on the bike, and then hoping to hike it again. I'll buy a cell when I get down there, but I'll contact you to show off the new bike if you'd like.

The safety orange...the slip over thingy? Daytime as well, huh? CR is becoming too safe!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
5 times! My hat's off to you...that's a long way up. And absolutely true...I thought we might camp in Corcovado, but turns out I didn't even need it. Instead we spent 2 nites in a canvas cabina overlooking the beach...with cold cervezas and fresh cooked meals...for about $40us a nite, as I recall....the road out to Carate had a half dozen water crossings, and then about a mile and a half hike in along the beach...
5 times over the span of 15 years, so it didn't seem like that often. I lived there for 2 plus years and then on and off again for about another year total, visiting lots of times in between so I had the opportunity. Now I'll be down there with a study abroad group for 6 weeks and there's a good chance it will be yearly thing.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #25
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

A few more photos...

Mine will have more knobby tires installed, and it should be arriving in PZ this afternoon. Kind of strange, yet exciting, to buy a bike that I've never thrown a leg over...I imagine it's akin to a mail-order-bride experience.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #26
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

My sis in law emailed me and says the bike got from San José to where she lives (Pérez-Zeledón) just fine. Says it rides real nice (I think she's joking about that part). Trip begins in two weeks, but at least the bike is in place. Start of rr:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854572