Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #421
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,293
Don't hold back, tell us what you REALLY think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
Okay, I'll bite.

Enter the Royal Enfield Bullet EFI.

It now sits in my garage with the rear wheel off for going on over 8 months now and I could not give two shits less if it rots where it is parked, It is still under warranty too.

-Jake
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #422
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,129
BMW K75S. Looked sporty & fun and turned out to be ponderous & leaden.

Not nearly the hoot I expected, and I was giggling-schoolgirl DELIGHTED to be back on my 990.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #423
vellies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Okay, let me start by saying I deserve to be taken out the back and shot, I know.

I am looking for a replacement for my GSX1250FA which I have had for 7 months, and I have done just over 8,000km. While it is a good bike with LOTS of grunt from idle, quick enough, economical, comfortable, etc. it just does not excite me at all. Even TWFO just does not make me smile (and I have a Yoshi pipe on it).

Day before yesterday I walk into a KTM dealer and stumble across a 990 SMT. Loved look and the feel of the thing sitting on it, and decided to take it for a test ride this morning. Perhaps I was expecting too much from the rave reviews I read, but really did not do anything for me. Liked the gearbox, could feel it likes to rev, but it has no bottom end at all, which is a minus for me as an everyday commuter bike. Could see how it could be fun for a weekend blast though. I was really gutted after the test ride, so wanted to like this bike.

So question is, what the hell is wrong with me !!!! Am I the only one who does not get this bike? Also, does anyone know how this compares to the Super Duke, surely that has a lot more giddy up and go?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #424
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Okay, I'll bite.

I bought one new in 2010 and within 8k miles the piston disintegrated while I was rolling along at 60mph on the highway. The speedo "jiggles" around while ridding. The header came unbolted from the head while riding down I-4. The stock TORPEDO pipe cracked behind where it mounted to the header from the vibration. Several short months after I had the bike back after the warranty covered the top end replacement the rear tube let loose while doing 60mph around the block, turns out there was a washer between the tube and tire that some 3rd world worker dropped in there during assembly and didn't give enough of a fuck to fish it out before mounting everything up (Anybody notice a pattern here? They must be set to explode at 60mph :)

It now sits in my garage with the rear wheel off for going on over 8 months now and I could not give two shits less if it rots where it is parked, It is still under warranty too.

-Jake
Both of the Bullets that I rented felt like they were going to disintegrate when they got up to 60 m.p.h. They were fine for pottering along the back roads at 45.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #425
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Possible responses:

1) That's so 27 pages ago.

2) Pics, or it didn't happen.

3) Yes.

Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #426
Gooner
DC 43

Oddometer: 127
1994 CBR1000F and 2001 CBR1100XX. The bikes were both good, had no reason not to like them except I guess I'm just not a fan of inline 4s. Replaced both with VFRs and was much happier.
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #427
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
GSX1100R, no where near as fun as the 750, just slow, and awkward.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #428
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,518
Suzuki DR350.....I thought I would love it, but I didn't!

Got a Suzuki DRZ400 next and LOVED IT!!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #429
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
So Triumph built a Honda?

Because it was yellow?

No, it was black with yellow trim. The second one I lusted after was red with black trim.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #430
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I had a 1200 harley sportster. I bought this to work my way up the Harley chain. Great to look at but piece of shit. I would drive about 50 miles to the coast and have to fill up again. 2 gallon tank and about 55 miles. When I was at the gas station I would have to shake out my hands for about 15 minutes from the nasty vibrations. That was when I was in my 20's by the way. Another night I was cruising around in the wee hours of the morning with a young lady and the thing died on my. Broken battery connection at 3000 thousand miles. Pushed it to her house about a mile away and temporarily fixed it and brought it to the Harley dealer. He explained to me after my bitching that I should have know about this common issue and changed the cable out. Sold the bike after owning a year and made 200 bucks. I haven't owned a Harley since.
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #431
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogboy View Post
I had a 1200 harley sportster. I bought this to work my way up the Harley chain. Great to look at but piece of shit. I would drive about 50 miles to the coast and have to fill up again. 2 gallon tank and about 55 miles. When I was at the gas station I would have to shake out my hands for about 15 minutes from the nasty vibrations. That was when I was in my 20's by the way. Another night I was cruising around in the wee hours of the morning with a young lady and the thing died on my. Broken battery connection at 3000 thousand miles. Pushed it to her house about a mile away and temporarily fixed it and brought it to the Harley dealer. He explained to me after my bitching that I should have know about this common issue and changed the cable out. Sold the bike after owning a year and made 200 bucks. I haven't owned a Harley since.
55 miles on a 2 gallon peanut tank? That's what, a gallon and a half to reserve? Wtf did you expect? Mine had the 4.5 gallon tank, and it would do 180-220 miles between fills.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #432
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogboy View Post
Yup, in stock form, Sportsters are god awful... However, Harley makes some great bikes, the Sportster just isn't one of them.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #433
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,630
I loved my nightster and would own another in a heartbeat. Sort the suspension and it's a nice bike and mile muncher. shrug
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #434
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,833
Quote:
Okay, I'll bite.

I bought one new in 2010 and within 8k miles the piston disintegrated while I was rolling along at 60mph on the highway. The speedo "jiggles" around while ridding. The header came unbolted from the head while riding down I-4. The stock TORPEDO pipe cracked behind where it mounted to the header from the vibration. Several short months after I had the bike back after the warranty covered the top end replacement the rear tube let loose while doing 60mph around the block, turns out there was a washer between the tube and tire that some 3rd world worker dropped in there during assembly and didn't give enough of a fuck to fish it out before mounting everything up (Anybody notice a pattern here? They must be set to explode at 60mph :)

-Jake

Ugh, am I wrong to still want one?

Maybe yours was just the odd one? Maybe the ones from ten years ago were better? Maybe... I don't know - but someone please tell me Enfields are worth owning
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #435
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Ugh, am I wrong to still want one?

Maybe yours was just the odd one? Maybe the ones from ten years ago were better? Maybe... I don't know - but someone please tell me Enfields are worth owning
I'll sell you one.

-Jake