Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #16
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
I rode all the way to Panama, 6000 miles through Beliz on a set of D606's on a loaded KLR
Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,954
MotoZ Great tread, great life, easy to mount and DOT

They had their aggressive off road tires get a DOT rating without changing the aggressive offroad prowess one bit.

I am a former user of all of the above tires... MotoZ now!
http://www.brapoffroad.com/more-info-motoz-tires

You won't be sorry! No affiliation, BTW
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
I run a GoldenTyre 213 front and a Pirelli MT43 rear. Both are DOT and are great for off road use.

The GoldenTyre 213 is similar to the Pirelli MXCH and the GoldenTyre 216 is similar to the Pirelli Scorpion Pro.

I have no need for a knobby for the rear, the trials tire does it all for me where I ride.
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 5,426
the Pirelli dot trials rear, lasts forever and has great traction on almost anything.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
DualSpaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
If you only need DOT tires for a one time inspection, try going to some local shops and ask for a pair of old "take-off" tires and save yourself some money. You could probably get a 21" front at a Harley dealer, and come up with a 18" rear from a Hondakawazuki dealer.
As far as real knobbies that hold up to minor street use I've had good luck with Maxxis Desert IT's. They are heavy, but hold up pretty well.
DualSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #21
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
I love tire threads.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #22
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSpaz View Post
If you only need DOT tires for a one time inspection, try going to some local shops and ask for a pair of old "take-off" tires and save yourself some money. You could probably get a 21" front at a Harley dealer, and come up with a 18" rear from a Hondakawazuki dealer.
As far as real knobbies that hold up to minor street use I've had good luck with Maxxis Desert IT's. They are heavy, but hold up pretty well.
A splendid thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
I love tire threads.
+ 1

Me too, because photos of bikes and tires make tire threads interesting but there's nothing engaging about photos of oil in drain pans.

I do have a question for the OP: How often will you have to have this DOT inspection done?

That answer will bear on the tire changing ritual. If it's once a year then doing a change for the annual dog and pony show at DMV is not too bad. And the "find a set of knockoff tires" idea has real merit if you want to narrow the window between the inspection and reinstalling your MX quality knobs.

Another angle on that idea is to go ahead and buy new knobs, put them on and then put a couple of hundred miles on them, and then snatch them off and shelve them for the annual inspection. In the USMC I had a "special" set of socks and skivies that I pulled out only for inspections. The LT always looked at them and said, "great job!"

I have a Pirelli front and D606 rear sitting in a corner of my garage that have half their life left in them. If they would fit your bike and you were close by I'd give them to you to get them out of my way..
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote