ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #226
almissoula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
I think I will take you up on your generous offer. Just need room for my Kia van & an itty bitty trailer with an itty bitty bike. Just need info on where & what day/time. Will settle up with you when I get there if that is OK?
Sure thing, just sent you info, let me know if you don't get it. Motorcycles don't count toward the vehicle limit either
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #227
almissoula
Adventurer

Lake Isabella?

Route planning, I've never been and could go up through there or through Tehachapi, but that looks like a tarmac. Can I ride through Lake Isabella this time of year? aka, is there snow?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #228
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by almissoula View Post
Sure thing, just sent you info, let me know if you don't get it. Motorcycles don't count toward the vehicle limit either
Got it thanks so much.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #229
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Route planning, I've never been and could go up through there or through Tehachapi, but that looks like a tarmac. Can I ride through Lake Isabella this time of year? aka, is there snow?
Sure can. Elevation at the lake is actually below 3000'. Pick up some crack on your way through. Just an FYI, going up the 178 is quite curvy and could be icy depending on the time of day. Personally, I'd just stay on the highway and get your butt to DV.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #230
almissoula
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
...just stay on the highway and get your butt to dv.
10-4
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #231
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Sure can. Elevation at the lake is actually below 3000'. Pick up some crack on your way through. Just an FYI, going up the 178 is quite curvy and could be icy depending on the time of day. Personally, I'd just stay on the highway and get your butt to DV.
Bah. I went up and over Greenhorn (155) in snow and ice, in the dark in 2009. No worries. I might be considered mildly tilted, though...

Either way, down at the lake, you'll be fine as there won't be anything.

I would avoid 178 as there is usually a lot of traffic on that road since it is the main route out of Bakersfield I think.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #232
almissoula
Adventurer

[QUOTE=longtallsally;20396642]Bah. I went up and over Greenhorn (155) in snow and ice.../QUOTE] Snow and ice?....Superman es no here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DophgmxXnsM
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #233
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #234
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Do they sell fireworks near or in Beatty? Obviously not for blowing off at camp but for the 4th of July.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #235
mr. thumbs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt joker View Post
Hey Thumbs, we've got room if you're tent camping.
Is this Mike, the same Pvt Joker from DRN?
mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #236
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,417
Quote:

I like that route. Lots of canyon curves before Isabella and some mountain curves on Walker pass at the Eastern end. Walker gets some snow, but it does not last long. So can Tehachapi for that matter. Check Caltrans before you go.

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 10:14 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #237
2wheeljunkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I like that route. Lots of canyon curves before Isabella and some mountain curves on Walker pass at the Eastern end. Walker gets some snow, but it does not last long. So can Tehachapi for that matter. Check Caltrans before you go.
Yep, 178 is a hoot. I commuted the canyon for years. Ice is rare but possible under the right conditions. I'd take 178 over 58 though Tehachapi any day...unless you're driving and pulling a trailer. 58 is a complete bore and honestly not much faster. I drove up 178 yesterday and it was perfect- It's dry, it was sunny, and it's starting to green up so it's real nice. 155 is an ice rink up top and I wouldn't go near it. My plan is to ride 178 up to Kelso and then head south and pick up Jawbone out to the 14. North to Indian Wells Brewery for a quick beer and then on to DV. Not the quickest but a little dirt on the way anyhow.
2wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #238
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Yep, 178 is a hoot. I commuted the canyon for years. Ice is rare but possible under the right conditions. I'd take 178 over 58 though Tehachapi any day...unless you're driving and pulling a trailer. 58 is a complete bore and honestly not much faster. I drove up 178 yesterday and it was perfect- It's dry, it was sunny, and it's starting to green up so it's real nice. 155 is an ice rink up top and I wouldn't go near it. My plan is to ride 178 up to Kelso and then head south and pick up Jawbone out to the 14. North to Indian Wells Brewery for a quick beer and then on to DV. Not the quickest but a little dirt on the way anyhow.
Did 178 on 30th and on the second. It was dark and really cold when I drove up on the 30th. But I had lots of fun when I took it on the way back around 3 pm. Lovely road and very scenic.

Petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #239
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. thumbs View Post
Is this Mike, the same Pvt Joker from DRN?
That's me. Its great to find old friends again. A few buddies and I are coming out to DV for this and moto camping.
pvt joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #240
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Nope, not gonna make it....... Just too many things coming up towards the end of the month.... Had delusions of grandeur riding around and partying w/you FF's..... This is the fourth trip I've planned that has fallen through. Some day I will get my bike over there again and store it in the LV area - Trips will be much easier then....

FUCK.