Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,009
Yeah, that's why I said "non-milspec" and was planning a followup if anyone asked. I didn't see the "better", glass, $400 version listed at Han's website, so it's either NLA, or the cheepest part of the motorcycle didn't want to plunk down Four Bills.

Is there a source for the glass H4 conversion?

--Bill
Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post
Right! That's exactly what I told the Napa Canada rep when he asked the question over the phone last week. He basically blew me off with "We don't have anything you're looking for. Sorry." Kind of rude and perfunctory, and not at all helpful.
Yes, Crappy Tire wasn't any help either, but that's expected from them.

The references to VW and Datsun models will really help me in the right direction. That's information I was missing. Thanks hugely. BTW, in reference to the Bosch unit -- would that be part number 301 600 118? I've seen many online vendors offering this headlight.

Although going with OEM parts is the best route, I want to keep the price point under $100 if possible; I've seen the recommended upgrade parts on Bench Mark Works approaching $200. That's a bit pricey for this build.
Typical present day parts punks....When I'm looking for a part that I know won't match their books, when asked "what's it for?" I say, "it doesn't matter"....that really gets them going. The typical parts guys these days only (somewhat) know "the book".....if it ain't in "the book" then it doesn't exist....,

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
There are H4 conversions for /5 headlight buckets available. Hans Lowe carries them:
07 63 R kit 012 headlight H4 conversion kit 12V / 5 $ 115.00
Probably not mil-spec, but it's available.
--Bill
I wanted modern lighting, didn't want to pay a lot or wait for an R65/R80ST headlamp assembly to turn up, or whatever.
Bought the kit, plastic reflector shell and all.
My only regret is the lens: so crystal clear that it looks out of place on my tatty toaster.

when it really begins to annoy me, then I'll go back to the original assembly.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,009
Back in the day, "plastic lens and reflector" was EEWWWW. But nowadays, most headlights (the fitted, sleek "aerodynamic" ones) are plastic, lenses and reflectors. Technology has gotten better. Old school sez pyrex lens and metak reflector, but times are a-changin'...

--Bill
Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #20
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
The Bosch unit appears to fit fine. The glass lens may be "old school" compared to the new fangled plastic ones, but I have yet to see a glass lens get the frosted foggy look that the plastic ones do. Plus, the beam pattern of the glass lens seems to be a lot better controlled. I have polished and re-coated lots of the plastic lenses used on cars and vans. They just don't stand up.

And if you are like me and use higher powered H4 bulbs, and ride at night a lot, the glass lens will not melt. I have seen a few of the plastic lenses distort due to the excess heat of running the 80/100 watt bulbs.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #21
Schlivitz
Mercury Freefall

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
You are correct. 79-84 R65 and 83-84 R80ST however they are about $500 last time I looked.
Holy Shit BatMan! I'm gonna go out and run my kids away from my crusty old motorcycle right now!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #22
rbm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
As promised, I'm updating this thread with my experience so far.

Based on the great information I received, I contacted my local Part Source store (this is a Canadian aftermarket automotive supplier chain, part of the Canadian Tire brand) and asked about 7" round headlights for a 1972 Datsun 1200. They came up with a Hella Vision Plus 176mm HB2 Conversion Headlamp (part number 1A6 002 395 301 ). I ordered this light and received it yesterday. It fits the headlight bucket perfectly for diameter, however there is a 5mm gap between the back of the reflector and the shell. I will have to find a gasket material to fill that gap to provide pressure to stop the lamp from flopping about. The unit has a flat solid glass lens with very clear beam focus. It appears to take a standard H4 halogen bulb however it is supplied with a HB2 bulb for D.O.T. purposes. It is a very good replacement for the Slash 5 lens/reflector assembly. The only drawback to using this part is that it does not have a small bulb that can be used for a parking light. I will have to think about how I will solve that problem. I can post some pictures later when I have figured out the means I will use to secure the headlight assembly in the bucket.

Thanks very much to everyone who helped me.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post
As promised, I'm updating this thread with my experience so far.

Based on the great information I received, I contacted my local Part Source store (this is a Canadian aftermarket automotive supplier chain, part of the Canadian Tire brand) and asked about 7" round headlights for a 1972 Datsun 1200. They came up with a Hella Vision Plus 176mm HB2 Conversion Headlamp (part number 1A6 002 395 301 ). I ordered this light and received it yesterday. It fits the headlight bucket perfectly for diameter, however there is a 5mm gap between the back of the reflector and the shell. I will have to find a gasket material to fill that gap to provide pressure to stop the lamp from flopping about. The unit has a flat solid glass lens with very clear beam focus. It appears to take a standard H4 halogen bulb however it is supplied with a HB2 bulb for D.O.T. purposes. It is a very good replacement for the Slash 5 lens/reflector assembly. The only drawback to using this part is that it does not have a small bulb that can be used for a parking light. I will have to think about how I will solve that problem. I can post some pictures later when I have figured out the means I will use to secure the headlight assembly in the bucket.

Thanks very much to everyone who helped me.

hmm, so headlight spring clips won't work?? that is how the lens is secured on many bikes. Have heard that there are 7" H4 reflectors that do have parking bulbs, many use them on British bikes, the original Lucas items had parking bulbs too...

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
rbm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
hmm, so headlight spring clips won't work??]
Yes, they will.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #25
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
The parking bulb is a nice to have, but most people never bother using them as if left while parked, they will drain the battery. But, if you are determined to have one, keep an eye out for the original headlight for a VW bug from between 1950-1965, or there abouts. Most had the parking bulb socket in them back then. The originals took a 6 volt Tungsten bulb as the Quartz Halogen was not available then. But, they were often retrofited with 12 volt H4 bulbs as people converted the original Bugs to 12 volt.

Damn, I am really showing my age, with all this old stuff, from my ill spent youth, hopping up little cars (tuner cars?)way before it became cool.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #26
mpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
For those of you with the aftermarket plastic H4 lens and reflector, here's an original Bosch glass H4 lens for the /5 that you can use to replace the plastic one. I purchased one and it ended up being about $31 with shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scheinwerfer...item338500b0fc
mpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #27
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 694
Back in the 70s Cibie' made a direct replacement head light unit with rim for the BMW /5 series. The lens was concave and glass. You buy the unit, fit the bulb, pop off your old one and pop on the new Cibie'. They were quite nice but haven't seen any recently.

In the 70s I used to put 7" Bosch, Cibie" and Corello quartz units into the /5 rim. I would start by nipping out the forward hole in the rim until the lens would almost fit then fileing the edge to smooth and let the lens fit in. I would then turn the unit around and work the lens unit into the rim (after grinding off the locating clips on the quartz units). Fit all the clips and away it went. All for less than 1/4 the price of the BMW quartz units.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote