Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #31
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Not trying to toss a monkey wrench in the works, but here is my perspective.
I have the F800, had it since 09, love the bike, it always puts a smile on my face. I am 51 and have ridden all sorts of off road years ago, but find what I want to be able to ride and what I end up riding are two different terrains. The 800 is good for forest roads and some two tracks, but honestly I would take a 1200GSA anywhere I rode my 800 this past summer!
I am actually going to trade the 800, or sell, and pick up a 1200GSA, then to satisfy my off road imagination, I am going with a Husky TE511. To me you cannot take a 500lb bike safety to place you can a bike half that weight, plus I am getting older and calming down, so to speak...

By the way... all the mods folks talk about, I have done none of them, not say I would not appreciate them, but the bike has never let me down, I in turn, have most likely let the bike down numerous times!!! The F800 will take you most anywhere right out of the crate..

Just my perspective....

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #32
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
Good questions and great answers. I ened up with the F800GS and 2000 street legal XR650R. I take the 800 places it really shouodn't go. It will do it but it is a lot more work. Still fun mind you but a lot more work. I would hop on it today and ride 1200 miles to Moab and do the White Rim Loop then hop on it and ride back home. The Honda is just plain fun off road and surprisingly not bad on the highway. I wouldn't ride it to Moab but if it was there I would do the Top of the World and Elephant Hill after doing the White Rim Loop. Just not a perfect all around bike but the F800GS is as close as it gets.
That's what I've found; for the mix of riding I do (needing to cover a fair number of road miles to get to the really fun offroad) my physical size and riding ability, the F800GS is still the best "all around" bike I've come across. I have no particular loyalty to it or BMW. If Japan made something better, I'd buy it.

It is a lot harder work getting the F8 through some trails than it would be on a proper Enduro bike, or even on a 600cc Dual Sport with an 18" rear wheel. The actual number of things I've come across that are impassable for me on the F8 that I could have gotten over on a 450 Enduro, however, are very few. I am looking at other bikes to augment the F8 and I've decided I want something right at the other end of the spectrum; a Freeride or Husky TE250/310 most likely. I want something to ride specifically in places I would have no chance getting the F8 through.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #33
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 831
Maybe come up with a trailer for hauling a smaller bike behind the beemer. When you get to the fun stuff you coud ride the smaller bike. If either bike broke down you could ride the other back home .
Mr B, I too am 51 and still not figured out that I'm supposed to start growing up. Kind of feel sorry for the bike.

njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #34
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That stuff will make a rider out of anyone!

Looks like what we have here in TN at LBL.

2012 Concours 1400 | 2008 Z1000 | 1999 WR-400F
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #35
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Found a possible Bike

I found a low mileage X-Challenge about 8hrs away. These bikes seem well regarded for the off - road duty and much better entry price than a 690R so with the savings put towards adventure mods it may be the tool I need.
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #36
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Had to Google "X Challenge." Looks like a bike I'll put on my short list for dual-sports.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #37
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
Maybe come up with a trailer for hauling a smaller bike behind the beemer. When you get to the fun stuff you coud ride the smaller bike. If either bike broke down you could ride the other back home .
Mr B, I too am 51 and still not figured out that I'm supposed to start growing up. Kind of feel sorry for the bike.

You forgot to say "it's steeper than it looks"

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #38
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
bought the xchallenge. Picked it up in maine during the wicked blizzard couple weeks ago

Had to stop and ski Sugarloaf on the way home, could not pass up the powder

Thanks to all that commented
Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #39
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
bought the xchallenge. Picked it up in maine during the wicked blizzard couple weeks ago

So, you snagged it! Good for you!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #40
redviffer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by [IMG
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/craigster_bucket/DSC07751.jpg[/IMG]
I used to take my 1200GSA up and down stuff worse than this, in fact one of my descents looking back on it I wouldn't even take my mountain bike on it now. I was just super keen to try and take it anywhere. After dropping it enough I learnt its limitations or worse how heavy it became to pick up. I've now got the F800GS and if ridden slowly or carefully enough I'm pretty sure there are few places you couldn't take it. It is a tall bike though and quite large and I am 6'2" so climbing steep stuff is case of hold on, gas it and hope for the best.

The other good thing was when you load up a 1200GSA heavy for long road touring its just stupidly heavy and very easy to topple in a carpark and if you're on your own you won't get it back up without unpacking it, righting it then repacking it. By having the 800 your already nearly 50kg lighter to begin with. If you fix the seat, screen and exhaust its pretty similar to a 1200 anyway.
redviffer is offline   Reply With Quote